cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Microwave ovens in class c

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are there special wattages or mw ovens used in class Cs or can any mw be used to replace the oven?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
18 REPLIES 18

Chris_B_in_MD
Explorer
Explorer
We use "pool noodles" cut to size in the MW & the toaster oven to keep thing quiet. Works great & they're CHEAP!
We also use them on the awning arms as head buffers & on the slide out edges when we have the G-kids with us.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
ol' yeller wrote:
jcsb wrote:
We just put a large pillow in the microwave.

How long are you cooking it and was it delicious?

That's funny.

My microwave won't do popcorn. I store extra kitchen and utility towels in mine.It says it can be used as an oven, haven't tried that yet.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ron.dittmer wrote:
I had temporarily removed our microwave to address it's chronic loosening from the cabinet, details HERE.

Though my wife and I would never do without our microwave, your point about converting the space for extra cabinet storage is well noted.

Great job, Ron.

I found a 7.5 amps 900w mw at Walmart for $50. I wanted a smaller amp mw so I could run the electric hot water kettle at the same time. I rigged a platform to tighten it down so it wouldn't budge. I never had a rattling problem with the old one and shouldn't have one with the new one.

You're right it is a lot of space but we use the mw enough to justify its return to the spacious cave.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
Campingliz99 wrote:
We just removed the woefully underpowered microwave that only used once. In place of that fancy, tiny breadbox we now have a large cabinet. In our little 24 footer more kitchen storage is a boon!
I had temporarily removed our microwave to address it's chronic loosening from the cabinet, details HERE.

Though my wife and I would never do without our microwave, your point about converting the space for extra cabinet storage is well noted.

Campingliz99
Explorer
Explorer
We just removed the woefully underpowered microwave that only used once. In place of that fancy, tiny breadbox we now have a large cabinet. In our little 24 footer more kitchen storage is a boon!

Also, beware combination convection/microwaves. Many are not safe to build in, and are meant just for countertop use.

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
jcsb wrote:

How long are you cooking it and was it delicious?
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Sam Spade wrote:

When I had my C, the generator would change it's sound a lot when the microwave was run while the A/C was on. Even more if the batteries were low and the converter was going full blast.

Of course it did, the higher the electric load, the harder the generator has to work. Perfectly normal and totally expected.

OK, let me re-phrase:
A microwave is a significant load. With the A/C and converter/charger running full blast AND the microwave, you might be very close to the design limits of the electrical wiring.......and you should not blindly ASSume that you can put in a bigger one without causing a problem.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

ron_dittmer
Explorer
Explorer
If your rig does not have a convection oven/stove combination, then you might want to consider purchasing a microwave/convection oven combo. Our rig has such an oven. Admittedly we rarely use the convection feature, but we have used it and it works well....well enough.

Our Sharp brand convection/microwave oven comes with a coated steel carousel for use with either convection baking or microwaving. It won't break.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We stored a loaf of bread and several other light weight items on the glass carousel to keep it anchored and had no noise or breakage problems.

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Hunter

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone.

Magnus

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Take the glass carousel thing out of the MW when on the road, a sudden lurch can launch the thing through the MW's door, it happened to us and broke. Nowadays, we sandwich the glass carousel between the overhead bed cushions while underway.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

When I had my C, the generator would change it's sound a lot when the microwave was run while the A/C was on. Even more if the batteries were low and the converter was going full blast.

Of course it did, the higher the electric load, the harder the generator has to work. Perfectly normal and totally expected.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No, yes.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman