cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 holidays at Wallowa Lake State Park

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is this a nice place to go and spend a week or two? Is there lots to do around there?
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile
6 REPLIES 6

Cider
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks at Wallowa and you run out of things to do after a week. As others have said - real busy place at the end of the road. Fishing can be be good and there are streams nearby that can offer up trout and steelhead, depending on time of the year. September, weather starts to go south with rain and potential snow with cold weather. Towns are all based on tourist trade and expect prices to reflect that.
2017 Tiffin Allegro RED 33 AA
2020 JLUR
Roadmaster Baseplate
Sterling AT Tow Bar
Demco Air Force One Brake System

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks to all for the info

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
It is known as Rattlesnake Grade, WA 129/OR 3. It is a "snake", and fairly tight turns within the trip. Not a terrible pull, but it won't be fast and without some nerve tingling!!! Google "Rattlesnake Grade" for lots of info, pictures, and videos. A favorite of motorcycle riders, if that gives any indication of what it is like!!

Coming from the WA and heading south, in my opinion, the drop down to the Grande Ronde Rover is a bit steeper and tighter curves, than the OR side. Once up on the top again, it is a beautiful drive with forests, grasslands, and almost straight down to Enterprise, OR. Either way, N or S, will be a great but slow trip.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
paulj wrote:
It can be a base for exploring the Hells Canyon and Wallowa mountains.

There's a paved forest service road around the east side of the mountains to Halfway, with various gravel and dirt roads to overlooks, and even one rough one that gets down to Snake River level.

The drive from the north (Lewiston) includes a very curvy drop down to the La Grande River level and back up.

Is this a hard drive pull a Fifthwheel? what are the climbs like ?

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
It can be a base for exploring the Hells Canyon and Wallowa mountains.

There's a paved forest service road around the east side of the mountains to Halfway, with various gravel and dirt roads to overlooks, and even one rough one that gets down to Snake River level.

The drive from the north (Lewiston) includes a very curvy drop down to the La Grande River level and back up.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Biggie is boating. You can take the tram up to the top of the mountain and hike. Willowa Lake is at the absolute end of the road, a hundred miles from LaGrande right at the edge of the wilderness area. A week? Sure. Any more nope!
There is a relatively short white water route in the spring. The town of Joseph as I understand is a tourist trap. The park itself is super busy all summer, thus it is pretty restrictive.
If your looking for a lot of things to do, go to LaPine State Park. 14 miles of hiking/biking trails in the park. Hundred miles to Crater Lake. The Deschutes is now part of the national canoe trail. Caves to explore. Bend if you want a tourist trap. Not too far from Sisters, another tourist trap. Plus days more exploring all pretty close.