Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing pop up

oil8390
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Just a quick question, I am wondering if it is necessary to winterize my pop up camper if I have never ran water or used water in the trailer , it is brand new and came de-winterized from the dealer.

Thanks
Justin
7 REPLIES 7

Rustycamperpant
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an outside shower, do not forget that as well. I had to replace my entire outside shower fixture on my PUP when I had it ... I just plain forgot and what a suprise when I de winterized in the spring...
2009 Ford Expedition EB, 3.73, Equal-i-zer
2015 KZ Sportsman Showstopper 301BH

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
I empty the holding tank, pull the supply like from the tank and put it in a gallon of antifreeze (Pink stuff), and turn on faucets, shower head until pink stuff comes thru, usually use about half gallon, then I put some in the toilet holding tank and run till Pink.....overall less than a gallon used.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you run antifreeze through all faucets, showers, toilet if equipped. HWH on bybass or 6 gallons of antifreeze just for that unit. Dump some down all traps and its over.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Only takes a few minutes to blow out the water lines and add a bit of antifreeze to the "P" traps. Do it!

RimCountry
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on the type of pup, Justinโ€ฆ if it does have water lines and an electric pump, even though the holding tank may have always been empty, you might still want to run the pump briefly just to make certain that the lines are clear.

You might also want to consider propping open the door on your refrigerator with a hand towel, just enough to allow air circulation.

And you folks can get some serious snow up there in Alberta. If youโ€™re storing the pup outside, and if it has a heating & A/C unit topside, or even a crank-up vent / fan assembly, you should consider a tarp, just to guard against weeks or months of snow load melting and re-freezing, playing havoc on gaskets and caulk.

Other than that, relax and count the days โ€˜till spring!
Michael, Suzy & Arnie Asada (Chihuahua)
'97 Viking Legend 2480
'19 RAM 1500 Laramie 5.7L Hemi

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
de-winterized to me would mean they got the antifreeze out. You should check to see if it has water in the lines. How did the check for leaks when you bought it if they didn't put in water?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If there is no water to freeze, there is no need to winterize the plumbing...but are you sure? Did you check the traps? Water heater? Blow the lines?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad