cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ft Collins to Laramie WY

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Out of Ft. Collins I see a road by the name of 287. It diagonals to Laramie.
Or, I can take I-25 up to Cheyenne and then I-80 over to Laramie. 25 to 80 would probably be faster, but fast isn't what I'm looking for.

A Pretty scenic drive ranks better than fast. So tell me what you think. As always your suggestions are appreciated in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
What hasn't been mentioned yet is that there are very nice Forest Service campgrounds just West of U.S. 287, several with electric hookups. If you need a place to spend a night or two in fall during the leaf peeping season, just get off 287 at Ted's Place/CO 14 or Livermore/CR 74E and enjoy the scenery!

Once upon a time, U.S. 287 was the "National Parks Highway" that went from the Gulf of Mexico near Beaumont, TX to or through Rocky Mountain NP, Grand Teton NP, Yellowstone NP, and Glacier NP. We used it two days ago to return to Denver from Yellowstone via Lander and Rawlins, WY.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

mittshel
Explorer
Explorer
We always go that way. Anything to stay off 25. Betsy.
Betsy

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
JAC1982 wrote:
We do the drive to Laramie frequently (husband is a UW fan)

Go Pokes!

I just noticed that I'm wearing my UWYO shirt today and I always have my big yellow Cowboys tumbler on my desk at work.

I won't miss traveling to Laramie in the crazy winters to visit our kids at school, but I sure am grateful to the University for the incredible education.

My husband is from Rock Springs, and always regrets not going to UW. He went to a technical trade school in Denver instead, and it has served him well, but he is a diehard Pokes fan. The first ever game he took me to was in October and it was freezing rain/snowing the entire time, and I've also been tailgating when it's 0 degrees out, but these days once it's past September I usually stay away LOL! Keep trying to talk him into getting an RV tailgating spot, but talk about $$$.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dedmiston
JAC1982 wrote:
We do the drive to Laramie frequently (husband is a UW fan)

Go Pokes!

I just noticed that I'm wearing my UWYO shirt today and I always have my big yellow Cowboys tumbler on my desk at work.

I won't miss traveling to Laramie in the crazy winters to visit our kids at school, but I sure am grateful to the University for the incredible education.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
All of the above. We do the drive to Laramie frequently (husband is a UW fan), often with our rig as we stay at the Laramie KOA for games, and always take that route if possible. This summer we got to see a guy making a trek alongside the road with a wagon and a team of horses, that was cool.

We just went through there on the Friday before Labor Day (not towing, just in the car). The roundabout construction that Thom mentioned is indeed wrapping up, but it is still a bit of a mess. There's some detours you can take to avoid it. We've done Shields to Rd 56 then followed that back down again.

I also think downtown Ft Collins is a bit iffy when towing because the lanes are very narrow and there's cars parked on the side of the road, sometimes not that well. But that's avoidable too if you exit I-25 at Prospect and take it across to Shields and head North to meet up with 287 that way, or even keep going all the way to Overland, you'd avoid the construction that way too.

For the record, this way is often still faster than I-25 to I-80. And as mentioned, wayyy more scenic.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

dedmiston
It's a beautiful road and I think it's much safer in bad weather (which can be any time up there). I-80 from Laramie to Cheyenne goes over a high pass and it gets really hairy during a storm.

We got stuck in a blizzard in Laramie in May a few years ago after our daughter's graduation from UWYO. All the roads out of Laramie were closed and we thought we were going to miss our flight out of Denver. Luckily the 287 finally opened up and we could get through in our rental Class C and return the rental in time to catch our flight.

The Waffle House outside Ft. Collins is our landmark to turn west and catch the 287. Drop in if you have the time.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
287 is an easy road. I used to drive it all the time. The interstate between Cheyenne and Laramie goes over the Vedavoo Mtns, the Gangplank. It has long grades and major elevation gains.

I was driving from my office in Laramie to Cheyenne for a meeting at the Governor's Office for a proposed project. I was stopped by the Highway Patrol. I was in a company truck and wearing a suit. I told the guy my story and he said "Follow me." We went 95 mph with lights flashing. I was early to the meeting.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
teeznu wrote:
Or, I can take I-25 up to Cheyenne and then I-80 over to Laramie. 25 to 80 would probably be faster, but fast isn't what I'm looking for.

A Pretty scenic drive ranks better than fast. So tell me what you think. As always your suggestions are appreciated in advance.

US 287 between Fort Collins and Laramie is both faster and more scenic than I-25 to I-80.

Coming out of Fort Collins is a bit of a problem, as there is construction going on; a new roundabout is being built in place of a previous traffic light, where the Laporte Bypass intersects with County Rd 54G. Slow going getting through, but the good news is that they are in the winding down process. Most of the major construction is done and realigned. Just watch the signs and take it slow.

Once past that, it's a smooth drive all the way to Laramie. The Bypass has 3 lane segments as you get around Laporte. It's a steady, very gradual uphill past the intersection with CO 14. There's a long 2 lane section but it's straight and traffic moves along well. 3 lanes from Owl Canyon to the Red Feather Lakes turnoff, still going uphill.

From the Red Feather Road heading north, it's a lot of rolling countryside with beautiful views of the Rawahs and Never Summer Mountains to the west, as well as the northern part of RMNP to the SW. Lots of 3 lane sections for passing/being passed/climb lanes, it's still heading up hill, but still gradual. None of these uphills are bad, not unlike rolling hills in other parts of the country. When you get to Virginia Dale (historical site, nothing else there), you're not far from the state line. Goodly climb to the top of the Laramie Ridge, then a 4 lane section coming down into the Laramie Valley. Straight and flat from then on into Laramie.

Speed limit posted most of the way is 65, most folks are doing 70ish. Major truck route, but they don't slow you down. They are kicking it, to get back on I-80, and there's plenty of passing lanes. There's a rest area on the west side of US 287 near the state line; it's seasonal, usually closes sometime in September.

Enjoy your trip!

^^^^^^^^^^^ - I AGREE - ^^^^^^^^^^^^
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
teeznu wrote:

US 287 between Fort Collins and Laramie is both faster and more scenic than I-25 to I-80.

Coming out of Fort Collins is a bit of a problem, as there is construction going on; a new roundabout is being built in place of a previous traffic light, where the Laporte Bypass intersects with County Rd 54G. Slow going getting through, but the good news is that they are in the winding down process. Most of the major construction is done and realigned. Just watch the signs and take it slow.

Once past that, it's a smooth drive all the way to Laramie. The Bypass has 3 lane segments as you get around Laporte. It's a steady, very gradual uphill past the intersection with CO 14. There's a long 2 lane section but it's straight and traffic moves along well. 3 lanes from Owl Canyon to the Red Feather Lakes turnoff, still going uphill.

From the Red Feather Road heading north, it's a lot of rolling countryside with beautiful views of the Rawahs and Never Summer Mountains to the west, as well as the northern part of RMNP to the SW. Lots of 3 lane sections for passing/being passed/climb lanes, it's still heading up hill, but still gradual. None of these uphills are bad, not unlike rolling hills in other parts of the country. When you get to Virginia Dale (historical site, nothing else there), you're not far from the state line. Goodly climb to the top of the Laramie Ridge, then a 4 lane section coming down into the Laramie Valley. Straight and flat from then on into Laramie.

Speed limit posted most of the way is 65, most folks are doing 70ish. Major truck route, but they don't slow you down. They are kicking it, to get back on I-80, and there's plenty of passing lanes. There's a rest area on the west side of US 287 near the state line; it's seasonal, usually closes sometime in September.

Enjoy your trip!
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.