cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frozen Oven Control Knob on Atwood Wedgewood Oven

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
We went to light the pilot light today on a standard Atwood Wedgewood RV oven and had a strange thing happen. As you may know, you turn the oven knob to "light pilot light" and depress it while you light the pilot, then after holding it for a short period, turn counterclockwise to the temperature and the oven lights. This time, the pilot light lit, and the knob was frozen. We couldn't turn the oven on, we couldn't turn it off, the pilot light was burning and we couldn't get it off. We finally shut off all propane at the tank and it went out. Its still frozen in the "light pilot light" position. I sprayed a little silicon on the knob when it had cooled (don't know whether I should have done that, but it made no difference)
One thing that could be a factor. My wife was baking something and the oven was very hot. She turned the oven off, and then decided to relight the oven to further cook the item. That's when we attempted to light the pilot light again and the switch jammed. We think that may have had something to do with the malfunction. All the burners on top work and the pilot lit normally so I think the thermostat and regulators are ok. Seems the switch is shot now. Any thoughts? (other than use the microwave?) I remember years ago, our door lock on an RV wouldn't work when it got hot as the tumblers expanded, and later it the day, the key would work.
8 REPLIES 8

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Merriam-Webster's second definition of "frozen":

"2a : incapable of being changed, moved, or undone : FIXED"
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for all the expert help, as usual. We are not going to mess with this jammed oven thermostat control knob and will order a replacement and have it professionally installed. I appreciate all the advice. The part is still available from ebay for about $48. One poster had asked me to explain what I meant by "frozen" Clearly, our rig is not below 32 degrees and its actually not frozen. I would say its jammed, stuck, unworkable, unmoveable, kaput, and malfunctioning. Our appreciation again.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
wallynm wrote:
Read this thread to understand correct description to use. it ain't frozen as it is not below 32

My RV oven control, at least, is not in the liquid state and so is very much frozen. Oven knobs melt and freeze at a different temperature than water.

Frozen does have other definitions, as well. My dictionary lists among the definitions for frozen "affected as if turned into ice; made motionless (frozen with terror)" and "arbitrarily kept at a fixed level or in a fixed position". For freeze, the root word, it specifically lists this: "Mechanics: to stick or become tight as a result of expansion of parts caused by overheating, increased friction due to inadequate lubrication or corrosion, etc." The usage is well-established even if you don't approve of it.

Would you also complain that a seized engine which won't turn over isn't really seized unless it had been confiscated by law enforcement officials? Or that a gas station generally sells liquids rather than gasses?

wallynm
Explorer
Explorer
Read this thread to understand correct description to use. it ain't frozen as it is not below 32

mexicanpiloto13 wrote:
We went to light the pilot light today on a standard Atwood Wedgewood RV oven and had a strange thing happen. As you may know, you turn the oven knob to "light pilot light" and depress it while you light the pilot, then after holding it for a short period, turn counterclockwise to the temperature and the oven lights. This time, the pilot light lit, and the knob was frozen. We couldn't turn the oven on, we couldn't turn it off, the pilot light was burning and we couldn't get it off. We finally shut off all propane at the tank and it went out. Its still frozen in the "light pilot light" position. I sprayed a little silicon on the knob when it had cooled (don't know whether I should have done that, but it made no difference)
One thing that could be a factor. My wife was baking something and the oven was very hot. She turned the oven off, and then decided to relight the oven to further cook the item. That's when we attempted to light the pilot light again and the switch jammed. We think that may have had something to do with the malfunction. All the burners on top work and the pilot lit normally so I think the thermostat and regulators are ok. Seems the switch is shot now. Any thoughts? (other than use the microwave?) I remember years ago, our door lock on an RV wouldn't work when it got hot as the tumblers expanded, and later it the day, the key would work.
Have a Diesel Engine Diesel RV Club

Have a Freightliner FCOC Web Page

Living on the memories now
EX 02 DSDP 3567
EX 99 Coachmen
EX 86 Georgie Boy
EX 75 Winnie
EX 72 Sightseer
EX 68 Brave

THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW HISTORY ARE DOOMED TO REPEAT IT

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
In the old days we just turned the knob and used an extended lighter to light up pilot/flame. Not familiar with your rig but that's what I would do/try unless the fix was cheap.
Kevin

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
When the oven control on our Wedgewood stove failed (erratic temperatures) and there was no direct replacement available, I found a complete manifold and control set on eBay that had been removed from a newer model damaged new stove by an RV dealer. It also included the complete oven burner/pilot assembly. Installation was mostly a direct bolt in with the only mods required a small notch in the control panel and an added support screw. I also had to replace the oven control knob, also found on eBay, to get the correct temperature scale. The total cost including the knob came to about $60. A major benefit of the swap, beside having reliable temperatures, was that the new oven assembly doesn't turn the main burner completely off between heating cycles, but instead modulates it down to a low flame. We've found that keeps the temperature much more uniform throughout the oven.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Regardless of what you do on the existing tstat---REPLACE IT! It is a safety hazard now. There are no legal serviceable parts on this type LP system control. When it malfunctions, you replace it. Doug

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried pulling the knob outwards? Maybe it's sticking in the "push on to light the pilot" position because of a bit of crud on the shaft or something.

That control knob is the thermostatic valve for the oven, by the way. If you can't get it to work it should be fairly straightforward and not overly expensive to replace it (or have it replaced), assuming parts are available. Some older thermostatic oven controls do not have replacements available anymore because they used mercury in the thermostat sensor.