cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Simple Guy Looking for Simple Truck Camper (Short bed)

RVDisney
Explorer
Explorer
I drag race and tow a 20 foot enclosed trailer. Looking to get a truck camper for my 2004 dodge ram 2500 quad cab short bed with the 5.7 hemito take to race track instead of hotels

So its just me staying the in the camper. I am having a hard time finding the exact camper to fit my needs and was hoping someone on her can help me. My bed measures 6'5". I would like a camper with a shower, fridge, and ac unit that will allow me to close the tailgate.

Basically all that i want is the shower and to close tailgate!! I can live without the fridge if need to.

Any models out there??

Thanks!
28 REPLIES 28

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
RVDisney wrote:
Hoping to leave tailgate on at this point.

Why?

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
Northstar also makes a pop-up camper(TC650SC) for S/B trucks that is self contained.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
My TC is 96" wide, it looks like you will be ok, depends on if the camper has a bumper or not.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

RVDisney
Explorer
Explorer
I dont have a camper yet. trying to figure out how big I can go without getting too close to the trailer. Also with my car generator and tools I weigh in at 6500lbs. Although I might be okay without weight distribution I prefer to use it to transfer trailer weight to the front axle and keep the ride smooth and straight as I head down the road. My trailer is 20 foot long with full 3 foot v nose.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
btw I have similar 16' V-nose trailer with 7k GVW.
Never needed WD bars for towing it behind my dually.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like your receiver/tongue will collide at about 75 degree between them.
Will the camper collide with the trailer at this angle? We don't see the camper.
Sure camper who is having footprint not wider/longer than your tailgate will have no problems, but most of the campers are much wider in upper part.
Before loading the camper, I would still make 1 more test with the hitch.
Make 360 degree max turn with your truck, stop and see what angle the trailer come to.

RVDisney
Explorer
Explorer
So I bought the longest receiver that i could from etrailer for my weight distibution setup. I found one that is 14 inches long. With my tailgate down the truck wont hit the trailer and i turned it all the way to where trailer tongue hit the receiver. Does this mean I can get an 8 foot long camper and be okay of clearance with my towing setup? Curious how long I can go especially since the camper is wider than my tailgate. Hoping to leave tailgate on at this point.

Let me know if you need more pics or if you cant see them. I tried to post the pic of the trailer tongue hitting the receiver but it seems to have an error every time.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The fact that your trailer is a V nose may allow you to go 8โ€™ Long on the camper without a hitch extension or very least a short extension.
Jack knife your truck and trailer however tight you need to backup and measure clearance.
My short bed Dodge like yours carryโ€™s a camper thatโ€™s just shy of 9โ€™ over all or 9.5โ€™ in the center where the step is. I can pull the boat with a 9โ€ extension and not jack knife it hard or 18โ€ extension clears the camper unless I went over 90deg with trailer.
My V nose trailer clears even better since the boat is not v nose.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Take a look at the Northstar Liberty. You'll have to leave the tailgate off but there's little to no overhang.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Torklift Super Hitch. It bolts to your factory receiver and the truck frame. You now have a double 2โ€ receiver that their SuperTruss extensions fit. I use a 24โ€ version. It is rated for 1200lbs tongue weight and 12000lbs trailer weight on weight distribution hitches. They have various length SuperTruss extensions. You want to have the face of the receiver flush with the back of the tow vehicle to avoid clearance to trailer issues.

Now you can operate tailgate down.

Now you can shop for new or used 8ft category campers which greatly increases your choices.

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
My humble, and not very well informed, opinion is that you are are the right track looking for a camper that very nearly fits in your truck bed so you don't have to fool with hitch extensions. (though many do)
Cal

djg
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find a 2016 or earlier livin-lite 6.5 used you will most probably have what you need bed, fridge. stove, toilet and shower think it weighs in under 2000 lbs

Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel

RVDisney
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting I will google hitch extenders my trailer is rated for 7000lbs gvw. They offer them in that high or higher of a rating? And they just fit right in to my 2" receiver?