Explorer
Explorer
And does it stick to itself so you can add more
2013 Winnebago Sunstar 26HE
8 REPLIES 8

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor makes two types of caulk: self leveling lap sealant for horizontal surfaces like your roof, and non-sag sealant for vertical areas. And yes, the stuff on your roof did come out of a caulk gun. It spreads, which is what they mean by self leveling.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
If the sealant is tight don't try and remove it. If there is a hairline crack in the sealant simply I add maybe 1/16" thick over the crack area.

Sidewall edges.... as in roof edges ??
I've never had to add sealant on my 21 year old/32' roof edges on this camper however this unit has no exposed roof edges or scr heads to worry about it leaking. I did recaulk the rear cap to roof edge on one end.

Whatever brand of sealant you use be sure and follow its instructions to the T and watch their youtubes.. Also lots of youtubes available on the this subject....some from experts and some from not so expert.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
Also what do you use to caulk the side wall edges ? I assume that's done with a caulking gun but what caulk ?
Thx

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
Just because its a sealant on the roof does not mean its Dicor.
Both large rv dealers near me say their trailer brands mfg uses several different brands of sealants that may or may not be a brand we buy in a caulking tube.
Only your trailer or possibly the dealer may know what type/brand of sealant is on the roof.
What you don't want to do is keep piling it on and make a dam for water to sit.

When resealing spots every 8-10 years I use Dicor

So do you cut all the old stuff off ?? This was factory done im sure, no way this came out of a caulk gun more like poured on

luberhill
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
White?
Dicor Self leveling lap seal.
Yes! After cleaning and removing any loose caulk

Well I ASSume it WAS whit but its black now, mildew ? none loose it looks tight, but thick and wide

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Just because its a sealant on the roof does not mean its Dicor.
Both large rv dealers near me say their trailer brands mfg uses several different brands of sealants that may or may not be a brand we buy in a caulking tube.
Only your trailer or possibly the dealer may know what type/brand of sealant is on the roof.
What you don't want to do is keep piling it on and make a dam for water to sit.

When resealing spots every 8-10 years I use Dicor
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mickeyfan0805
Explorer
Explorer
Are you talking about the lap sealant? If so, the answer is yes. Clean excessive grease or dirt off the area (if needed) and then apply it to a dry surface. Just make sure you use the self leveling sealant if it is on the roof - there is a different form that doesn't level that you use for vertical surfaces. Many of us place lap sealant on top of itself year after year to cover cracks that are appearing.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
White?
Dicor Self leveling lap seal.
Yes! After cleaning and removing any loose caulk