cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ride Rite Air Bags - How to use?

rsmithtesiusa
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this has been answered but couldn't find in search. Feel free to direct me to other threads.

Fairly new to MH world, have a 2017 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SA that has the Firestone Ride Rite airbags on the rear. We use the MH for general camping as well as Jeep off-roading where we pull the Jeep on a trailer.

What is the correct way to use the air bags? The instructions are very vague with no specifics or guidelines for proper psi or how to gauge proper inflation. Anyone use these on a regular basis and have some "rules of thumb" or procedures they use to set up correctly? I know i will have to vary the set-up between regular and trailer use.

Just to keep the conversation on track - I am very familiar with GVWR etc. and weigh the loaded rig regularly, do not exceed the ratings for total, axle, tongue weights etc. Also have been down the road of flat tow vs trailer and found the trailer fits our needs for hauling our rig.

Any advice appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 12 winnebago aspect. It came with air bags and when we bought it they were basically empty. Like you I didnt know how much was needed added about 50psi and off we went. the bus just wallowed all over, caused me to think I needed to invest in new shocks, sway bars etc. Once home and out again raised psi to 55-60 and things began to improve. Later got up to around 70-75 and I think that is the sweet spot for ours. Just have to play with the pressure setting till you are comfortable and the rig handles as you like it. Still does have reaction to 'bow wave' from big passing vehicles but it is nothing like it was initially. The PIA was the 2 fill ports trying to even everything out equally. made a Tee and tied the 2 valves together and now its good to go. The tee is just like the one that comes in the kits that are installed on pickups etc except its home made with parts from a hose supply company. 1 fill port and both sides are equalized. we put over 4000 miles on this summer and had no issues with the airbags and the tee. Another thing to set the ride is to find the right tire pressure. we run 60 in fronts and 65-70 in rears so again its a mixture of everything.

mda
Explorer
Explorer
I have had them on my 30 ft. C for 12 years. In all those years, trial and error was the best way I found to get the ride and handling I wanted. I found that I had to adjust the air according to the load.
Sometimes you find the “sweet” spot!

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a bubble level and added air accordingly. Normal load and I keep 50 PSI in them, pulling the different trailers I have, I load up then level again, sometimes as high as 90psi.

You should always have some PSI in them, even 5 pounds, keeps them from wrinkling and is generally good idea. Employer had 1000 trucks with Firestones on them and rarely had a failure.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Put some air in them and see how things look and behave. The basic goal is to have the suspension at the "correct" ride height

Exactly ! That's what I did when I had AB's .

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Put some air in them and see how things look and behave. The basic goal is to have the suspension at the "correct" ride height (basically the unloaded or lightly loaded ride height). Of course, since you have no chance to see a motorhome chassis in an unloaded state as the load is permanently attached, this is somewhat of a guessing game. You can get some idea of how its going by watching the ride height change as you put air in or let air out. (They don't need much air volume.)

I find somewhere around 35-45 psi seems about right for my class C. Too little air and the back end tends to wallow around a lot. Too much air and it's too harsh. You won't damage anything so long as you stay within the pressure range that Firestone specifies--the unmodified suspension is capable of carrying the full rated weight.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
These posts in Class C have Ride rite in them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman