cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tow bar & flat towing questions.

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
I have a deposit down on a 34' 2005 Fleetwood expedition with a Cat diesel. The seller has a Ready Brute tow bar rated for 8000# he said he would sell for half the new cost. Is this a good tow bar? Can a Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 be flat towed? The pickup is a 4 door short bed. Our car is a front wheel drive Mazda 6 if necessary I may trade the car off for something we can tow.

Thanks Mike
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000
12 REPLIES 12

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
Lastly, depending on how old it is, don't know if half price is a good deal. If it's a couple years young it is a great deal. If 10 years old I might opt for a new one myself.

The unit in the photo is no more than a few years old, Bill. The built-in brake activation indicator switch and the Zerk fittings on the arms are recent additions in the past 3-4 years as I recall. My 10 year old ReadyBrute doesn't have them.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like said, you didn't say what engine the motor home has. Fleetwood used the Cat C7 during around that time. Like some one said a big load for towing

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since the umbilical cord is a BlueOx product, I am assuming the ends are too. But....if that's the baseplate at the top, that looks like a roadmaster. BlueOx has the removable tabs so you don't have the 'tow bar' look on the front of your toad. Snap a quick pic of the ends and we'll be able to tell you. I would wager that bar is less than 5 years old.

Click HERE scroll down to Clevis Connectors and determine which one looks like yours. Also, view the videos etc. They will tell you everything about this product...good luck...Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
The ReadyBrute is an excellent choice. We have been using ours for, I believe about 9 years also. When we moved it to current coach three years ago I didn't reinstall the red light to the drivers seat that tells you when it is braking. It has been a great tow bar & you can absolutely send it back to NSA for a no charge inspection if you like. Lastly, depending on how old it is, don't know if half price is a good deal. If it's a couple years young it is a great deal. If 10 years old I might opt for a new one myself.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
I agree it would be worth having someone knowledgeable inspect the tow bar.

Most of the tow bar manufacturers have a re-build program.. we had our Falcon II tow bar re-built for 150 bucks, so.. buy cheap, send it in, get it back looking and acting like new.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Air brakes??? This Is all it takes

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I agree it would be worth having someone knowledgeable inspect the tow bar. I do note from the photo though, that it's the newer model with the internal brake light switch and Zerk fittings that were added just a few years ago. The photo doesn't show the arm ends though, so we can't tell which base plate it's set up to mate with. The Blue Ox tow bay linked above is slightly lighter duty at a 7,500 lb rating than the 8,000 lb rated ReadyBrute Elite. We've used our ReadyBrute Elite for over 60,000 towing miles with no problems to date. Keep in mind the ReadyBrute Elite includes an integrated auxiliary brake system that you would have to buy in addition to other brands. Auxiliary brake systems alone can easily cost $500-$1000.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
What you are looking for

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
How old and how many miles was the tow bar used? Might have an expert carefully look it over before pulling a hearty truck like yours. Tow bars have a finite life span as well.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t comment on the tow bar. But the Ram can be flat towed. Should be info in the owners manual. Just shift the T-case to neutral and pull the key I think? That part I’m not sure on. However that will be quite a load for that coach!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Gundog
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
We've been using the ReadyBrute for 9 years with zero problems. Since it's a surge brake configuration there are no other hookups. We've used the BlueOx baseplate on our last two toads. You will love the tow bar. Also, if you contact Night Shift Auto they have installers nationwide that will hook up everything for you. i.e. cabling etc. I also recommend buying the ReadyBrake for $100. This stops the toad in the event it breaks away from the towing vehicle.....Dennis

On edit: Check to see which 'ends' are on the tow bar or ask the seller. The ends attach to whatever baseplate you use. There are different ones for different baseplates. i.e. Roadmaster, BlueOx etc. These ends are replaceable but expensive...D

Thanks it may have that part with it there is an electric cord and some other parts & cables included with the tow bar. Here is a picture I took of the tow bar.
2005 34' Expedition Cat C7 Allison 3000

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
We've been using the ReadyBrute for 9 years with zero problems. Since it's a surge brake configuration there are no other hookups. We've used the BlueOx baseplate on our last two toads. You will love the tow bar. Also, if you contact Night Shift Auto they have installers nationwide that will hook up everything for you. i.e. cabling etc. I also recommend buying the ReadyBrake for $100. This stops the toad in the event it breaks away from the towing vehicle.....Dennis

On edit: Check to see which 'ends' are on the tow bar or ask the seller. The ends attach to whatever baseplate you use. There are different ones for different baseplates. i.e. Roadmaster, BlueOx etc. These ends are replaceable but expensive...D
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG