cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Leave water in fresh tank ?

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
I was told every time to drain the fresh water tank when not using for a week or so
I see the PO has Aqua Fresh in a bottle but how the heck would I get it in the tank ?
I know how to fill with a garden hose but not dumping it out of a bottle in the tank
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
46 REPLIES 46

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I agree. Not to worry about a week's time. I never bothered to put any kind of additive in the fresh water tank since I never used that water for drinking. The water was always fine no matter how long it sat in the tank. Besides, most city water is chlorinated and that should help deter any bugs present, at least for a while.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Turned on the water heater and let it run thru a cycle,,all is fine and MAN that water is HOTTTTTT !!! And stayed hot 5 hrs later

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Yea I know but I meant driving with the tank full as apposed to 1/4 tank then fill when you get ther

I fill at home unless im going far away. Made this decision after i forgot to fill one time pulling into the camp ground. Got everything set up and realized i forgot to fill the tank. Had to break it down and take it to the fill station. if its only a couple hours away its worth the extra -.5 mpg's to not feel like an idiot lol.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Yea I know but I meant driving with the tank full as apposed to 1/4 tank then fill when you get ther

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
Ahh... doesnโ€™t the coach ride weird with all that weight

:h What weight? You put water in RVs if you want to use them for their intended purpose.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ahh... doesnโ€™t the coach ride weird with all that weight

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:
My main concern is do I turn on the WH while the bleach water is in it or itโ€™s not nessasary ?
Again I thought Iโ€™d be able to check the pressure valve to make sure it isnโ€™t leaking

It isn't necessary to turn the WH on, but it will not hurt anything if you do and want to check the pressure relief.

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
I leave the tank full until I winterize. I drain the hot water after each trip. The sulfer smell comes from your water heater, not the fresh tank.
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
My main concern is do I turn on the WH while the bleach water is in it or itโ€™s not nessasary ?
Again I thought Iโ€™d be able to check the pressure valve to make sure it isnโ€™t leaking

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok another question.. got it all empty and filled with clotanited city water... added bleach squirts to waterheater ... all is full
So should I turn the heater on ??
Maybe just to be sure the relief doesnโ€™t leaks ??
I hate to dump all this water and the bleach isnโ€™t that strong so maybe Iโ€™ll just use it.. not drink it

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
luberhill wrote:
I notice a smell from the hot ware side faucet

That's probably crud collecting in the bottom of the hot water heater. Next time you get home, drain and flush it with a wand like this.

While you're at it check the anode if you have one and replace it if the the internal metal rod shows.

I couldnt believe how much crud came out the water heater when I flushed that device
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:

And that's 1 oz of bleach per 60 gallons of water.

I generally drain and sanitize the tank once a year. 1/4 cup beach to 15 gallons of water is the generally accepted dose.

You are correct, but that concentration if for Sanitizing a troubled tank. The formula is 0.13 oz * size of the tank for that. Using that formula works out to be 7.8 oz of bleach for a 60 gallon tank.

However, for preventative maintenance at the start of the season, the recommended dose is 1 oz/60 gallons as I mentioned. Does the job of sanitizing a typical tank that doesn't have problems. Leaves no taste, doesn't affect the plumbing, valve seals, or drain rubbers.

I did screw up an earlier comment...the plastic used in the tanks is food grade, not hospital grade as I said. I knew that, just screwed up and typed without thinking. Thanks for the correction.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Yea when I get home the Pao said he left me the he entire manual for everything.. Iโ€™m toning to drain the wh today, what size socket do I need ?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Go to this site; https://winnebagoind.com/resources/manuals/pdfs/Operator2013/13Vista26HE.pdf, Chapter 7.

All of your questions regarding the water system are answered here, other peoples opinions are just their two cents worth and remember you get what you pay for.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II