cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aluminum vs Fiberglass

Roadhound_64
Explorer
Explorer
Hello.....I am looking to buy a travel trailer. I have previously own 2 Fiberglass units. I saw a program on TV talking about RV's and the person was saying aluminum trailers were better in a lighting strike than fiberglass.
I would like to know what is the pro & con of the two.Thanks for your wisdom & knowledge.
55 REPLIES 55

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
DB Cooper wrote:
Did anyone mention the price difference between the two siding types. From what I've observed, its around 20% more for fiberglass siding.

Jayco offers two siding options on Jay Flights. Aluminum and fiberglass. The fiberglass option includes frameless windows. It's a 6% option.
Or the insurance discount for fiberglass.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
DB Cooper wrote:
Did anyone mention the price difference between the two siding types. From what I've observed, its around 20% more for fiberglass siding.

Jayco offers two siding options on Jay Flights. Aluminum and fiberglass. The fiberglass option includes frameless windows. It's a 6% option.

DB_Cooper
Explorer
Explorer

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Floor plan, floor plan, floor plan. What you wrap it in is way down the list.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
Roadhound 64 wrote:
I was married got divorce 2yrs ago became handicap ( Neuropathy ). At that time I had a 2005 Excursion pulling a Rockwood 2601s. Became depressed and sold both. I have 3 kids and now my spirits are up and ready to enjoy life. We want to get back into RVing. Pulling up to a hotel is much different than pulling into a campground. Last month I sold my 2013 Explorer and brought a 2013 Expedition EL Limited with tow package 8900 lbs. I want something with Murphy bed. Under 30 feet...I like the Jayco White Hawk 24MBH. I like the Lance but not sure if I can afford it. I plan on taking 1 yr paying down on the Expedition at the same time saving up for a good down payment on a used trailer. Thanks for all the replies. Also I am hearing so much on Fiberglass delamination will all fiberglass trailers eventually have delamination issues?

If maintained properly, none of the fiberglass sided campers should delaminate. If not, it really doesnโ€™t matter which style you have. It will fall apart eventually.

Even a perfectly maintained RV can de-laminate. It's possible that the glue from the factory was defective or was not applied right and could cause the filon to separate from the luan. Very rare but possible.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Roadhound 64 wrote:
I was married got divorce 2yrs ago became handicap ( Neuropathy ). At that time I had a 2005 Excursion pulling a Rockwood 2601s. Became depressed and sold both. I have 3 kids and now my spirits are up and ready to enjoy life. We want to get back into RVing. Pulling up to a hotel is much different than pulling into a campground. Last month I sold my 2013 Explorer and brought a 2013 Expedition EL Limited with tow package 8900 lbs. I want something with Murphy bed. Under 30 feet...I like the Jayco White Hawk 24MBH. I like the Lance but not sure if I can afford it. I plan on taking 1 yr paying down on the Expedition at the same time saving up for a good down payment on a used trailer. Thanks for all the replies. Also I am hearing so much on Fiberglass delamination will all fiberglass trailers eventually have delamination issues?

If maintained properly, none of the fiberglass sided campers should delaminate. If not, it really doesnโ€™t matter which style you have. It will fall apart eventually.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Roadhound_64
Explorer
Explorer

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
GrandpaKip wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Find a fiberglass sided aluminum framed trailer that uses Azdel as the backing for the fiberglass. Zero delamination.

Agreed 100%

Look at a Lance. They have Azdel under the upscale fiberglass and also use Azdel on all interior walls! They're spendy, but well worth it!

So, if there is a leak, the glue Lance uses wonโ€™t come apart?

No Lance's come apart, afaik.

Thatโ€™s nice. However, as far as I know, no Skyline Darts have delaminated, either.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Find a fiberglass sided aluminum framed trailer that uses Azdel as the backing for the fiberglass. Zero delamination.

Agreed 100%

Look at a Lance. They have Azdel under the upscale fiberglass and also use Azdel on all interior walls! They're spendy, but well worth it!

No Lance's come apart, afaik.
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
GrandpaKip wrote:
FrankShore wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

Agreed 100%

That's the part they don't mention. The water based, low VOC adhesives they use are susceptible to being dissolved by... wait for it... water.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
badsix wrote:
when looking at T/T at a large dealer I walked by a stick and tin T/T. I noticed right at the trim molding of the front cap there were tiny little corrosion holes looked like electrolysis to me, and this was on a NEW STILL ON THE LOT T/T. i'm not sure how long it had been there, may have been last years model but its something to think about.
Jay D.

Maybe it got struck by lightning?
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

badsix
Explorer
Explorer
when looking at T/T at a large dealer I walked by a stick and tin T/T. I noticed right at the trim molding of the front cap there were tiny little corrosion holes looked like electrolysis to me, and this was on a NEW STILL ON THE LOT T/T. i'm not sure how long it had been there, may have been last years model but its something to think about.
Jay D.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
FrankShore wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

Agreed 100%

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
Andersen Hitch

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
colliehauler wrote:
Aluminum sided trailers would act like a Faraday cage in a lightning strike.
If they also have a bonded aluminum roof.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L