cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Rivet/Nutsert Gun?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, arthritis took it's toll on my fingers but I want to keep inserting Riv Nuts. The giant manual models do not get along with small work.

If I am forced to spring for a pneumatic riv nut gun is the small Harbor Freight pancake compressor too small air delivery to set say, 10 rivets in a minute?
17 REPLIES 17

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
SMALL NEEDLE BEARING THRUST WASHERS?

They are flat like flat washers, except they have tiny roller bearings radial around the ring.

They don't have to fit the work perfectly

They would keep the metal between the flat washer and the nutsert from galling when using stainless steel nutserts.

I've decided to go (as usual ๐Ÿ™‚ ) with Mr. Wizard's advice. That way I can use all SAE fine-thread nutserts that perhaps (?) are best purchased at McMaster Carr? Or is there an even better source for specialty nutserts for odd applications?

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
another way - using your cordless driver

Great find, Mr. Wizard. Now I have them both bookmarked. One for big rivnuts, the other for small ones. Thanks.

That setup might even work for Wanderer.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

MrWizard
another way - using your cordless driver
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Home Made Rivnut Tool

Watched the video. The guy knows his business. The fasteners he used a six mark grade eight. I just went through a dry run on the bench and it seems my useless hand thwarts ideas of adopting this my use with 10x32 screws.

Because I am planning on using wide flange nutserts in polystyrene plastic. I am going to need backing washers on the inside of the work where the rivet is drawn and bulges. That's going to take some fancy footwork to find the exact size US or metric flat washers that allows the rivet to bulge without interference and resists pull-out. As a thought I might try GOOP to help resist the nutsert from spinning. I am going to use Torx screws with large heads.

Why plastic?
Weight
Ease of drilling and use of rotary tools
A 12" x 14" box is insanely expensive even in plain steel and it is heavy. This is for use as a cover for battery chargers. Handles, feet, panel meters, switches, cords.

But the video has taken a solid hook in my mind. If I could find a 3/8" double box six-point wrench that has deep offsets at both ends, I can use a long long allen head socket head bolt (The screws are even stronger than grade eight). Maybe tack weld a six inch cheater onto both the wrench and the allen. This means two wrenches. Hmmmm...

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
To fit a riv nut hand tool? You are referring to an individual riv nut / nut sert size installation tool?

Sorry, got interrupted while posting and then forgot about this thread for a while.

What I wanted to show, is this video of a $2 hand made tool that uses an impact driver to cinch up the rivnut.

Home made Rivnut tool...
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It would be if I didn't have a near-useless left hand. I have an 8-volt Ryobi variable speed drill that should have enough oomph to set nutserts. Time to get busy and see if I can source good nutserts.

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like this would be an option? Wish I had something like this when I bought my Marson. Darn near need to put cheater bar on the handle to operate it.
https://smile.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1442-Setter/dp/B003TODXQW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=15377...

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Be thorough selecting nutserts. Good USA nutserts are splined for thick walls and checkerboard (knurled) for thin stuff. Absolutely use Never-Seize on aluminum nutserts and stainless needs it as well.

After error-and-trial 40 years ago I came to the conclusion for all thicknesses and all materials I had much better luck with SAE fine thread nutserts. Probably because the bolt head has to rotate additional circumference before lock washer loses tension.

Chrome Moly Vanadium heat treated steel is never cheap (Nitrited in some instances)

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I too like the looks of the Astro Tools, not as expensive as one I own. I have a manual setting tool Hudson Rivet that is for setting 5/16" steel nutserts.

It did not come with the 10" Crescent wrench and it was >or< $80.00. Thought at the time, wow that's expensive. It has paid for itself just in work on pickup beds and my Kwikee step mounting. I too will save my pennies and buy the ADN14 for sure.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those Astro tools look good...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1

Not cheap but for arthritic hands, fingers and wrists it looks to be priceless. Even aluminum nutserts can hold a lot of pressure, stainless steel even more. I have used nutserts in protected wood, trailer skin to mount lights, on and on.

The secret is to get the nutsert holes, dead-on accurate. Thicker material needs a few thousandths larger hole. They also have special grip nutserts especially for thin aluminum skin like on trailers and motorhomes.

Quicksilver lights are all 10x32 stainless ateel nusterts with stainless camlock lock washers. The ramp-type lockwashers are breathtakingly expensive today.

Anyway as soon as I can afford the drill nutsert tool I am getting one.

Thank you sir.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The makers of the less expensive riv nut guns seem to have a short memory in providing air feed specs. With .040" plastic I suspect I am going to need backing washers. Very thin and larger OD. Thanks for the tip fj12ryder.