cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finding a Water Leak

straydog350
Explorer
Explorer
We've just recently noticed the the floor inside the two front storage compartment doors is soft. I've checked the walls and floor around the doors immediately after downpours and have found no water anywhere. Does anyone know how to determine where the water is coming from?
13 REPLIES 13

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
Does your water pump cycle by itself sometimes?
If it does check that the water supply to the back of the toilet isnโ€™t leaking !
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Take it to a Sealtech shop and have it pressure tested.
https://rvleaks.com/testing-locations/
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
After you get through checking the obvious I suggest you spend a $100 and have the rig pressure tested. Finding leaks is a PIA and often the source of the leak is far from where the water settles.
Kevin

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Also if there are any windows above the area check the seal around the windows. Mine had cracks in the sealant at the top of the window frame, the rain water was running down the window frame inside the wall, down the wall and exiting at the floor.

straydog350
Explorer
Explorer
I find it very strange that we've had this camper for 7 years and haven't had any problems of this sort, but now we have the issue on both sides at the same time.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take a close look at two places. The first one being where the flange for the door mounts to the side of the trailer. if it wasn't properly sealed when the trailer was built water could be leaking under the flange, running down the flange and soaking into the floor structure. The second place I'd look is under the trailer where the floor is getting soft and looking for any signs of where water could be soaking up through the underside of the floor.

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Go up on the roof and closely look at anywhere you have sealant or a seam. Check for holes or punctures in the roof membrane. I suspect you have a roof leak and the water is running down the inside of the wall and saturating the floor.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

straydog350
Explorer
Explorer
This is for a travel trailer. 2010 Four Winds Lite model 252RBGS. The storage compartment is at the front of the trailer and extends from side to side with access doors on each side. As I mentioned in the original post, there is no evidence of any water either on the floor of the compartment or the walls, even after a very heavy downpour.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
For storage compartments especially, water may be splashing up and in if you drive in rainy/wet conditions when it would not be able to get it while parked during a rainstorm. Check the sealing of the compartment boxes underneath (particularly if exposed) and the joint between them and the skirting and that sort of thing.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
I would look first at the rubber seals around the doors. The only true way to find water leaks is with a SealTest. Professionally done will identify every place where you have a leak. Then you have a choice. Mark them all or fix them all.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Impossible to help really. No mention of the type of RV. Is this a motorhome? 5th Wheel? Trailer?

First it sounds like you're talking about basement compartments, then sounds like something in the bedroom.

Please put your RV info in your signature to help us help you.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

straydog350
Explorer
Explorer
No plumbing in this area. The storage area is below the bed and actually 'creates' the two night stands on each side of the bed.

Bob_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Is your convenience center in the same area? Check behind this area where all the water lines are, you may have a loose fitting or two. Ask me how I know.
Bob&Sue
2021 Cedar Creek 34IK
2011 Ford F-250
6.7 litre PSD
Pullrite Superglide