cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing front cap decals alternative

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
I asked this question at the end of another post and got no responses, so thought I'd try a new post.

Has anyone ever looked into truck wraps as a alternative solution to replacing the decals on the front cap of a fifth wheel?? Would not necessarily have to be a duplication of the factory graphics but just something to cover the cap. Cost may be prohibitive, but bet it would be less expensive than painting.
9 REPLIES 9

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
77rollalong wrote:
Have you checked on amazon for replacement decals ?

I've checked all over the internet with nothing found. Did find some for older models. I haven't called Crossroads factory yet because I know the price will be high, however I will check with them before doing anything.

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked on amazon for replacement decals ?

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking about painting our front cap and maybe putting an flying American flag on the front. If I can find one that wont fade.
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
sjturbo wrote:
I think the painting is the best long term option. I believe that wraps have a limited life span just as the original decals do. I have thought along the same lines as fyrflie. Lot of labor but longer lasting results I think.

No doubt painting would look better and last longer. My trailer is 8 years old and I probably won't keep it for more than another year or two at most. I'm just looking for something to help the resale.

I just talked with a local shop and although they can't replicate the original graphics at a reasonable cost, they can do something simple for less than $200.

I'm now trying to determine if I can overlay the wrap over the original graphics without having to peel them off. It's a matter of how bad the contour will show through.

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
I think the painting is the best long term option. I believe that wraps have a limited life span just as the original decals do. I have thought along the same lines as fyrflie. Lot of labor but longer lasting results I think.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most likely, when you remove the decals, the image of the old decals will still be present on the cap.
It may be possible to sand that image out, but it really depends.

When I removed mine, I used the existing image as a template for spraying on, with automotive paint, the new stripes. I even changed the colors.
It was a lot of labor but well worth it in my opinion.

If you apply the wrap, how long would you expect that to last and would it be cost effective vs. paint.

Good luck with your project.

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
Call the manufacturer. I got a new set of decals sent out free by Cedar Creek. Not sure if they all do it.
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Had my cap painted with epoxy paint. $800, it looks great and never worry about it again.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
When my front decals started peeling, I went to a wrap shop asking if they could replicate the existing decals. Guy said they could take a picture of the existing ones and create new ones to closely match. Don't remember the quoted cost. It wasn't cheap, but not outrageously expensive. He also said they could produce most any kind of scene or design from one of their stock designs or photos or a picture I could produce. But the manufacturer of my 5er supplied new front decals for free and I installed them myself costing me nothing.

There are many places to buy different type decals such as wallartworld.com if you want to stand out from the crowd. Have no idea about the long term quality of any of them.