cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting stuck in sand

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure where I should put this, but figure folks who boondock would know. Last time we went out, we almost got stuck in the sand. Is there a trick to dig yourself out if your out in the boondocks and away from any help? Thanks
44 REPLIES 44

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
pnichols wrote:
If you don't want to shovel much but still get unstuck out of just about anything, from my research here's the top rated portable solution out there ... made in Austrailia, super tough, and from everything I have read about them - THEY WORK (not cheap though, but neither is each extraction by a Caterpillar): https://www.amazon.com/Maxtrax-MKII-MKIIs/dp/B00HYCVSW6
I bought a set similar to what you posted after getting my tow car stuck in sugar sand, they are about 8 in wide and 2.5 ft long made out of orange thermoplastic material. They were under $20.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't want to shovel much but still get unstuck out of just about anything, from my research here's the top rated portable solution out there ... made in Austrailia, super tough, and from everything I have read about them - THEY WORK (not cheap though, but neither is each extraction by a Caterpillar): https://www.amazon.com/Maxtrax-MKII-MKIIs/dp/B00HYCVSW6
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I witnessed a DP sink in sugar sand in Florida.
Right behind my MH no less! And the local tow trucks would 'not' come out to that area to tow because of the sugar sand. :R

Here is what we all learned NOT to do.

Do NOT Hook up any ratchet straps and or a tow rope to pull it out with someones truck. Both of those broke and sent the hooks flying almost killing one guy.

Do not shove wood under neath the tires, it does absolutely nothing except sending those shooting out like guided missiles also.

After hours of all that NOT working we look up and see a guy in a suit carrying a shovel walking towards us.

He calmly takes off his suit coat and starts to dig around each tire. And I mean 'digs a huge circumference' around each and every tire!

When he was done, told owner of the DP to get in and that heavy bus just drove right out.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
"I just went down this route last week in my 31ft Class C with a motorcycle carrier on the back which increases my length to 34FT. I had the transmission in 2nd gear and didnt go over 3 - 5 mph. It is a beautiful view, but i wouldn't do it again...EVER"

A year from now you'll be looking at your maps thinking...'that wasn't so bad'.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
garyhaupt wrote:
huachuca wrote:

Do not attempt the Moki Dugway on the western end with your camper. It is an awesome drive though with just your vehicle.

Hope you'll forgive me...but the Mokee is one of the best things to do. Low gear and drive with your eyes...cattle and semi's can impede one's travel. I have done it maybe 6? times..all my VW Westy's, and my two C's.

Gary Haupt

Gary,

Would I need low gear in my 24 foot Class C ... or only keep the tranny in Tow/Haul mode and let it do it's own downshifting whenever I tap the break pedal?

(I've really become a fan of using the push button Tow/Haul mode on Ford's 2005-on-up Torqshift transmissions .. the only thing I do with the gearshift lever itself is put it into "P" or "D".)

I just went down this route last week in my 31ft Class C with a motorcycle carrier on the back which increases my length to 34FT. I had the transmission in 2nd gear and didnt go over 3 - 5 mph. It is a beautiful view, but i wouldn't do it again...EVER
Proud father of a US Marine

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I camp on outer beaches of the ocean in sand a lot. Knowing where we have to go to get to our site I air down the truck to 13 pounds in the front 15 pounds in the rear and 20 pounds on the trailer. That way the fronts flatten out the sand more for the next set and the next set. This is ocean sand nice and soft which might be different where your going. If stuck, stop gassing it and digging down as it will always take you longer to get out. The worst that ever happened to me was coming over the dunes and many before me did not air down and rototilled the "ramp". What that does is add lots of air so I drove down the ramp and sunk. Thanks guys! Disconnected, jack up truck fill in hole on all fours. Same on the Trailer. Then create a pathway with a shovel so that the tires would be free from sand mounds for at least a truck length. You need some forward momentum, and made it out. Don't be misled, just because you put big wide tires on, they still need to be aired down.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Taking a truck through sand is hard enough. Pulling a trailer or taking a motorhome through sand is a bad idea unless is packed like the beach at Daytona.

I used to go to Burning Man in the 1990s when it was smaller and I was younger. It was adventures in stuck vehicles. RVs, trailers, motor homes, rental Ryder trucks, you name it.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Oh- I'll add this. Ford 4x4 trucks usually have ability to MANUALLY turn front hubs in, clockwise.

Make sure your 4x4 works BEFORE you need it ๐Ÿ˜‰

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Dessert sand?

Others have mentioned a lot of good advice. I'll add a few things.

1. Safety in (smart) numbers. Qualified and experienced off road drivers

2. Minimum 3 vehicles, each able to pull the other 1 on 1.

3. Each vehicle carries recovery and survival gear.

4. Each vehicle sufficient condition and space to carry ALL PASSENGERS in an emergency. Know what stuff you might need to keep with you in case of injury/danger bugout.

5. Fluids. Water, trans fluid, oil, fuel.

6. Know WHEN to abandon a vehicle. Expensive tows or long recovery hours with help is a whole lot better than life-threatening survival mode ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. When possible, try not to be the smartest, most experienced, or best prepared person on the trip. If you can bring someone who knows MORE, do it ๐Ÿ˜‰

8. Be medically prepared with supplies and gear. I've set joints and done minor surgery (to avoid potentially life threatening or permanent damage) on survival style trips, recently in fact ๐Ÿ˜‰

9. Bring your Can-Do, Let's-have-fun attitude and leave anyone without it at home ๐Ÿ˜‰

Have fun!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Phil...I go down in low. Because it is gravel, if the speed got built up and you had to slow or stop in a hurry...you stand the chance of sliding. There are some hard corners, so slow is safe. It's always easy to go up a gear if you are going too slow...it can be a son-of-a-gun to get it down

If you go...about 1/4 way down, you'll have a pull off to your left? Same place the pic was taken. You want to get in there and follow the path. Incredible view.

Gary

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
garyhaupt wrote:
huachuca wrote:

Do not attempt the Moki Dugway on the western end with your camper. It is an awesome drive though with just your vehicle.

Hope you'll forgive me...but the Mokee is one of the best things to do. Low gear and drive with your eyes...cattle and semi's can impede one's travel. I have done it maybe 6? times..all my VW Westy's, and my two C's.

Gary Haupt

Gary,

Would I need low gear in my 24 foot Class C ... or only keep the tranny in Tow/Haul mode and let it do it's own downshifting whenever I tap the break pedal?

(I've really become a fan of using the push button Tow/Haul mode on Ford's 2005-on-up Torqshift transmissions .. the only thing I do with the gearshift lever itself is put it into "P" or "D".)
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

huachuca
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
huachuca wrote:

Gary Haupt

No offense taken. I highly recommend driving the Moki as well and have made several trips in both directions in my Tacoma. But I wouldnโ€™t want to so so while pulling our camper, especially if descending. Could be Iโ€™m just getting cautious in my old age.

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
If you watch this vid...there are several references to the trouble one can find with the washes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SAKWDVIaX8

Gary Haupt

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
huachuca wrote:

Gary Haupt