Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Residential fridge and dry camping
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Residential fridge and dry camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
gemsworld

Arizona West Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/18 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think twice before getting an electric fridge if dry camping more than just occasionally. Speaking from personal experience, generator use is restricted in many campgrounds to only a few hours a day (some only allow 2 hour periods at a time). And in some places they are not allowed at all. And let's face it, even the most quiet built-in generator can be annoying.

Tntman

Livingston, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiffen says "a residential frig will need the Jenny run once a day with six six volt batteries". I personally don't want a residential frig, more batteries to replace and wear and tear on the Jenny.
Tiffin offers the option of an RV refrig, adding the propane at build time.
People seem to exaggerate the time they run without recharging the batteries to justify their purchase of the residential frig. I will take the manufacturers word before anyone on this forum.

ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/18 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Some of you have way too much time on your hands. I'm beginning to remember why I took the 10 year break from this site.” Welcome back. Sorry that it bothers you that I usually look at previous posts before trying to answer someone’s question.

I put off going residential because of posts like this “We could never have a residential refrigerator because 50% of our trips is dry camping“. We usually dry camp 5 out of 7 days in the summer....71% of the time. As I posted above,36+ hours on two batteries which is longer than the house batteries will last.

My generator time has actually decreased after going residential BUT I added another 100A charger. 1.5 hours generator in the evening and 1/2 hour in the morning is all I need. Without a doubt, going residential is my best DIY project...helps that the NiCold was that bad.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
How I spend the winter.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/18 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

“Some of you have way too much time on your hands. I'm beginning to remember why I took the 10 year break from this site.” Welcome back. Sorry that it bothers you... ..
When you don't use the quote feature we have to go looking for this person.

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/18 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is good discussion on the subject. There are many, many dry camping folks and with the new addition of a residential refrigerator the problems have been solved.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/121644-bo........docking-with-a-residential-refrigerator/

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/18 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that imply we exaggerate our battery life with a residential fridge, it's easy enough to look up the power consumption of the commonly used models and do your own calculations. I expect the larger double door fridges use a bit more power than my smaller 10.1 cu ft, but modern fridges are actually quite cost efficient. Keep in mind that residential fridges typically cycle significantly less than RV absorption fridges, and I'm reasonably sure most boondockers typically conserve power overall, using less per day than they would on shorepower. Three 12-volt or six 6-volt batteries are not uncommon in larger RV's these days.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

steved28

Bellingham,MA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So for those of yuo who seem perplexed at my question, since I previously posted about delivery times etc. If you must know, we ordered the RV back in July. But at some point we were notified that the "non residential" fridge option that we chose, may effect the delivery time. So we began questioning whether it was all that important. It was a $2600 option, but we saved that much when we decided to forego the forward bunk.
Our current RV, due for trade, is a 32' class C. I have 400W of solar on the roof feeding a Blue Sky charger and about 250Ah of AGM batteries. It feeds a 1500W pure sine wave inverter which ties into one of the two 15A circuits in the RV. I do have a 4Kw genny on board but rarely use it. Truth is, I sort of despise generator use. With my current setup I can run everything, including the coffee maker, but obviously not the A/C.
Therefore, I wanted to ask those who do some dry camping/boon docking with a residential fridge, what their experiences were.
We glamp in state and federal campgrounds about 70% of the time. So this was not just a passing issue for me. Winnebago adds an additional 2 (for a total of 4) group 31 Napa commercial grade batteries when you opt for the residential fridge. These batteries however are not true deep cycle in my book, they still have a CCA rating. So I would not be comfortable draining them past 50%.
In the end, we decided the wait and expense was worth it, and did not want to regret a decision down the line. Especially since we were ordering new. I don't think there is a right or wrong decision and do not mean to diminish the reasons some folks opt for the residential. But I did want to hear your experiences. That's all, no hidden agenda. Thanks for your responses!

* This post was edited 09/24/18 08:20am by steved28 *

2019 Winnebago Sunstar LX 35F
2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sahara

neilnbe

Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/18 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you already made your decision to go with the dual unit and that's fine they work ok. Personally I'll never go back to the RV refers. Had them in past campers and I had one in the present unit. I swapped it out for a residential unit and after using it for a few years now will never go back to the RV style. We dry camp, take trips on the road for a few days at a time, and have never had an issue. I actually think the RV unit drew down the batteries more. I have 4 batteries for the coach and a decent inverter, they all came with the coach so a swap didn't take more than pulling out the old and installing the residential unit and plugging it in. I've left it sit for 3 to 4 days with no hook-up and it barely phased the batts (I had moved it so friends could use our parking spot and forgot to plug it in). I'm done dealing with the dual RV units, I always had to plan and worry about the RV unit. The residential unit we start in April when I unwinterize it and don't shut it off until I close it up in Nov and never had any issues. Best mod I ever did. Residential all them way for us,but everyone has different opinions and circumstances.

Neil, Deb
2 Kids 1 Dog
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire
'11 Ford Edge
Mountain Master Towbrake
Blue Ox Adventa II

steved28

Bellingham,MA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

Here is good discussion on the subject. There are many, many dry camping folks and with the new addition of a residential refrigerator the problems have been solved.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/121644-bo........docking-with-a-residential-refrigerator/

I didn't really read were they solved the issue, apart from shutting down the fridge at night or running the genny a few hours during the day. These are both scenarios I would like to avoid.

steved28

Bellingham,MA,USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/18 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neilnbe wrote:

Sounds like you already made your decision to go with the dual unit and that's fine they work ok. Personally I'll never go back to the RV refers. Had them in past campers and I had one in the present unit...

Can I ask what the issue was you had with them? I have only owned 2 in the past 15 years. Never had a single issue with them. But I do clean them out every Spring.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Residential fridge and dry camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS