cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Aqua hot 400d winterization

et2
Explorer
Explorer
We have no experience with this system. I've decided to winterize our new rig this year. Dealers prices have gotten ridiculious for this. Almost $300 to winterize and de-winterize. I use to do our old rigs in the past.

Plans are to blow the lines out first about 30psi and then add RV red pop. So on the aqua hot can you use the rigs heating system with the red pop in the water lines ( no don't plan to use the water). Just heat is needed. Not sure if heating the red pop is good or not.

Is just pumping the red pop thru the water pump to winterize and run hot on faucets sufficient to winterize the aqua hot?
11 REPLIES 11

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Solo wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

http://www.aquahot.com/files/service_manual/AHE-400-D01_Service_Manual_Rev_D.pdf

You can use a Aqua Hot for FURNACE operation after it is winterized. There is no danger or damage than can happen when winterized. There is nothing to "expand". Doug

From page 107, "NOTE: The Aqua-Hot can continue to be used for interior zone heating once the domestic water heating system
has been drained and winterized....with FDA-approved โ€œGRASโ€ RV Antifreeze". As mentioned, winterized per instructions-no problem using for heating.

And there's my answer. Thank you.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
chastho wrote:
Do not run Aqua hot with out fluid {water or antifreeze} in the water lines. If you blow out the water lines do not run the Aqua hot I did and it cost me $8,ooo for new unit. The copper lines when dry will rupture from the heat.

Read the next post. There is NO heat difference when there is NO WATER in the water coil in the tank. What you probably did was, you blew out the lines and failed to put RV antifreeze thru the copper coils. Aqua Hot states that blowing out will NOT remove all the water drops from that interior coil and the coil is so small in diameter, that the small amount will freeze and rupture the copper coil. Doug

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

http://www.aquahot.com/files/service_manual/AHE-400-D01_Service_Manual_Rev_D.pdf

You can use a Aqua Hot for FURNACE operation after it is winterized. There is no danger or damage than can happen when winterized. There is nothing to "expand". Doug

From page 107, "NOTE: The Aqua-Hot can continue to be used for interior zone heating once the domestic water heating system
has been drained and winterized....with FDA-approved โ€œGRASโ€ RV Antifreeze". As mentioned, winterized per instructions-no problem using for heating.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

chastho
Explorer
Explorer
Do not run Aqua hot with out fluid {water or antifreeze} in the water lines. If you blow out the water lines do not run the Aqua hot I did and it cost me $8,ooo for new unit. The copper lines when dry will rupture from the heat.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
et2 wrote:
joerg68 wrote:
Out of curiosity, I copied your thread title into a google search.
The first hit was the service manual, which deals with winterizing on pages 13-14:

Thanks , I do have the manual but as many it's somewhat vague. As it doesn't say anything about using the aqua hot for just heating with the RV anti freeze in the water lines. I'm afraid it might expand too much or cause problems.

I decided just to get a couple eletric heaters to use.

Thanks to all for the replies

et2
Explorer
Explorer
joerg68 wrote:
The first hit was the service manual, which deals with winterizing on pages 13-14:

Thanks , I do have the manual but as many it's somewhat vague. As it doesn't say anything about using the aqua hot for just heating with the RV anti freeze in the water lines. I'm afraid it might expand too much or cause problems.

I decided just to get a couple eletric heaters to use.

Thanks to all for the replies

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
norwestie wrote:
The AquaHot lines are filled with a glycol-based antifreeze so there is no winterizing needed. Just the waterlines.

WRONG!!!!! Aqua Hots need the fresh water coil that heats up to give hot water on demand RV antifreeze. That coil runs thru the propylene Glycol tank, but if that tank is NOT heated during freezing weather the small cold water line coil will freeze and cost you upwards of $6000 or higher. below from the Aqua hot owners manual. Doug

Winterization:
When itโ€™s time to store a motor home for the winter months or when freezing temperatures are expected, itโ€™s crucial to properly winterize the Aqua-Hot to avoid serious damage, requiring a complete system replacement not cov-ered under the Aqua-Hot Limited Warranty Statement. The process of winterization consists of completely draining the domestic water from the system and pumping RV winteriza-tion antifreeze through to flush out the system.
Not winterizing the Aqua-Hot when freezing temperatures are present will result in SERIOUS damage to the Aqua-Hotโ€™s Domestic Water Heating System.

norwestie
Explorer
Explorer
The AquaHot lines are filled with a glycol-based antifreeze so there is no winterizing needed. Just the waterlines.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
2012 Ford Edge Limited toad

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
You drain the water system and blow out. Then you leave the low point cold water drain valve CLOSED and the low point hot water drain valve open. Take your gallon(may take 2) of RV antifreeze, disconnect the input feed at the water pump and connect a 3 foot hose to the input. Put the hose in the antifreeze and start the water pump. When the red/pink antifreeze comes out the low point hot water drain line, you have successfully run the antifreeze thru the Aqua Hot boiler fresh water coiled line. NOTHING else needs to be done as the rest of the Aqua Hot already has the correct antifreeze thru the system. Since you have NO tank water heater, you could just pump antifreeze thru the complete water system, but I do not, Blowing out is sufficient as long as you make sure all the water appliances have been blown out. Doug

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
et2 wrote:
We have no experience with this system. I've decided to winterize our new rig this year. Dealers prices have gotten ridiculous for this. Almost $300 to winterize and de-winterize. I use to do our old rigs in the past.

Plans are to blow the lines out first about 30psi and then add RV red pop. So on the aqua hot can you use the rigs heating system with the red pop in the water lines ( no don't plan to use the water). Just heat is needed. Not sure if heating the red pop is good or not.

Is just pumping the red pop thru the water pump to winterize and run hot on faucets sufficient to winterize the aqua hot?

You will be fine using the Heater with "Pink" in the lines - I've just blown out and used the heat and Never had a Problem - 14 years - the HWH is merely a copper coil that sits in the Boiler antifreeze - so filled or empty it is fine.

Check around for a Mobile tech might just get lucky and find someone who has done HH winterization for Much Less - Watch and Learn.

Good Luck and enjoy the system as it is Really good in Winter Cold.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow