cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

26K GVWR F-53 Shortest Motorhome

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone pin down which model(s) are on the 26K F-53 that are short? I can't say I am looking for a 32' for example because there may be a 30' motorhome that is on that chassis. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on what Chum lee says

Find the right floor plan/length 1st than look at the chassis, you wont find a 26000lb chassis on any gas motorhome under 34 foot, besides the newer 24,000lb chassis has a higher towing rate than the 26,000lb, mine is 33 foot long with 2 slides on a 20,500lb chassis and it works just fine..

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
Can anyone pin down which model(s) are on the 26K F-53 that are short? I can't say I am looking for a 32' for example because there may be a 30' motorhome that is on that chassis. Thanks.

You are asking a coach builder to use a more expensive chassis (longer and higher GVWR) on a cheaper coach. (shorter) That doesn't make sense. The location of the rear wheels affects their standard floor plans. Chances are the coach manufacturer isn't going to redesign their floor plan for a one time deal that makes sense to only one person. (you)

I'm sure you can find someone to do if but, most likely it's going to be a special order if it's under 32'. Read $$$$$$$$.

Chum lee

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
fred42 wrote:
theoldwizard1 wrote:
How many version of the current F53 exist and what is the big differences ? I am sure they are the same engine and transmission.

Here is a Ford document:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/22414_Class_A_Brochure_2018_ARLS...

The 24,000 lb chassis has a 6000 lb towing weight, NICE..

However the RV manufacture always down grades it to 5000 lbs

I also noticed the 20,500 lb chassis has been upgraded to 5500 lb towing capacity but my 07 chassis is the exact same but is only 5300 lbs.

fred42
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
How many version of the current F53 exist and what is the big differences ? I am sure they are the same engine and transmission.

Here is a Ford document:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/brochures/2018/22414_Class_A_Brochure_2018_ARLS...
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

The difference is length of chassis, front and rear axle weight ratings, wheel size, bigger leaf springs and brakes but pretty much everything else is the same..

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 08 Bounder 32W 33 foot long with 2 slides on a 20,500 lb Ford chassis and its just fine, fully loaded it weights 19,800 lbs, why would you need a 26,000 lb chassis on a 32 footer or shorter unless you plan on carrying rocks in the RV..

:C

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Tiffin 32SA is on the 24K chassis and we live in it (full timing as they say). Fully loaded and with 3/4 tank of gas and water tanks about half full it weighs 22,500 pounds with the 1500 extra pounds of payload about equally split between the front and rear axles. But some older 32SAs are on 22K chassis though the 24K is now standard. The 32SA also has the advantage of a 228โ€ wheelbase, longer than any competitors of its size, and no awkward long rear overhang.

Note that though the 34PA now has the 26K chassis standard until this year the 26K was an option and there are many out there on the 24K.

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
In some cases Newmar will build a customer ordered coach on a heavier chassis, you'd have to contact them and ask which models. If new is what you're looking for.

Tiffin is known for not skimping on chassis either.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Couple of models to consider.

Tiffin 32SA at 34' 3"
Winnebago Sightseer/Sunova 33C at 34' 4"
Newmar Canyon Star 3513 at 35' 11"
Fleetwood Southwind 34C and Bounder 33C at 34' 3'
Forest River FR3 32DS at 33' 11"
Forest River Georgetown 31L5 and 31R5 at 34' 11"

These are all brochure numbers along with my fat fingers so until verified should be considered suspect.

Smallest 26K chassis Ford sells is 32' and a few inches but that is frame end to frame end. Front and rear caps spacing will add a few feet to pretty much every coach design. The chassis is Ford's most expensive so you'll going to be looking at higher end houses built on it and sometimes the chassis is an optional upgrade from the 24,000 lbs version.

Personally I'm a bit partial to the Tiffin 34PA which comes in at 36' 1".
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
I will speak only of 26k chassis units, of which there arenโ€™t many. The Newmar Canyon Star 3513 is 35โ€™11โ€. Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34PA is 36โ€™1โ€ long. These two are the shortest ones Iโ€™m aware of.

G-Dad
Explorer
Explorer
The shorter units probably donโ€™t weigh enough to justify the 26klbs chassis. What is the reason for wanting the high GVWR chassis on a lighter unit?

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Winnebago has several models built on the F53 that are shorter than 30'
Any that are on the 26K chassis or even able to upgrade to that chassis size?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago has several models built on the F53 that are shorter than 30'