cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking to buy a used HTT, first camper, family of 4. Rec?

Rhizzlebop
Explorer
Explorer
I camped my whole life as a kid and as a 38 yr old married with two little boys we still visit and spend a couple days with my parents in their camper each year. We have no camper currently, but growing up i've camped in and driven my dads 3 class Cs and up to their former 34ft classA. Not afraid to tow a trailer one bit.

My boys are almost 3 and 1 yr old, and I plan to tow for 2-3 years with my chevy Trailblazer with inline 6. (5500 lb tow capacity with tow package and tranny cooler in place). I'll also get a load leveling hitch and a sway controller.
Recommendations on hitch and controller?

Looking at hybrid trailers, but open to other suggestions.

Would like a slide out for more space but they are fairly rare.

I'm currently pondering a 2007 Coyote 22CT. Looking about $6000 will buy it, but unsure if its a good buy or a decent quality to buy. I don't need a problem.

After a few years, I'll buy a truck and we'll prob upgrade to a bigger camper, so going used, i can prob sell it for not much less than I pay.

I've read some good about coyote, but also read about some models having a wood frame that rots, and a front cap will rot, and issues with flip bunk seals and such. Not sure what model year they upgraded these things, and if 2007 is good or bad.

Would prefer..

1. 3 bunks flip outs
2. slideout sofa or dinette.
3. Around 3500-4000 lb dry
4. Dont need a problem child.
5. Target was $5000, but can go a little more to buy something better to serve our need and want.

Require..
1. min 2 flip bunks
2. sofa
3. at least 19 ft box (22 is ok though)

Any input?
74 REPLIES 74

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Prior to purchase spend a little and have the unit checked out by a reputable service center that has no interest in the sale. My current hybrid of many years was checked out by the sellers mechanic. I did a walk through prior to signing and found severan hundred dollars in needed repairs which the seller did for free. Do you think he would have done this after I signed? No way. Personally I advise against hybrid due to external noise, needing to dry out at home after rainy camping trip, condensation and possible security issues with the tent ends. With six family members and towing with a mini van we need best weight to space ratio. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Rhizzlebop
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Rhizzlebop wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Half ton burb Thatโ€™s a multi generation dilemma. Might as well slap a plow on the f150 and get into the firewood delivery business??

I didnโ€™t get the joke but it sounds like a pretty good one. That F150 eco boost pulls better than anything Iโ€™ve ever seen

Nobody cares about how โ€œgoodโ€ it pulls. Itโ€™s how โ€œgoodโ€ it stops. FYI trailer brakes depend on user to properly plug in the receptical.

I care about both! Trailer lives matter! j/k

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Rhizzlebop wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Half ton burb Thatโ€™s a multi generation dilemma. Might as well slap a plow on the f150 and get into the firewood delivery business??

I didnโ€™t get the joke but it sounds like a pretty good one. That F150 eco boost pulls better than anything Iโ€™ve ever seen

Nobody cares about how โ€œgoodโ€ it pulls. Itโ€™s how โ€œgoodโ€ it stops. FYI trailer brakes depend on user to properly plug in the receptical.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

Rhizzlebop
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer

Rhizzlebop
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
What model suburban did you use? I saw some reference of 9000 pound dry. That better be an 8.1 burb from 01-06.

I was referring to my dads 98' suburban with 350 v8. He had heavier rear springs added and load E tires, and has been towing his 9000 lb Keystone Mountaineer TT around with it since he bought the camper new in 07'. beach, mountains, etc. Just in the past year a couple times he has towed the camper with his 2014 F150 Ecoboost ford.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
What model suburban did you use? I saw some reference of 9000 pound dry. That better be an 8.1 burb from 01-06.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
Rhizzlebop wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Rhizzlebop wrote:

Interesting that that is required. My dad told me the place he bought his from new showed him how to change the battery wire to get power from his vehicle and not have to use a house battery.

Well if his trailer had electric brakes, what he did was illegal. How could the trailer brakes work if it detached from his tow vehicle?

Obviously the brakes cant work then. Honestly it never occured to me that those brakes were required to, or even COULD work if it came off the car. I just figured thats what the safety chains are for, (2) for redundancy and that was that. It NEVER in my life occured to me that those brakes could or should work if it came off the car. I bet he has no idea and will not believe me when I tell him. His trailer deff has brakes, it weighs 9000 dry.

I'll go by costco, that guy talked ridiculous. Very unusual for costco to behave as such.

Yep, there is an extra safety cable that you are suppose to hook up to the truck along with the chains.

If it comes unhooked so only the chains are holding it, it pulls the cable and activates the trailer brakes.

I believe that is how it is suppose to work. I've been lucky enough to never have to test it! ๐Ÿ™‚

Attach the brake cable to frame of truck not the hitch. It designed to work if entire hitch chains and all rip off the truck. That can happen due to rust and there has not been a Tb or envoy for ten years lol.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Rhizzlebop wrote:
bikendan wrote:
Rhizzlebop wrote:

Interesting that that is required. My dad told me the place he bought his from new showed him how to change the battery wire to get power from his vehicle and not have to use a house battery.

Well if his trailer had electric brakes, what he did was illegal. How could the trailer brakes work if it detached from his tow vehicle?

Obviously the brakes cant work then. Honestly it never occured to me that those brakes were required to, or even COULD work if it came off the car. I just figured thats what the safety chains are for, (2) for redundancy and that was that. It NEVER in my life occured to me that those brakes could or should work if it came off the car. I bet he has no idea and will not believe me when I tell him. His trailer deff has brakes, it weighs 9000 dry.

I'll go by costco, that guy talked ridiculous. Very unusual for costco to behave as such.

Yep, there is an extra safety cable that you are suppose to hook up to the truck along with the chains.

If it comes unhooked so only the chains are holding it, it pulls the cable and activates the trailer brakes.

I believe that is how it is suppose to work. I've been lucky enough to never have to test it! ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Rhizzlebop
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Rhizzlebop wrote:

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Rhizzlebop wrote:

Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Rhizzlebop wrote:
Thinking I may have to go by costco after I measure the battery box and see if they have more options. That little group 14 he had was like $75, but being 14 and I have no idea how small that is, I wasn't interested.

He worked in the tire shop, and the batteries are stored there, but they don't install them or seem to know anything about them, and was busy, so maybe if I go by they will have more options to select from

Would it help for me to buy a terminal battery disconnect and install it on the battery under the cover to cut off the power?

Did you not see that I posted group 24, not 14? Group 14 is a motorcycle battery.
Every Costco I've been to, has lots of group 24 deep cycle batteries.
I'd call them back and ask for the group 24.
Most Costcos I've been to, have group 24, group 27 deep cycle batteries and 6v GC2 6v golf cart batteries.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Rhizzlebop
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking I may have to go by costco after I measure the battery box and see if they have more options. That little group 14 he had was like $75, but being 14 and I have no idea how small that is, I wasn't interested.

He worked in the tire shop, and the batteries are stored there, but they don't install them or seem to know anything about them, and was busy, so maybe if I go by they will have more options to select from

Would it help for me to buy a terminal battery disconnect and install it on the battery under the cover to cut off the power?

Rhizzlebop
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
well, you're required to have an operational battery while transporting the trailer. this is because the trailer's emergency breakaway switch needs 12v power to operated the electric brakes, in case the trailer detaches from the tow vehicle.
i had 2 12v deep cycle batteries from Costco, on my hybrid. they lasted 9 years and were still working when i sold it.
the prices you're quoting are too expensive. try Sam's or Costco.

if you never plan on dry camping or boondocking and will always have shore power, a cheap 12v group 24 marine battery will be fine.

I called costco and the guy said all they had for a deep cycle was a group 14, but couldn't really tell me the difference.

SO, am I gonna have to go over to my rental house and charge this sucker at least every 2 months during the non camp season?