cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with auxiliary fuel tank decision or replacement.

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to decide between a 50 gallon Titan replacement tank or a 28 gallon auxiliary tank added to my bed.

My thinking is the Titan is probably best except for one thing, I put very little use or miles on the truck for 8-9 months of the year and I am worried that 50 gallons of fuel could go bad in that kind of time frame.

I always keep my tank full or as close to full as possible inorder to prevent condensation in the tank, and 50 gallons will sit in the tank for months with the occasional top off.

If I went with the auxiliary tank I am thinking I could leave it dry for the idle time and only fill when I am traveling for the 2-3 months pulling our 5ver.

I have a 2016 F350 with a Reflex roll up bed cover so the auxiliary tank will be small and in front of the hitch, but below the bed cover. I have priced both and the cost installed the way I want is pretty close with either tank.

So I am looking for some advice from those who may be more knowledgable or experienced and would appreciate any comments on my decision. Thanks for your thoughts.

Keith
29 REPLIES 29

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I like my fuel range with the 50 gallon Titan tank for yet another reason. I live in PA where the fuel taxes are the highest in the nation, so for two years now, I have bought exactly one half tank of fuel within the state. My last camping trip is an example, I took two 5 gallon cans along and went the entire week without giving the greedy governor a dime. After returning home, I travel a bit farther to a station out of PA to fill up the truck and any empty gas or diesel cans. While out of state, I also buy groceries other items.

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 60 gallon RDS tank with to box, it gives me more than 12 hours of drive time with the trailer. So plenty of time to find a campground, go do our touring, then find up before fueling and hooking up and moving on. I consider it a convenience that I can choose when to stop on my terms and not when forced to by necessity.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Peggy bought mine for Christmas and it was a couple years before I installed it. I finally did because the last trip I was off on the two lane roads a lot and got tired of trying to find fuel stations that I could get into and out of easily. A fair amount of wasted time finding a station and then discovering I couldn't get to the diesel pumps without a lot of jacking around. Immediately after installation the stress level dropped a bunch.

However now we only travel 250-350 miles in a day and could probably get by without the tank, but when we were doing 400-500 miles a day it was a godsend.

same for us. Never look for a cheaper price just easy in and out.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Peggy bought mine for Christmas and it was a couple years before I installed it. I finally did because the last trip I was off on the two lane roads a lot and got tired of trying to find fuel stations that I could get into and out of easily. A fair amount of wasted time finding a station and then discovering I couldn't get to the diesel pumps without a lot of jacking around. Immediately after installation the stress level dropped a bunch.

However now we only travel 250-350 miles in a day and could probably get by without the tank, but when we were doing 400-500 miles a day it was a godsend.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kevinwa wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I personally don’t care to extend my range. 250 miles or so we stop for fuel along with other reasons. Just carry the 5 as a backup.

Exactly, you and I were after two different things, I wanted extended range between fills, you wanted emergency fuel. Hope I didn’t offend, I just was pointing out the difference.

No offense taken!

I think everyone should try without an auxaliry tank to see if they really want one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I personally don’t care to extend my range. 250 miles or so we stop for fuel along with other reasons. Just carry the 5 as a backup.

Exactly, you and I were after two different things, I wanted extended range between fills, you wanted emergency fuel. Hope I didn’t offend, I just was pointing out the difference.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Titan installed in my 2016 F350 early this spring. Love it and glad I went that route instead of the in bed. Only one tank to fill. No thoughts, just fill. I have Almost tripled the towing range of the F350 with this as I typically refuel when I have 20-30 litres remaining. So now I have 170 litres of useable fuel before fill and before I had 70!

Best addition to my truck ever.

And the 5 gallon jerry can that was suggested earlier doesn’t even compare. You aren’t extending your range with that, just carrying some emergency fuel. Not the same thing.

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
I had an RDS 30 gallon aux tank installed on my F250 earlier this year. I love the flexibility the extra fuel gives me in planning my fuel stops. One thing I discovered about my truck however is the fact that it seems to have a vent on the top of the internal tank. I discovered that the hard way when I left the manual valve open. What a mess. I installed a solenoid valve in the fill line and wired it to one of the upfitter switches in the cab. Now when the gauge gets down around 3/4 of a tank I'll turn the valve solenoid on and watch the level slowly rise while I'm driving without risk of overflowing the internal tank. If I forget to turn it off when I cut the engine no worry of overflow since the circuit is only hot when the ignition is in the on position.
For me the aux tank was the cheaper option even though I had the aux tank installed professionally.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You got it backwards. Condensation is pretty much a myth with plastic tanks, but is a concern with a metallic slip tank. Besides, just run em down low and fill when running the truck again.
I've never subscribed to the full tank for storage theory and I shelf many engines every year off season. Fresh fuel (especially if talking gas, not so much for diesel) trumps the potential of moisture IMO, in most cases.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Keithk3628
Explorer
Explorer
JTrac wrote:
I had a Titan replacement tank on my last 2 trucks. They work very well and by far are the most convenient. What I hated was I don't think I got anything for them when I traded trucks, in fact, I'm sure I didn't. So, money lost. When I got the new Ford last year someone on this forum, or maybe another one, not sure, suggested the Enduraplas 25 gallon transfer tank. It is easily removeable, as long as it is empty, which means if and when I get another truck it goes with me. I've used it several times this summer and it worked like a champ. The fill nozzle has an auto shut off which I tested and can confirm it works. It will empty the 25 gallons in less than 4 minutes.

Just another suggestion.

Appreciate your thoughts, and I am thinking of the aux for the same reason of new truck later, my problem is I have to keep the size really small cause I only have 8 inch's under the Reflex roll up cover box in the front, and the drain tubes coming from it only gives me 48 inch's width and 20 inch's of room before the slider hitch.

So I think I am tied to the RDS 20 gallon If I do it myself or the local truck shop will custom order one which adds about 8 more gallons for a total of 28. But of course the price for them to order and install doubles so that is a consideration.

Really appreciate everyones thoughts, really helps with the solution.

Keith

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I had a Titan replacement tank on my last 2 trucks. They work very well and by far are the most convenient. What I hated was I don't think I got anything for them when I traded trucks, in fact, I'm sure I didn't. So, money lost. When I got the new Ford last year someone on this forum, or maybe another one, not sure, suggested the Enduraplas 25 gallon transfer tank. It is easily removeable, as long as it is empty, which means if and when I get another truck it goes with me. I've used it several times this summer and it worked like a champ. The fill nozzle has an auto shut off which I tested and can confirm it works. It will empty the 25 gallons in less than 4 minutes.

Just another suggestion.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Vent plugs

I use these. They work great.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
BarryG20 wrote:
For me personally I would and am going the Titan midship replacement route. One I dont want to lose the bed space even though I have a long bed. My truck gets used for other reasons besides towing our fifth wheel. Nor do I want to mess with the additional plumbing etc that goes on with an in bad tank. Nor mess with filling an additional tank. I know the last two reasons are really not that important. I remember I had a 1974 Chevy that came with saddle tanks with a valve right next to the seat that I could just flip anytime I needed or wanted well as long as there was fuel in the other tank. I am guessing the DOT had something to say about those old saddle tanks that sat outside the frame rails back then. I don't remember seeing them as an option not too long after that year.

Those saddle tanks ran from 1973 until 1987. They went away with the 1988 redesign.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1