cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snowbirds in South Carolina

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are doing some preliminary research on becoming Snowbirds with our 5th Wheel starting the winter of 2019. Primarily we have been looking at Florida. I know in the Northern part of Florida, there might be a few nights where temperatures get cold enough that winterizing (at least emptying tanks and blowing out the lines) is necessary to prevent freezing but during my research I've been seeing a lot of advertising for RV Snowbird destinations in South Carolina. Doesn't SC get cold enough during the winter nights to make winterizing the camper a regular thing? I Don't mind doing it once in a while. It's easy enough to do, but who wants to do it all the time! I'm just curious if there's anyone here that winters in SC and what your experience has been with the cooler temperatures. Are you constantly Winterizing/Summerizing your RV? Thanks in advance!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
10 REPLIES 10

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your input. I think we'll stick to places a little further South.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
The number of times a year here in SC where freezing is a concern (midlands and towards the coast) is minimal. If you are comfortable living in it, most likely you wonโ€™t have any problems. As mentioned, from time to time you may want to disconnect the water hose and use your tank water. Lots of people use our state parks along the coast as a winter spot.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Salem Hemisphere 5th wheel. It has an enclosed heated underbelly but the dealer says that doesn't do much. It's not a true winter package type camper. So I treat it as if it's like any other regular camper and assume everything will freeze easily.

alfredmay
Explorer
Explorer
You do not state the kind of rig you have but if it has insulated and heated tanks you will be fine. You will need either a heated water hose or disconnect AND empty it during freezing weather.
Alfred May
2005 Excursion V10 4.30 4x4
2002 Cedar Creek 30RBS TT by Forest River
Reese Dual Cam
Tekonsha Prodigy

bobjogone
Explorer
Explorer
We camphosted at Buck Hall Campground on Francis Marion National Forest just north of Charleston, SC in winter 2013 - year of ice storms that broke limbs and trees and down to 20's at night for at least a week.

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
When you are living in the rig, there should be no reason to winterize as your furnace will keep everything above freezing as long as the temps don't drop to 0 or so. You may need to fill the fresh water tank and unhook the water line from the faucet occasionally but even that is infrequent.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
Many times, we headed to Hunting Island, SC for a weekend getaway during the winter and before Mother Nature took out much of the campground (hurricanes). We always found it to be pleasant (50s and above) during the day and cool enough for a good fire at night, in the high 30s and low 40s at night. It is about 30 miles from the GA border. It is by no means HOT during the winter like you will get in Florida, but for us that have sub-0 temps, it feels good.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Chrisatthebeach
Explorer
Explorer
When relocating I stayed just north of Savannah at Hardeeville RV for a year. The park is clean, has no frills. Was filled both winters with snowbirds. Rates were very reasonable, free cable and Wi-Fi and just minutes to Savannah. Most of the snowbirds that I met and talked to return every winter, less expensive than Florida. In this area close to the coast we rarely have freezing weather, snows about once every decade or so and is only around for a day. I never winterized during the time there, and rarely used the furnace either. As you go inland and north things do get colder.
Chris & Dianne
Jayco Designer 3110 SOLD 6-11-2016, looking for the next one.
F250 PSD 4x4 Crew Cab

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that WILL be a problem in SC.

IF you get as far south as Ocala or more, it should NOT be a problem.
It sometimes gets down to about 28 here but only for a few hours.
My RV is parked with water in the tanks and lines and no problems.

Some people still have their water pump and pressure tank out in the back yard......with no protection at all.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

fchammer1
Explorer
Explorer
If you want an enjoyable, mostly carefree winter, at least make it down to central Florida. Forget anywhere north of Lake Okeechobee. South of the big lake is better, but can be more expensive. Many posters here have offered campground possibilities on this site. Do a search.