cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storing TC on lawn

HUNTERJEFF
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the process of moving and I currently park my TC on a blacktop driveway. The house I am moving to doesn’t have a paved driveway so I will have to park on the lawn. I am looking for any tips. I hope it doesn’t make looking the TC much harder.
Thanks Jeff
38 REPLIES 38

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
We were gone over the weekend and it rained a lot! I had an AF 1140 sink even with the 12x12 pads under it, it stopped when the bottom of the TC hit the ground luckily, it rained for 6 days straight and we were in Vegas.

Well... I am in Vegas and it happen to me after 1 day storm (we don't get more than that at 1 time).
Desert dirt doesn't take water for about 1 hr, but once it starts, you have mudslide very fast.

Should have said that "we" were in Vegas...the camper was on the mountain, right where it was sitting in this pic

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Jeff, I live close to you and the amount of snow n rain we get, I'd make sure your on solid ground. If a new home (not just new to you) the soil will not be "virgin", you will have settling. I know this area well and if I were you, I would go down at least 18" (24" preferably).If not virgin soil, you'll have gotten well below the topsoil. I would dig four holes 18"x 18", where your legs will be and fill with 3/4" or larger stone (or item four)tamped every 4". On top use either p/t wood or SOLID concrete blocks at least 4"thick. If your around Pine Island /Goshen in the Black Dirt, I'd go deeper. Wet grass is slippery, be careful when backing under,or as said use mat's or boards. PM me if you wish.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
We were gone over the weekend and it rained a lot! I had an AF 1140 sink even with the 12x12 pads under it, it stopped when the bottom of the TC hit the ground luckily, it rained for 6 days straight and we were in Vegas.

Well... I am in Vegas and it happen to me after 1 day storm (we don't get more than that at 1 time).
Desert dirt doesn't take water for about 1 hr, but once it starts, you have mudslide very fast.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Mountainkowboy, how did you get your TC off the ground?

Just pushed extend on the jacks, lifted it right up. Put my belly supports under it and retracted them...easy-peezy. :B
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unpacked sand is a different problem though, right?

Mountaincowboy, how did you get your TC off the ground?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
This is what happens when you dont put a pad under the legs...

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reality Check wrote:
Oh dear me...all these responses- just put a piece of wood under it. The things aren't that heavy.

You have got to have a chunk of 2x6 sitting around somewhere.

No room for practicality here....back to your regularly scheduled program!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Especially if the camper is older, storing it on its jacks is inviting trouble.
I’ve gotten some great deals on camper parts over the years from people who did that.

Some people do not take into consideration the snow load and in my one case,the water load..Yup,put a TC cover on it and the rack on top had the cross bar so luggage would not slide forward..It turned into a big swimming pool full of water to the top edge of the rack.Quite heavy I would assume..

When I take my camper off for long term,I use cinder blocks,three at each corner with a 2X12 across..Lessons the worry of snow load and support.

I would build some sturdy saw horses for a new TC if I had one.Something like Torklift Camper Packers rated at 6K..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

finsruskw
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the tires painted white and 1/2 buried in the grass surrounding the TC!! insert smiley face (here)

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
I’ve gotten some great deals on camper parts over the years from people who did that.

I always have support under mine when its off-truck..in fact I've done it with all my TC's

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oh dear me...all these responses- just put a piece of wood under it. The things aren't that heavy.

You have got to have a chunk of 2x6 sitting around somewhere.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I don't trust the jacks or there anchor points, so I use other supports along with the jacks,rated for the weight needed.

Saw horses leaves less of a footprint(lawn or other) than most of the other supports.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I have had concrete pavers crack under mine.

Search Amazon for: Camco RV Stabilizing Jack Pads

They work great even for a heavy camper.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!