cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for Long Island RVers

BeerBrewer
Explorer
Explorer
We are thinking about purchasing a Travel Trailer and I know that this may sound crazy, but I'm concerned about getting on and off Long Island. It us a hassle by car and I can't even imagine what it would like Towing a Travel Trailer.

So I'm wondering how you RVer's that either live on or vacation on Long Island do it? Do you travel at night or early in the morning? Do you have a preferred bridge? Is one of the ferries a viable option?

Your opinions and experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I typically cross the gw mid day, preferably on a weekend. When returning from a cross country trip, I usually stop at Cabelas at Hamburg and again cross mid day.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, the first few trips will be a little stressful. Give yourself plenty of time so that nothing has to be done in a rush and be absolutely sure you have enough fuel to get you through the city. I have a full tank of gas when I get on the LIE at exit 52 and know for certain I can make to a rest stop on the NJ Turnpike well before I'm at a quarter tank. I always plan a stop at the last rest area on 95 before getting to the GWB to fill-up for the last leg of the trip home.

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
When we're camping off Long Island we always leave early (5:00am) and try to plan our return so we're over the GW bridge during the early afternoon before rush hour. So far that has worked well for us.

You can probably avoid a lot of traffic by leaving at night but I'd rather not arrive at a campground at night since finding your way to the campground and/or your campsite at night, absent the visual clues you have during the day, can be challenging.

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
I leave very early in AM. Use the GW if heading south, if heading North and have to cross the Hudson I use the Newburgh Beacon and avoid the Tapan Zee. As you should know getting off LI the Throgs Neck is your best bet.
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW