cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Want to remove outdoor speakers.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
Been searching to find a way to remove my outdoor speakers. Every camper I have ever had always had issues with water getting in behind the outdoor speakers over time. I caulk and caulk but the water always seams to get in behind the speaker at most times through the speaker itself past the "waterproof" speaker grills. We do not use the speakers so is there a company that makes a plug or insert to simple remove the speakers and simply seal in a permanent plug for the 4" hole? Been searching with no luck. Thanks!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
2015 Heartland Big Country 3650RL
Great Smokey Mountains
16 REPLIES 16

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
irishtom29 wrote:
westend wrote:

If you have paper cones, now, you could try a cheap fix--buy a small container of "Puzzle Coat" at a craft shop, paint the cones and surrounds with the coating. It will alter the sound but not so much that it will make it unbearable.

Itโ€™s my experience in 50 years as an audiophile (tube electronics, electrostatic and horn speakers etc.) that when people treat speaker cones it always makes them sound better. Well, to the owner anyway.

LOL, especially with the high audiophile grade speakers used in or on an RV, that a pair can be had for about $11.50 on Ebay.

Path1 should of replaced the speaker cone with a chunk of cut apart frisbee, probably would of sounded great.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

If you have paper cones, now, you could try a cheap fix--buy a small container of "Puzzle Coat" at a craft shop, paint the cones and surrounds with the coating. It will alter the sound but not so much that it will make it unbearable.

Itโ€™s my experience in 50 years as an audiophile (tube electronics, electrostatic and horn speakers etc.) that when people treat speaker cones it always makes them sound better. Well, to the owner anyway.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
path1 wrote:
I cut out a frisbee and glued it in hole. But not sure for long time test. Sold that RV about 2 yrs later, so unsure of long term.

I bet that looked good :B

Looked great, sorry I didnt explain every minor detail of how to take off or how to use a screwdriver or how to put original covers back on.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
wrvond wrote:
Here you go:

Sea Choice covers.
Thank you!!!!!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
path1 wrote:
I cut out a frisbee and glued it in hole. But not sure for long time test. Sold that RV about 2 yrs later, so unsure of long term.

I bet that looked good :B
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
My dad removed the speakers and his trailer and covered the holes with lights.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

wrvond
Explorer
Explorer
Here you go:

Sea Choice covers.
2022 Keystone Cougar 24RDS
2017 F350 Lariat 6.7L DRW

path1
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the siding, you can buy new material to cut and fit. I have mobile audio speakers in my truck made with carbon fiber, no leaks. Infiniti brand makes many speakers with polymer cones, as do various marine speaker brands, they don't leak.

'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RVhiker
Explorer
Explorer
I removed the speakers from the side of my trailer for the reasons the OP listed. There was a large hole that had been cut for the wiring; the large hole I covered with a piece of Eternabond. There were two screw holes I filled with caulk.
There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Jackerjack idea, riven.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Don't use Flex Seal. That stuff doesn't hold up very long. It's a temporary fix and you'll have the same problem. Use good RV caulking like ProFlex.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

ulvik
Explorer
Explorer
riven1950 wrote:
Just thinking, if you never plan to use the speakers, remove them and waterproof them from the inside. You may be able to seal the grill with something that will make the grill waterproof and not noticible from the outside. ( some thing on the order of flex seal or a good caulk, would not have to be pretty ) Then caulk around the edges and you don't need to fill the hole or buy a cover. If you change your mind later just buy new speakers.

Great idea did not think of going that route. Wonder if I sprayed expansion foam on the back of the speaker cone and trim it to fit back into the hole if that would hold up?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW
Great Smokey Mountains