cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Skylight cloudy after 2 years

dhull
Explorer
Explorer
What should be used to polish the haze that has developed on the outside of the skylight which is mounted above the shower.
What is the material, plexiglass or what?

2017 Wolf Creek 840 TC
11 REPLIES 11

HTElectrical
Explorer
Explorer
Due to UV exposure to all plastic trim, fixtures etc... in bathroom I painted mine with RUST-OLEUM 2X. I just wish that I would of painted it as soon as I purchased my RV, so as to avoid the yellowing that occurred. I would assume that the smoke covers block more UV also.

2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I read that toothpaste could be used to clear up automobile headlights. Don't know about your situation. I would probably opt to just replace the skylight if it wasn't too big a deal. Have no idea what the cost or labor would be, but possibly easily done by yourself.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
The skylight takes a beating especially if you are an open air camper so that you solar or satellite dish can work. It will get brittle & hazy in no time. Use 303 on it at least twice a year. Takes all of 5 minutes to do.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Rhigley
Explorer
Explorer
I use McQuires cleaner wax 50 works good. I apply about 3 0r 4 times
2016 Four Winds 31E
Amatuer Radio KF6OOK

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I've been told to use Aerospace 303 on them to prevent that, not that I do. You'd have to do it fairly often.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

bighog01
Explorer
Explorer
Replace it. Only a matter of time before it starts cracking. Those kinds of roof pieces are only good for about 4 years here in Florida.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
The skylight turning hazy is due to UV exposure. Eventually the sun will take a toll on the skylight just like it does on the ceiling vent covers. You'll need to try something you can put on it to protect it from UV and plan on replacing it in the future as preventive maintenance. Inspect it from time to time and look for cracking around the edge of the inside edge of the flange. When replacing it they make skylights out of UV resistant plastic but they will be a little more expensive. Figure on replacing it after the trailer is about 6 years old.

Mine turned hazy and also developed cracks after about 7 years at the inside edge of the flange where the plastic curves to form the flange. I had noticed the bottom lens had condensation on the inside and when I took it down water had been running under the ceiling paneling. That's when I saw the cracks in the skylight. the Skylight framing was damp and water stained. I could see that water was wicking under the ceiling paneling. When checking the ceiling panel to see how sturdy it was I wound up putting my thumb through a spot where the it was rotting. There was some wet insulation and signs of beginning of rot of the rafters in the ceiling. To stop any further water from getting into the ceiling I packed some small pieces of paper towel under the edges of rubber roof that was folded down and stapled inside the Skylight frame to make drip edges so the water would drip into the tub and not wick into the roof anymore. I'm going to get some clear Flex Seal to spray the entire skylight on the outside of the trailer to seal it so it doesn't leak anymore. Then when I get some time I'll have to remove the metal edging along the roof edge so that I can lift up the rubber roof and see how bad it is, take care of any damage and replace the skylight. Due to the age of the trailer I might as well replace the rubber roof anyway.

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Keepers Friend.
cpaulsen

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
How about painting it to help stop all that heat blazing in? Krylon makes a paint for plastic.

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't know, but you might try that lens restorer they sell at auto stores for restoring headlamps.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Mine hazed many years ago. But nothing to see but clouds and treetops so have never done anything about it. One of the headlight polishing kits should do it.