cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Wifi

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
We are getting increasingly frustrated with rv parks that promise Wifi and have only a weak signal that is barely accessible. Are there any recommendations for a portable wifi system? I know nothing about it, so please explain the mechanics and give suggestions as to brand names. We travel both in the US and Canada. Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
To boil the above comments into one dish, there are two parts to reliable and decently fast internet service:

1) The ISP (internet service provider) and your gateway or connection to the provider, and

2) How the signal from that connection is transmitted and received to/from your device - what you think of as "Wi-Fi" when it's wireless (Ethernet is most common when hard-wired).

A so-called wi-fi booster will only amplify the signal to/from the wi-fi router in use at the park. IT WILL NOT improve the park's internet connection in terms of speed or what others have referred to as bandwidth (think of it as how many lanes a highway has to carry traffic). If you spend hundreds on a device to improve the wi-fi connection with a crappy park internet service, you still have crappy park internet service.

The alternative is a 4G hot spot (as mentioned, some folks use their smartphones for this) that will provide internet service via your phone plan's 4G data service. There are also dedicated 4G hot-spots like the Verizon MiFi that we use. If you go this route, you will have to pay more for data, but you'll have much more reliable service and will be able to do anything except stream full-length HD movies (due to your data limitations and cost - not the technology).

I hope this helps.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

eubank
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that merely making a signal stronger does not necessarily make that connection any faster. A weak signal with limited bandwidth spread over an even greater number of people is just a signal with even more limitation.

๐Ÿ˜ž

Lynn

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well if you want to toss a kilobuck or so at it Wineguard now makes a WI-Fi "extender" with built in 4G capability. It mounts on the roof for a better "View" of the Park router(s) and if has high gain technology to better suck it in. if it can not see the park you have the Cellular option.. But I think the price is well... Pricey.

What am I using? Umbiquiti Nano Satation Loco M2 (Recommend the M over the M2)

This is a decent long range Wi-Fi Client. with a LAN type port instead of a USB it feeds the "Modem" or WAN port on a common router. any common router. I do not recommend Belkin but that's what I'm using. (Have a linksys in storage and there goes the @!#$!@# Breaker again.. OH well back to finish shortly. There All Reset.

Now I have a couple places the M2 won't work.. and in this park they have a Nanny Gate that is a pain in the operating system So I use the Hot Spot on my T-mobile cell phone.

NOTE in the parks where the M2 won't connect.. IF the S-8 (Cell phone) connects. then the M2 will connect to the S-8 so its even better.

But setting it up. till you get used to it. A but of a hassle.

NOTE there is one called "Wi-Fi Ranger" which is basically the same as the setup I use. Not sure which model WI-Fi client they use. but it is more or less the same hardware I use. Just different router and possibly a different external module.. Oh it mounts on my flagpole. It is also you you are seeing this.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

SmokinJoe73
Explorer
Explorer
My carrier allows me to change my phone to a mobile wifi hotspot just when I need it and pay only for those times. Is a really cheap basic plan ($30/mo) normally and I add wifi when we camp then cancel it when we come home.

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ipeltier wrote:
Just to clarify--what I meant by portable wifi is some electronic device that either magnifies the wifi signal presently at the rv park, or an entirely self-contained system that picks up a wifi signal.

2oldman--I just read through your link and will try to research the topic there. Thanks!

I have a device that magnifies the signal but it has been a waste of money and the install on roof that some day I will remove, the strength/speed of internet at the RV parks are still worthless even after my device magnifies the signal.

Find the cheapest MiFi plan and box is about the best bet..

fly-swatter
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Telus Smart Hub at home and take it with us when camping. As long as we have cell service it works. However the data charges would be excessive if I left it on while travelling in the US.
2012 Ram 2500 Hemi
2012 Flagstaff 8524RLS

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
I use something similar to this search for wifi antenna booster
Bill and Joey the dog

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Good in Canada only...

This is what we use at the cottage, pay as you go.

Telus.
https://www.telus.com/en/on/mobility/mobile-internet/

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing you can buy that will increase band width. Signal strength is important, but regardless of signal strength you have if the parks band width is all taken up your still SOL.
Add the fact those park wifis are totally unsecure you would be far better off going with a cell phone carrier and a mifi card. Both ATT and Verizon offer them for cheap. Since your in Canada I guess you need to clarify where you want/need this wifi.

ipeltier
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify--what I meant by portable wifi is some electronic device that either magnifies the wifi signal presently at the rv park, or an entirely self-contained system that picks up a wifi signal.

2oldman--I just read through your link and will try to research the topic there. Thanks!

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what you mean by 'portable wifi.' My phone is portable, and I use that rather than crappy CG wifi.

wifi posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman