Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Electrical Monitoring System

gja1000
Explorer
Explorer
Dear Fellow RVers,
I’ve searched the forums for information and decided I need an Electrical Monitoring System. My granddaughter lives in a TT full time at an older RV park while going to college. She just lost her AC and thermostat due to a surge. So she is getting an EMS, and we are looking for “best product” recommendations.

I’ve searched on google, and on Amazon, read reviews, articles, etc etc. I’m just wondering if any of you have a recommendation about the best most reliable product.
Thanks for any information that you might have.
6 REPLIES 6

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I started doing things this way in order to have a portable system to switch from rv to rv over time. There may be better products on the market but what I use works and has been working without incident.

First I check the pedestal using a Surge Guard 34930
to test the pedestal. If all checks out and the voltage is good, this is all I use. Been using this one for 4 or 5 yrs. , this is my normal most used set up. ( my model is actually the older version , I think its a 34830 model . Same basic product AFAIK.

https://www.technorv.com/surge-guard-portable-total-electrical-protection-34930/

On occasion , if the voltage is too low and needs boosting, I then fist plug the Surge Guard SSP 30x into the pedestal in order to protect the Hughes Autoformer which boosts voltage to a normal level. After the Hughes I plug in the 34930 .

This is what I plug into the pedestal first. http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ssp-30x

Then I plug in the Hughes .

The SSP 30x protects the Hughes which boosts voltage which is then protected as that voltage enters the rv . The whole setup gets padlocked to the pedestal and it's kept inside a large Tote box.
http://www.adventurerv.net/hughes-autoformers-voltage-booster-amp-p-2779.html?gclid=CjwKCAjw54fdBRBb...

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
I've used an EMS made by Surge Guard (it's not just surge protection) for the last six years. They make external and hardwire versions that provide surge protection, high/low voltage protection which shuts down power if high or low voltage is detected with delay turn on when appropriate power is restored and warns regarding bad ground, reverse polarity. During that six year period its shutdown power twice due to low voltage and a number of times notified me of reverse polarity. The warns are given via a digital display on the unit and it provides a digital readout of line voltage and current draw.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
+1 for PI. Get the full protection model whatever you buy. The cheepo surge protection only is not really worth it IMO.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also like the P.I. units I have the Progressive Industries HW 30C hard wired one because of its remote display that you can put inside to monitor the voltage.

It has saved me twice and well worth the price.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO for (relatively) reasonable amounts of money the Progressive Engineering units are still the best. Get one that's an EMS and not just a surge suppressor.

I would also suggest doing some careful checking of all the electrical stuff in the trailer, both 12V and 120V. It would be a pretty rare sort of 120V surge that takes out only the (12V) thermostat and the (120V, relatively robust) air conditioner. If the converter isn't converting properly, for example, or the battery died, you might get the air conditioner not working for that reason alone.

Edit: That should be Progressive Industries, not Progressive Engineering (nor Progressive Development). Too many progressive companies, I guess.