cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Built in propane tanks

LoveTwoCamp
Explorer
Explorer
We were looking at an older (1996) class C. It has a built in propane tank. Are they dated like the portable tanks, and require testing at regular intervals?
og
2000 Holiday Rambler AlumiLite 28'
2004 Silverado 2500HD, 4X4, Crew Cab, Duramax/Allison
Reese Dual Cam
Two 6 Volt Batteries with Control Switch
Prodigy Controller
5 REPLIES 5

Stim
Explorer
Explorer
I had fill station refuse to fill one because the handle stem leaked if it was half opened.
All the way open or closed it did not leak.
I tightened up the nut on the handle stem sealing the stem and it didn't leak anymore!
Got it filled.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
NO........
Permanently mount propane TANKS fall under the ASME/NFPA jurisdictions and do NOT have re-certification requirements
Permanent mounted TANKS need to be replaced if heavily rusted/pitted or damaged due to accident/fire

Portable propane CYLINDERS fall under DOT jurisdiction and do have re-certification requirements.
OPD valves, Inspection/certification 12 yrs AFTER date of Mfg stamped on collar (10 yrs in some places....requirement was changed from 12 to 10 then rescinded for review but both 12/10 can apply)

TANK vs CYLINDER
Two propane vessels but different
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
What eubank said!

I was told during one fillup my tank was questionable. I spent a few hours sanding and repainting my tank and inspecting it for deep rust. Fortunately, it was all surface rust.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that the motorhome you're looking at has fixed-mount cylinders, not ones that can be removed. IF so, then you have ASME cylinders, not DOT cylinders. ASME cylinders do not require recertification; DOT cylinders do. (That said, if your cylinder is in bad shape, then fillers can refuse to fill it.)

Here's a bit more propane info for you:

https://salem.wbcci.net/files/2018/06/propane-workshop.pdf

๐Ÿ™‚
Lynn

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Getting them recertified can be a challenge.