cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spare tire carry at front bumper

PhilR
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd like to have a spare tire more accessible than the factory setup under the rear end of my Chevy 2500HD. The front of the truck looks like the obvious place to install a 2" receiver with a spare carrier.
My only concern would be obstructing the air flow into the grill. Anyone who has tried this approach....please share your experience and opinions. Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

F350_RR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a front hitch on the F350 and have used a tire mount for the OEM tires.
The new 19.5” steel wheels and truck tires are over the weight rating of the hitch so I need to design a new hitch / platform incorporating the D rings with the hitch receiver. This would enable a spare and a generator to be balanced securely. While using the front hitch for an OEM spare I did not see higher operating temps for the gas engine.
Doug

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Another suggestion, presuming you're concerned with accessing the spare with the camper on. Be cheaper and probably not take any longer to re-configure the hoist "handle" to a wheel well so you can lower the tire without removing the camper.
You are probably right , but you still have to crawl under the truck and camper to drag that beast out and put the flat back . No " only " answer just different approaches . I had no choice , cab/chassis has second fuel tank in spare location .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Another suggestion, presuming you're concerned with accessing the spare with the camper on. Be cheaper and probably not take any longer to re-configure the hoist "handle" to a wheel well so you can lower the tire without removing the camper.
You are probably right , but you still have to crawl under the truck and camper to drag that beast out and put the flat back . No " only " answer just different approaches .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What he said.
My last post was objective. Subjectively, it looks tacky unless you have more than an average need for spare tires which, if responsible driving and outfitting your vehicle, is almost never.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

and it avoids the goofy look of the front mounted tire. IMHO. Many of us buy vehicles by their looks. Then mayhem goes nuts.

Okay- let me have your wrath.

I have the same opinion of any RV with all kinds of stuff tied, bungeed, welded, zip tied, etc to the rear bumper and ladder. Beverly Hillbillies here we come.

Just my thoughts.

Carry on- nothing to see here. :W
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just for the record, older model fan clutches go out. If yours does, you'll immediately have a problem with anything up front, but be fine at speed with nothing up there.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 60" wide X 30" rack on the front of my horse, with the tray raised to be even with my tow hooks to clear big dips (ie. gas stations,road to road transitions) and stacked 18"-24" high @ times. On a 5 wk. trip through the N.West my temp. never rose more than 2-3 degrees.At the time I couldn't find a front hitch, so I took my plow receivers off and custom fabed a Z bar to get my height.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
Put one on my 2006 2500HD gasser before I went to Alaska in 2012. Still on for the 9K miles a year I have my camper on and no problems at all. Go for it! 🙂
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
About engine temperatures, for last generation the cluster gauges are so-called "dummies".
They are computer-controlled to show steady values, so consumers don't jump the gun observing temp or oil pressure variations.
The program keeps the needle steady till something extreme happens.
That might be why so many 6l Powerstrokes got replaced since with oil cooler, or EGR cooler clogs - the coolant gets boil over, when the gauge will not show the problem unless 1/2 of the coolant is already behind the truck.(ask me how I know?)
I was really pleased to notice that my 2017 F350 beside dummy gauge, has digital display that appears with accurate temperature once the engine goes over 185F (?)

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Have been using front tire mount for years on truck below , no change in engine or trans temps .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
wanderingbob wrote:
Bodiak makes front 2 inch receivers , I carry generator up front with no heating probs.

Bodiak doesn't seem to be in business any more.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bodiak makes front 2 inch receivers , I carry generator up front with no heating probs.

djg
Explorer
Explorer
Had one on my 2010 F-250 gaser never had any problems, truck never had heat up issues 2" receiver with a tire carrier, used my rear tire carrier for auto propane tank set up great fuel mileage but could only get propane easily in Ontario, Alberta and BC Dave
2015 Livnlite Camplite TC10
1995 Ford F-350 dually 7.3 Diesel