cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We FINALLY did it

dottie999
Explorer
Explorer
After shopping and dreaming about it and looking back missing many opportunities we finally bit the bullet and bought our first motorhome. We are soon to be proud owners of Jayco Greyhawk and we can't wait to get in it !!
Our next hurdles other than figuring everything out will be dolly or 4 down for our Equinox, but baby steps, because it's taken us years to get here. ??
9 REPLIES 9

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
You really may only need to purchase NEW the baseplates for whatever veh you have to tow. Tow bars and other stuff is readily available on craigs list for pretty low prices. Check it out before buyin new stuff. I see roadmaster towbars out here on CL (tucson) for maybe $250 with cables etc. There is a wrecking/salvage yard in Yuma that usually has baseplates etc advertised. Just a suggestion. I have also seen brake systems for about 1/3 price new, again look and see. here is a sample:

https://tucson.craigslist.org/search/rva?query=tow+bars

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/rvs/d/rv-tow-braking-system-brake/6669281717.html

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations, maybe we were looking at the same units yesterday in Smirhville. I looked at several units and definitely liked the Greyhawk the best. But I’m going to stay with 12 yr old Outlook, it does everything I need.
As for the toad, read the Equinox’s owners manual. The section for recreational towing. It will tell you what can or can’t be done, depending on what model, driveline etc. Some cars can only be towed 4 down, some only on a dolly. But all can be towed on a trailer.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
For the cost of towing equipment, tow bars, electrical harness, tire wear, all that.

depending on your usage, you can rent a U-Haul car transporter 25 bucks a day, and you can back it up. they are great for 2-3 times per year long distance.

moving every day, hook and unhook, you can load a trailer faster than hooking up, and you can buy a car trailer quite cheap.
some cars require special equipment be added to tow 4 down, (do your home work on your car) towing 4 down is a very popular way to go, but it isn't perfect.

We also use a trailer to haul our car. Mostly because we already had a trailer, that I use to haul antique farm tractors on.
If you go with a trailer, use an equalizing hitch with sway control.

Dusty

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats and enjoy your new home on wheels. As they say, better late than never.

jamesham
Explorer
Explorer
Remco is a great site for determining what you need to tow your Equinox 4-down. The URL is: www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store. Depending on the year, it looks like all new towing equipment would cost $3,000 to $3,500.

For reference, Camping World has a tow dolly with electric brakes on sale for $1,749 at this URL: www.campingworld.com/roadmaster-universal-tow-dolly-with-electric-brakes.

I would never buy it from Camping World just because I protest their 20 year loan agressive sales practices on new RV's, but to each his own.

jh

dottie999 wrote:
After shopping and dreaming about it and looking back missing many opportunities we finally bit the bullet and bought our first motorhome. We are soon to be proud owners of Jayco Greyhawk and we can't wait to get in it !!
Our next hurdles other than figuring everything out will be dolly or 4 down for our Equinox, but baby steps, because it's taken us years to get here. ??

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
For the cost of towing equipment, tow bars, electrical harness, tire wear, all that.

depending on your usage, you can rent a U-Haul car transporter 25 bucks a day, and you can back it up. they are great for 2-3 times per year long distance.

moving every day, hook and unhook, you can load a trailer faster than hooking up, and you can buy a car trailer quite cheap.
some cars require special equipment be added to tow 4 down, (do your home work on your car) towing 4 down is a very popular way to go, but it isn't perfect.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

jamesham
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations. Welcome to the joys of motorhome ownership. Expect some hidden repairs as you begin your ownership. Also expect an uncontrollable urge to buy small little things at Camping World that really add up at the cash register.

Google the topic of car towing and read everything BEFORE you invest thousands. There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods. And there are solid ownership reasons given from both types of towing why their particular method is the only way to go. Some depends on where you intend to go, and how long you want to keep the same tow vehicle. It also depends on your stay habits...do you intend to drive to FL and stay in the same place for 4 months, meaning only 1 hook/unhook? Or are you planning to explore and unhook every single night?

Best wishes, and great luck.
jh

dottie999 wrote:

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats, enjoy your travels.
We'll be waiting for your questions.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats.