cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

when to dump

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Ok black and gray are empty but if we take a few weekend trips and use the toile and shower etc...how full should we have the tanks before dumping ?
I know you do black first then gray,,,but do you run water in either tank to clean ?? If so how do you do that?
Thanks for helping a rookie
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
19 REPLIES 19

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
NMDriver2 wrote:
Flush when you have enough water to carry the slurry out of the tank.

If it has only been used a time or two on a weekend trip I will add about 5 gallons of water before I flush the tank.

I always start with 3 or so gallons of water in the tank or at least enough to have a couple of inches of water on the bottom before adding solids.

You want a slurry to flush out not chunks and wads. ๐Ÿ˜‰

This is a good answer.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
luberhill wrote:
is there places to dump for free ? My neighbor dumps right down the soil pipe in his front yard...but while on the road and dry camping how do you locate a dump site

Clicky

Clicky
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
is there places to dump for free ? My neighbor dumps right down the soil pipe in his front yard...but while on the road and dry camping how do you locate a dump site

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
I always dump before I travel. Even If it has only been one night I fill the black tank so it is about 3/4 full before I dump.

The waste tanks have no support in the middle and if they are partially or even full the bottom of the tank flexes and will cause the tank bottom to crack.

Guy needs a better RV if it can't roll with full tanks...
Some of these rituals are likely due to different types of use. Sure, if you're parked for a long time creating turd mountain, you may need to do a little flushing. If you drive the RV any appreciable distance with a significant amount in the black tank, it has "mixed" sufficiently.

My neighbor had a hitch hiker 5 th wheel and his had cracked. When I saw how thin the tank material was and these tanks are quite shallow and about the size of a dining room table I decided may not be best to travel our very rough Interstates with a full tank.

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
if your feet are wet and smell like ****. dump the black tank
Dennis Hoppert

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RCMAN46 wrote:
I always dump before I travel. Even If it has only been one night I fill the black tank so it is about 3/4 full before I dump.

The waste tanks have no support in the middle and if they are partially or even full the bottom of the tank flexes and will cause the tank bottom to crack.

Guy needs a better RV if it can't roll with full tanks...
Some of these rituals are likely due to different types of use. Sure, if you're parked for a long time creating turd mountain, you may need to do a little flushing. If you drive the RV any appreciable distance with a significant amount in the black tank, it has "mixed" sufficiently.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

Even if the tank would be tough enough, many are mounted with just thin plates using screws into the floor. I dump when I can and take on water as I can, at least the fresh water tank is mounted on cross members with some support across the middle of the tank.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
luberhill wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

Wow really ??? I thought these were tougher than that

Yes, they are tough.
Maybe after 30 years of usage the tank may crack. Until then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I dump at every opportunity since who knows if the USFS has shutdown dump sites up and down US 395 so employees can go into hibernation. BLM is mostly open. Usually can find water to fill the tanks first however. I'm a dish water down the toilet guy too, Jayco.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I think , ideally, I would prefer to have the grey tank full or close so as to flush out the system when dumping. I don't think it matters so much with the black as long as it goes first. Unfortunately, it's seldom a perfect world. Rather than risk filling up part way through the next stay I will often go ahead and dump when I'm leaving a campground if we have 2 or 3 days worth in the tanks. That also saves some weight when on the road. However, we try to avoid solids in the black tank if not too inconvenient and that saves a lot of worry. We also put a lot of dish water down the stool to clean, dilute and create more space.
Jayco-noslide

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a multiple standards for "When to dump"

Now I full time.
Normally I dump every 2 weeks in teh summer every 1-2 in the winter (I use membership campgrounds so when I get to the OTHER one. I hook up and dump. tank up the fresh tank and remain hooked up. 2 weeks later when I have to switch parks I repeat the Dump/Fill and then 2 weeks later when I return.

Winters I split between membership (2weeks) and Government (1 week) and follow the same pattern. (Hook up at membership camp. dump. dump again before I leave)

One difference.. Last year when I got to South Carolina. first tank of water from Pioneer water district.. Well a change of water can,,, shall we say.. have after effects.. I went through 80 gallons in a week (normally lasts 3-4 weeks) so I dumped again.

IF the FULL light comes on DUMP
2/3 is the normal point. but anything over half is ok to dump. IF NOT full enough.. add water.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
RCMAN46 wrote:

Wow really ??? I thought these were tougher than that

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer

troubledwaters
Explorer
Explorer
Dump it anytime you want. Just follow up with a 5 gal bucket of water down the commode as the last step before closing the valve.