cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane High Pressure Regulator Leak.

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
On my Jayco 5th wheel with an auto change regulator and both tanks open, what is there to prevent the full tank filling the less than full tank. I just changed my auto regulator since the old one was not drawing gas from the driver side tank when the passenger side tank ran dry. The new regulator, even though set to the passenger side tank, is sending gas to the empty driver side and leaking thru the vent hole in the red pressure regulator on that side. Camping world sold me a regulator that they said would replace the red leaking one. When put back together the new camping world regulator also leaked thru it's vent hole. My original question is why does gas flow in that direction.
2007 Jayco Jayflight 28.5 RLS 5th Wheel
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
10 REPLIES 10

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Picinisco wrote:
Learjet wrote:
I had a problem once and found out there is a check valve where the hose goes into the change over regulator. There is a brass fitting that is between the hose and the change over regulator on my unit.

Thank you for your answer. I had spoken to two rv service techs and neither of them told me about the check valve or backflow preventer in the system. One even told me that the backflow from bottle to bottle is normal.

I went through the set up again and found that there were indeed two backflow preventers it was just that they were in the wrong position.

Everything has been put back together correctly and gas is flowing as it should with no leaks from weepholes.

What about the propane that was leaking from vent hole on that RED regulator at roadside cylinder????
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
I had a problem once and found out there is a check valve where the hose goes into the change over regulator. There is a brass fitting that is between the hose and the change over regulator on my unit.

Thank you for your answer. I had spoken to two rv service techs and neither of them told me about the check valve or backflow preventer in the system. One even told me that the backflow from bottle to bottle is normal.

I went through the set up again and found that there were indeed two backflow preventers it was just that they were in the wrong position.

Everything has been put back together correctly and gas is flowing as it should with no leaks from weepholes.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I recommend you replace the pigtails or hoses. I prefer Cavagna brand.
At this point I would get two new regulators also.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0FSyrpG2OA

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any LP Reg that leaks from vent hole has failed......diaphragm is cracked/torn etc
Vents are on the 'atmosphere side of regulator diaphragms

Roadside regulator (30#) is used to lower pressure from roadside cylinder prior to going across front cap of 5th wheel and to prevent the propane vapor from condensing into liquid propane which will destroy the auto changeover reg on curbside

Curbside cylinder pressure can be 250#.....auto changeover regulator is designed to handle high pressure in 1st stage reducing it to 15# which 2nd stage then reduces to system pressure of 11" WC (0.4 psi)

Indicator knob/lever -----point it to cylinder you want as 'primary' then other cylinder is 'reserve'--Valve in both cylinders.
When primary pressure drops to 10# the regulator will swap to reserve. Red/Green Indicator will turn RED....move indicator knob/lever so it points to 'reserve' cylinder. Indicator turns Green
Do NOT point knob/lever between--pointed down -----should point to one or other cylinder

Built in check valves SHOULD prevent any backflow from one cylinder to other
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
The position of the valve between the two tanks should stop the flow between them. If the pointer is towards the left tank, that tank should flow and the other not.

It's not that gas is flowing from both tanks at the same time. It's the fact that the tank that the pointer is towards is sending gas along the hoses to the other tank. I feel that there should be no backflow.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
The position of the valve between the two tanks should stop the flow between them. If the pointer is towards the left tank, that tank should flow and the other not. I would return that faulty valve for exchange. Sounds like they gave you a bad one.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Picinisco
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
Nothing should leak no matter what setting its on

Thanks for the reply, however the question was what stops the flow of gas from one bottle to the other.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nothing should leak no matter what setting its on, and I never leave both tanks open so I'll know when one's empty, and get it filled while on the new tank.