cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Hiking and Camping Gear Suggestions?

jnorthcott22
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone, I go on several backpacking trips a year and always needing to replace old gear every year. Any tips on a store with good prices for good quality gear?

I found "campingthingz.com" which has some good prices overall and a lot of various hiking gear and survival kits and tools which is what I usually am looking for most.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!
7 REPLIES 7

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon if you know what you want. I try to buy local but Amazon is so cheap it is hard to justify
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you need to replace gear every year, you are probably buying crummy equipment. Step up and buy some better stuff that you can depend on. That means stores like REI, Moosejaw, maybe Campmor for sale items.

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
You want good equipment cheap? Go to an area where hiking and camping are big deals and visit the pawn shops and thrift stores. There is where you will find high quality equipment at amazingly good prices. Especially thrift stores in "rich" areas are another place to check out. You would be surprised what gets "given" to these places.

For example, I got a flourescent orange REAL artic coat, like for Antartica, for 39 bucks that had likely been worn once when someone went on a trip to Antartica 15 years earlier and they decided to give it to the local thrift shop. It's the real deal like you see the scientists etc. wearing on documentaries.

This was a custom made coat from an English company that doesn't sell anything for less than 1500 bucks with the extendable fur lined face cone and amazing amounts like four inches thisk of real down not feathers. I now live in Montana and I dont' even break this coat out until single digits it is so warm. But we have 20 thirty below days/weeks here in lat Jan/early Feb and this is an awesome coat.

So, I suggest when you are visiting certain areas of the country, you stop in thrift stores and pawn shops.

Oh, did you know there is only ONE Patagonia outlet store in the world? It is in Dillon MT. The owner of Patagonia apparently fishes there and for some reason decided to open the only one in the world there. Great deals, better than the best clearance prices online. Most of the stuff is still high but go through the racks and amazing deals are to be had. So, if you are traveling MT, it is worth a stop. AND twice a year they have sales. About half of MT tries to get in.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Ha! Everyone posting above is probably right!

But in a response to the OP's comment .... if you TAKE CARE OF YOUR EQUIPMENT, clean it and store it away when not in use in a clean and dry environment, hiking and camping gear will last a long, long time.... even the stuff purchased from WalMart! Which is where I get most of my stuff from.

Buy WalMart! Buy WalMart! Buy WalMart! ... Advertising? Well, I don't work there, so I think I can get away with this snide comment!

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, there's another one under Forum Posting Help and Support selling solar heating equipment.
But, it's not as subtle as this one.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda like posting "now what do I do with a hydraulic motorcycle carrier" pretending it isn't an advertisement for selling it.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Another free advertisement courtesy of RV.NET ๐Ÿ˜‰