cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

condition of roads in NC, SC due to Florence

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Friends are driving to Myrtle Beach this coming Sunday. Looking for information as to the best route to take in view of the flooding of I 95, I 40 and Rt 501. Anyone made the trip? Any suggestions on how to get up to date info on road conditions? Thanks.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
10 REPLIES 10

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
They have checked with the place they are staying and all is good there. One of them is driving in a 45' Class A and is very concerned about how to get there. He usually takes I 95 from their home north of Richmond, Va and then takes US 501 into MB. He has recently left the interstate at Exit 13 in NC (Lumberton area) to take US 74/76, then 410 then 701 to Rt 9 to Rt 31. He's seen some reports that all of those options are flooded. Any knowledge of this? Thanks.

I-74 from Lumberton to Rt 410 is closed and according to the local area it will remain closed till at least Oct, 10. This is the same route I take, and I am looking for alternatives.
Clicky - road conditions
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

wecamp04
Explorer
Explorer
I would take 81 down to 77 south

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quick glance at Google maps with traffic it looked like you need to approach MB from the south. I77 to Columbia, I76 to Charleston, and 17 up the coast is free of closures.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
2 Retired wrote:
They have checked with the place they are staying and all is good there. One of them is driving in a 45' Class A and is very concerned about how to get there. He usually takes I 95 from their home north of Richmond, Va and then takes US 501 into MB. He has recently left the interstate at Exit 13 in NC (Lumberton area) to take US 74/76, then 410 then 701 to Rt 9 to Rt 31. He's seen some reports that all of those options are flooded. Any knowledge of this? Thanks.

keep checking the nc dot website for closures

i live about 45 minutes west of i-95 and lumberton. still a flooded situation. fayetteville just north of lumberton on i-95 same thing, flooded.. bad part is so many roads close to i-95 are closed so detours are not effective right now thru these areas. from i-95 eastward to the coast not good. myrtle beach itself is not in bad shape. problem is getting there. may need to consider hitting i-85 south of richmond off i-95, south thru durham then find a way from there. day by day things will improve but its taking time. water from the nc mountains has to work its way down rivers thru the state to the coast.

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
SCDOT 511

NCDOT TIMS
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
2 Retired wrote:
Friends are driving to Myrtle Beach this coming Sunday.

I sure hope they have triple-checked confirmation of where they *think* theyโ€™re staying because with that many folks out of their homes sites, driveways, parking lots, heck, even side streets, will be at an uber premium. Likely for months to come......

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw someone that posted a site - it was SC DOT - a google search should find it. There was a map to use to check local road conditions.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I-40 is under water right now for miles between Raleigh and Wilmington. May not want to go that way.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
It would help if you stated where they are leaving from? I'm sure you would get much better answers that way
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle