cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Irish Spring Soap as Mouse Deterrant

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Saw a post on Facebook stating that placing bits of Irish Spring handsoap throughout the RV is an effective deterrant against mice. Has anybody here tried that, and does it work? Or do you just wind up with a bunch of nice smelling clean mice?

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.
30 REPLIES 30

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Jackfate wrote:
Tried fresh cab ( now marketed as stay away for mice) under hood of TV 2 packs next to the batteries, changed every* 5-6 weeks, truck was parked in garage. Mice chewed the tops of both batteryโ€™s insulators inches from the stay away packets. In car they continue to nest under the hood liner. I run 3 bucket traps that I constantly catch mice in

* Instructions of stay away says good up to 2months

Fresh cab & stay away just doesnโ€™t work for me and itโ€™s $$$

It's still Fresh Cab. They pulled it off the market late last year but it's back under the same name. Amazon just delivered a fresh batch yesterday. I'm going to put it out in the RV later today. I did get some poison as a backup but that will be a last resort. I don't want mouse carcasses rotting in the RV.

Stay Away is a different formula manufactured by the same company (Earthkind).

It's amazing to me how widely varied the success rates are for all of these options. I wonder if it's regional?
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
A lot of people use these "Miracle products" because they seem to work. In reality there are no mice to drive away. The only sure things are poison and traps. Ever see a professional exterminator spreading around dryer sheets or bars of soap?

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Jackfate
Explorer
Explorer
turbojimmy wrote:
nodepositnoreturn wrote:
Donโ€™t work. The electric things donโ€™t work, nothing does . Must seal any opening bigger than a dime.
I am fighting mice in a cabin I have in the woods.

Tried peppermint, mothballs ,oils, steel wool. poison,traps. Iโ€™m not there f/t but a cat is a good choice.
There are down sides to traps and poisons as rotting carcasses really stink up a area.

Fresh Cab works, and doesn't smell horrible. I wouldn't say it smells great but it's tolerable. It was taken off the market by the manufacturer late last year but it's back. They didn't really have a clear explanation but I've read it was an issue with one of their suppliers related to the EPA-certification of the ingredients. I'm hoping they didn't change the formula because it does work.

Fresh Cab on Amazon

Tried fresh cab ( now marketed as stay away for mice) under hood of TV 2 packs next to the batteries, changed every* 5-6 weeks, truck was parked in garage. Mice chewed the tops of both batteryโ€™s insulators inches from the stay away packets. In car they continue to nest under the hood liner. I run 3 bucket traps that I constantly catch mice in

* Instructions of stay away says good up to 2months

Fresh cab & stay away just doesnโ€™t work for me and itโ€™s $$$

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
We used to use Irish spring and dryer sheets. One year when we opened the TT up all the Irsih spring soap had teeth marks in it.
My brother laughed and said after the mice ate the soap the used the dryer sheets to wipe their mouth.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
And the mice like it too........Pink Hearts, Yellow Moons, Green Clovers, Blue Diamonds. Irish Spring, its magically delicious.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Ma's home made soap, they wouldn't et much of it. It would have et their insides out, I think.
The smell might have kept them away too.
What about Acifidity? ๐Ÿ™‚

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
Fresh Cab!

dcmac214
Explorer
Explorer

Shearwater
Explorer
Explorer
Irish Spring only works on snakes.
Advanced RV Sprinter

Road_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Fresh Cab for years in 5 motorhomes and now my fifth wheel. Never had a mouse in any of them. You can get it at Amazon and Tractor Supply also has it. I buy 16 packs at a time and put the packets all over the unit. It really works! It smells like Balsam Trees! I guess mice don't like the smell. It reminds me of Christmas!

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™ve tried the Irish Spring.....the mice chewed on it! Weโ€™ve tried the โ€œdryer sheetsโ€.... I think they used them for bedding!

Right now weโ€™re using..... cotton balls, with several drops of Peppermint Essential Oils. Supposedly....mice โ€œdo notโ€ like peppermint! The ball is then placed in a small plastic container ( similar to what restaurant condiments come in) with the lid perforated. These are placed around the camper. Canโ€™t attest to their success....just started trying them!
Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
winniman wrote:
I put several bars of irish spring out because I heard the same thing. The bars got all chewed up. I guess the mice like the taste of a spring day in Ireland.

Someone posted a photo once of a bar of Irish Spring with little nibbles out of it.

We use dryer sheets to keep bugs out of drawers and cabinets. We put a half a sheet into every drawer and cabinet. Seems to work as the only place we had spiders were at places we didn't have a dryer sheet.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
ZINGERLITE wrote:
I used a couple dryer sheets in my snowmobile a few summers ago. In the fall i found them as a base for their nest.

Also, based on experience.... NEVER USE MOTH BALLS. holy ****, it took most of the summer for that smell to go away.

I have used mothballs... you need to put them Outside the trailer, around anything touching the ground - tires, front jack, stabilizers if you put them down.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
we tried the Bounce sheets and Irish Spring thingy several years back. Mice made a nest from the sheets so I guess the soap trick didn't work for us either.

Fresh Cab has always worked for me. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380