cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Airing down

Cober83
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you that get off the beaten path with your truck/camper rig, I'm wondering if you can share what air pressure you typically air down to when needed?

I have a 2006 F350 crew cab/short box 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel. It hauls a slide in Palomino pop up camper that is probably just over 2000lbs fully loaded. Tires are 285/70R18 Nitto EXO Grappler 10plys on factory 18" aluminum wheels.

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Cober83 wrote:
I have a 2006 F350 crew cab/short box 4x4 with the 6.0 diesel. It hauls a slide in Palomino pop up camper that is probably just over 2000lbs fully loaded. Tires are 285/70R18 Nitto EXO Grappler 10plys on factory 18" aluminum wheels.

Cober,
A few things. 1st, even with a Palomino pop up fully loaded it would be interesting to see the scales below 2500 pounds, depending on the fill level of your tanks and stuff you carry back there. Without weighing the rig one wheel or axle at a time, these numbers are just hopeful guesses. You do have a great carry-ability with a 350 and a pop up, especially if you have the upper secondary spring(s) or Stable Loads.
2nd, the 06 F-350 did not come with 18 inch wheels, so they must be take offs from a newer truck, which is good. 16 inch and 18 inch truck wheels have the best chance at fitting a tire with a high load capacity. 17 inch wheels, not so much.
Since every rig has different tires, wheels, weight per axle, the best way to find out what tire pressure to use on sand is trial and error. The significant preparation for this is having a way to reduce the pressure quickly (I use an ARB deflator which actually unscrews the valve core needle out of the stem quickly and with control lowering the pressure with a nice big dial indicator to get it down to the exact pound. The next 'must have' is a way to get the tires back up to pressure once you get back to pavement. I've used a variety of appliances, and have two approaches:
1. 25 pound CO2 tank with appropriate cold resistant hoses, hardware and gauges. We use this when airing up every single day after the sand run is complete, like at Moab for a week. I can get 28-32 complete tire fills with this set up.
2. For occasional use I now have a Viair 440 which is nice with truck tires with a 65-80 pound max inflation. They now have some with a 100% use rating. Do not get sucked into buying a cheap China Freight 12v compressor as the 3 of mine went south very quickly.What was that definition of crazy, trying something over and over and expecting a different result.
Here is my go-to inflation on different surfaces with my 10,400 pound truck camper.
1. loose dirt or sandy roads; fairly smooth surface and driving up to 40 mph: FRNT 32 pounds; RR 30 pounds. But this takes into account my wide super single wheels which can do well with less air than a narrow wheel.
2. soft sandy track or hard beach sand: FRNT 25 pounds; RR 22 pounds.
3. blow sand or dunes: FRNT 20 pounds; RR 18 pounds which is the absolute lowest I go unless my life depended on it. If images speak louder than words, here a a compilation of short vids of a trip we make with Bro John to the Anza Borrego and actually going up the great sand hill called the Diablo Drop Off. click on these for some action:Every one of these had a different tire pressure that ran the gamut above. jefe
https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0j10uxr4sn8jrx/end%20Sandstone%20Cyn%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9nmnfudkr1ngyj8/U-turn%20in%20sandstone%20cyn.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xg1lwe92448ry7z/Mogols%20at%20great%20sand%20hill%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9nfstvqf6hk4ab/up%20Fish%20Cr.%20Anza.m4v?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfj5y93wsd7vfkw/jefe%20does%20sand%20hill%20at%20dry%20wash%20of%20the%20devil%20Anza.m4v?dl=0
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
Just went through this at Pismo Beach last week. When I got there, I initially aired down to 30psi for the drive from the entrance to the campsites. I turned in towards the dunes and got stuck in about 50 feet. A regular in a 4x4 hauled me to the top of the small hill and I tipped him $20 for his trouble. I was able to drive a little ways further on my own. Over the course of the next day the wind blew in so much sand I ended up burried in a hole. I aired down to 15psi and shoveled enough and much to my surprise, I drove out with little effort. I drove down to the beach, maybe 150 yards and then proceeded to air back up.

I wouldn't drive very far at 15psi but if your stuck, it's an option to give you the float you need to stay above the sand.

A couple of notes... Get some airdowns on Amazon to help speed the process up and also buy a good air Chuck that stays on the stem on its own. This will save a lot of effort in deflating and inflating the tires.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
If we are talking loose sand, then I air down the rear to around 35psi and the front to 30psi. You want the tire to have a good bulge so it gets wider.

I run 17" 305 nitto terra grapplers.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

Not for sand.

Where have you seen sand in this topic?

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
Cober83 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies! Tattobob, I'm wondering what tires you're running? That sounds like a good starting point for me.

I meant to say 18 to 20 instead of 10 to 20
I look tomorrow and let you know, But I think they are Firestone all terrain
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Cober83
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies! Tattobob, I'm wondering what tires you're running? That sounds like a good starting point for me.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
There is no "One set fits all" for it.
If you want to be perfect - scale your axles, then go to tire manufacturer site and use the pressure for the weight they recommend.
Rule of thumb is put the % of max tire pressure (molded on the tire) matching % of max load the tire is holding.

Not for sand.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I drive on the sand/beach exclusively and what I air down to is front 10 to 20 and rear 25 to 30
if the sand is soft I can go lower but that's my starting point. My camper is probably 1000 to 1500 more than yours but the truck is similar
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
There is no "One set fits all" for it.
If you want to be perfect - scale your axles, then go to tire manufacturer site and use the pressure for the weight they recommend.
Rule of thumb is put the % of max tire pressure (molded on the tire) matching % of max load the tire is holding.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I don’t air down most of the time but when I see or feel evidence of a soft surface, I do. I also follow others and watch their tires. However, I do at Oceano Dumes prior to entry.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad