cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florence and the SC Roads

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I am sitting in IL wanting to hook up and go to Huntington Beach SP.

I40 from Nashville to I26

I26 to Columbia

I20 to Florence

Then comes the 501 deal and finishing up on 544 to bypass 17S.

What is the info on some flooding on I40 (like where)?

If the Wacama (spelling) crests without shutting down 501, I am thinking I should be good to go. What do you all think?

Maybe flooding in Conway will kill the trip?

thanks
8 REPLIES 8

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Whoah, i deserve to get beaten up cus of where i posted this.

Thanks for the info folks. The saga is over. We re staying put until winter.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
We came up from Fl yesterday back to our home in Holden Beach NC, 30 miles North of Myrtle Beach. We came down 378 off 95 towards MB. Used the Waze app. We had no problems at all. When we got to Conway it took us on 90 towards NMB. I noticed a line going 15-501 in Conway but I think still passable. Worst case you could take the route we took to NMB then go south on 31 bypass.

I have heard of several folks from our area coming in from Columbia with no problems.

378 was an easy drive no water, not dangerous at all.

We were towing a 28 foot TT. Traffic not bad either.

PS: stay out of SE NC. rivers still rising till maybe tomorrow or so

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
Don't know what section, but I saw photos of I-40 under water. Yesterday I read the the Wacama (sp like you did) has not crested yet. Said that flooding will continue thru the end of the month.

correct. large section of i-40 from pender county to wilmington is a lake as of last night.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
im in south central nc. tons of roads still closed around here. as you mentioned the 501 section and conway are in question day to day. even if open the flow of traffic from people returning to their homes in the myrtle beach and surrounding areas is pretty busy also. our nc dot website has pretty accurate up to date road closure info. people in our area are getting good results with the waze app on iphones for real time road info. someone mentioned contacting the park for their details. hope you can make it and its enjoyable. we have reservations there 1st part of january

avoid i-40 towards wilmington and the entire wilmington area in general at all costs. there are only a few ways to get into wilmington right now and the relief effort vechicles and power companies have to use the route to get in there. large areas of wilmington still have no power

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Moved from General RVing
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you checked to see if HBSP is open for camping?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't know what section, but I saw photos of I-40 under water. Yesterday I read the the Wacama (sp like you did) has not crested yet. Said that flooding will continue thru the end of the month.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
There are various online resources that show road conditions.....including "mapping" your trip on Google maps.....that will show closed roads and traffic congestion.

Also do a Google search for 511 South Carolina.

I think it is too soon.
People that actually NEED to be on the roads in the area.....like those going to their house that has been DESTROYED should have priority. And the traffic will be HEAVY with those folks going back home for another week or so, I think.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"