cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slider is stuck, what now?

showme
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howdy, folks! It's been a while, but the wife and I are looking at a used 5th wheel to park on our just acquired land while we build our new house. I sold the old Holiday Rambler in '06 while down in New Mexico and haven't been on here in a long time (missed ya!), but now it's time to have fun in the 5'r once more. Here's my question for all you knowledgeable folk-
We've found a really nice and nicely kept 2000 Montana 3670RL who's only problem is that the living room slide (couch and dinette, door side) is stuck in the out position. When I looked at it today, I noticed the piston rod in the hydraulics cylinder was uncoupled from it's attaching point under the outer wall of the slide. I watched a couple of youtube videos last night on the subject, and I understand it's possible to manually crank these slide's in. The cables that run to each of the tracks are good, so the next step will be to unbutton the belly panel and try to get it cranked back in. I'm not sure if the PO undid the rod trying to fix the problem, or if it came loose on it's own (?), but I'm kind of wondering if there's a way to release the pressure on the hydraulics via the pump. I noticed today that it has a fitting for a handle to pump it by hand (on what I believe is the hydraulic pump, but that's just my guess as to what it really is.
Has anyone had any experience with this model getting stuck in the out position? I don't want to try to push the section back in unless I'm sure the piston rod is going to return to it's closed position. Also, if there is a hand crank bolt, will it be hindered by the hydraulics when I crank it in. Is there even a manual hand crank in this slide out since it has a hydraulic cylinder??
I'm sorry I don't have more information, but I didn't want to take my tool box and possibly fix the slide before I bought it for fear the seller might decide they didn't want to sell it if I fixed the problem before changing hands. I should have taken a picture while I was under the slide, but I was trying to decipher what I was looking at and didn't get one. Anyway, we really think this is a great deal, and I'm one of those guys who think mechanical problems are fun to fix, so I'm coming back to my roots here to ask the one's who know it all (Yes, you!) Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. I really believe that this has to be a relatively simple fix, or replacement of a simple part, and I can't tow it home with the living room poking out driving down the interstate to get it home. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated! Lee Butcher
10 REPLIES 10

showme
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, I got on here Saturday eve and posted that we had gone up, met the local rv mechanic and got the slides back in, although it was manually done by hand (and back)work. He told me he thinks the pump section is bad, since the motors humming and it actually does pull the piston in when it's not attached. The other two slides had to be pushed, too, although we could see the BR piston move in it's 'free space' between the nuts. The pump and system is Dewald, 3b or 4b, I believe. Single switch powers all three slides, and it has a cable system to keep it aligned. I've done some research and found the trouble shooting manual on how to check both the pump and the 3 cylinders. Anyway, we got it home, and have spent today cleaning and checking it out. So, per the slides, I'm going to try to find the pump seal kit and see if I can rebuild it, otherwise I'll buy a new one. In a day or so, I'm taking it out to our rv shop here in town and let them go over it and see what they can find. For sure it needs a bottom slide seal on the on that wasn't retracting, since there's no sign of any seal at all down there. (The opposing side slide needs one too, but just because it's got the crinkled spaghetti look to it). Also found that the PO's were total park campers, because the shurflo pump I found in the front utility compartment is toast, and when I checked under the kitchen cabinet where it's supposed to be, there was none there, along with the outside shower plumbing, and the pex line had been re-run to bypass the pump for use with city water. Ordered a pump and filter today, along with a new outside shower panel and replacement blinds for a few windows that are missing them. Then wash the beast. Then check the furnace and stove and hot water heater. But it sure did ride well on the long trip (2 hours) home! ๐Ÿ™‚

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly RV salvage places mght have a used pump. Once you get the model # off the pump, then can start calling around.

showme
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ok, DW and I took the drive back up to the 5th wheel, and bought a new battery just in case. First thing I did was try the pump switch, and it was humming (but no movement on the slides). Pulled the caps off the old battery, and I couldn't check the acid due to the water level being 1/4" below the plate tops, so I hooked up the new one. Still no movement. Went in and pulled up the bed boards and watched as my wife pushed the button. The small amount of play between the piston nuts that hold the cylinder rod to the structure showed it was moving in and out, but wouldn't move the slide. I then had her try it while watching the unattached cylinder rod on the dinette slide, and it moved in and out as she tried it. (We didn't hold the button for more than a few seconds either direction for fear of messing it up worse). So, the pump motor functions, the pump functions enough to see movement at the BR and LR pistons, but no movement whatsoever on the refer/ent. ctr slide.
I tried backing the pump "knurly knob" off 2 turns, per directions on the pump, and manually hand jacking the pump, but no luck there. I then took my silicone spray and hit all slide tracks, wire pulleys and all exterior seals, to no avail. I then rocked the bedroom slide up and down to see if it was stuck to the seals or something was jammed, had Verla hit the button while I did that, but no movement. We scratched our heads, put my tools back into the truck and headed home. I did call up the local rv repairman the park suggested, but didn't talk to him till this morning. And here's what he said-
He had been over there to do something for the lady that we bought it from earlier this summer, so he's familiar with the trailer. He also told me that he had come over and helped get the slides back in to move it out of the spot it was in to move over to the grassy area it's currently in (not an equipped parking spot, just off to the side of the circle). I told him that I was told that only one slide wouldn't close when I bought it, but none of the 3 would close for me. He said that he could confirm that 2 slides do work, but he and the park maintenance man had to give the BR a push to get it started due to it being out all summer, but the dinette slide wouldn't retract. I asked if he knew the piston on that one was disconnected (outer nut was off and the piston was about 6" from it's connection point). He said no, he wasn't aware of that, but it sounded to him like something Jess, the maintenance man, might do. But he hadn't looked at it.
Long story short, he believes the hydraulic pump is bad, even though I verified seeing the movement at the BR and loose LR cylinders. I asked if the pump has some sort of overload bypass valve, and he said he's never torn into one, since he usually just replaces them to get people on their way. I told him I've rebuilt a pump from a '65 Ford Galaxie convertible top, and thought I might be able to get a rebuild kit for this pump once we get it to the farm. He said that might be an option, because the rv pumps are about $1,100 new. But he told me if I would meet him up there on Saturday morning, he could get the slides back in so we could at least get it home and go from there.
So, this is where we stand. Right now I'm doing a search on the web trying to locate kits, videos and knowledge on the innards of rv pumps. Unfortunately, I didn't write down or take a pic of the brand pump, so I'm finding lots of pumps that don't look like mine. Oh, well, at least I know for sure that it's only one slide, and possibly not even that if I get the cylinder nutted back up. But it looks like either a new or rebuilt hydro pump. And definitely new slide seals, judging by the way a couple of them looked.

showme
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks, golf bears, and yes, laknox pegged it. Although there is a battery there with it, I didn't have any tools with me, but I plan on taking a fresh battery with me when I go back to get it/fix it. To be honest, my wife and I drove the 1 1/2 hours to check it out, and I was ready to do a little experimenting while I was there, but the park "helper" followed me around like a puppy making all kinds of suggestions to help (one of which was to use his Bobcat to push the slider back in...um, no, not on fiberglass, but thanks anyway). But I thought I'd try that first, then go the manual route and crank it in if I can. I once was worked at a truck repair shop and learned a little about rebuilding cylinders and working with hydraulics, and have torn apart a small hydraulic motor/pump for a convertible, so I'm curious as to what's under that panel. I'll absolutely report back when I find out more. But I want to wait till I've got my ducks in a row before I make that long drive to Illinois again.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
golf_bears wrote:
If the cylinder rod is not connected to the slide then why don't you try activating the cylinder to see if it moves in and out. Shouldn't damage anything just trying to determine if the cylinder works.

If you do try this let us know what happens and maybe we'll have more suggestions on how to fix the problem.

Showme needs to install a fresh battery before doing this, though. Even plugged in, a bad battery can not allow the pump to work.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
If the cylinder rod is not connected to the slide then why don't you try activating the cylinder to see if it moves in and out. Shouldn't damage anything just trying to determine if the cylinder works.

If you do try this let us know what happens and maybe we'll have more suggestions on how to fix the problem.

showme
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thank you, I will. I've searched the forums for slide out problems and a few posts brought this company up. That and another one I heard a few times. That's when I realized that there were probably only a few that this could be. I've watched a few videos that were pretty informative, but until I pull that panel off I can't see much. One post that I read either here or the Montana forum talked about the pump. If it can spin with a drill, the pumps not bad. If you jump the solenoid it might be that. Or the motor. I'm a retired Ironworker, and one of those people who just have to see it sometimes. Also read somewhere (probably here) that there's a trick to getting the Lippert motors synced, and the process of in and out till it clicks. But thanks, I will check this out.

amxpress
Explorer
Explorer
Donโ€™t know if this is your setup, or even if itโ€™s Lippert. If it is, check this out on Lippertโ€™s website:
Lippert hydraulic slides
2021 Toyota Tundra TRD Off Road double cab
2022 Airstream International 27FB
Blue Ox Sway Pro hitch
M.I.L is self quatanting in Jacksonville Zoo

showme
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just registered and haven't been "authorized" to post yet. But I trust this forum, and I figured there were only so many slide out systems available on rv's, so I'm hoping to find out here. Thanks.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
You might try over on the Montana Owners Club forum to see if any current owners or former owners of that model or similar model might have an answer.