cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachmen Motor Home Warranty issue

Lewii
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2018 Coachmen Pursuit 29ss in February, 2018. We have taken two short trips, both of which ended with our having to take it in for warranty work. The last trip, a long weekend to a campground not far away, we were almost stranded when the slide out got stuck 1/2 in and 1/2 out. I finally was able to get it to slide in and upon returning home called the dealer to get an appointment to take it in. The appointment was set for 2 weeks later. As of this date, it is past 2 months since we took it in. It is still not repaired and the dealer will not hazard a guess when it will be. The issue seems to be a parts availability problem, although I suspect more at work here. I won't go too far into that, let's just say I don't have any faith in the dealer's ability to correctly diagnose the problem. They originally said it was the control module, replaced that and still didn't work.
I have called Forest River direct and have not gotten a straight answer as to if and when the needed part (now they say a wiring harness) will be available.
My question is, since we are nearing the point where the coach has been at the dealer more time than it has been in my possession, should I expect Coachmen to extend the warranty period?
I realize the only people who can answer that is Coachmen, I just wanted to hear thoughts on whether I have a chance of getting this granted.
2012 Keystone Laredo
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L Hemi
9 REPLIES 9

ForestRiverInc
Explorer
Explorer
Lewii, Please accept our sincerest apologies for the issues and any inconveniences as a result of your concerns with your Pursuit. If this issue is unresolved, please contact Tim Buss in our service department by visiting this personalized link: http://www.coachmenrv.com/DirectServiceContact.aspx?ID=636740728063597741.

In order to resolve your concerns as quickly as possible, please use this link to outline your concerns and Tim Buss will respond within 24 hours.

Thank you, Forest River

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
I have used Mag-Moss and did tons of research about lemon laws. The Feds actually place the box of a motorhome under Hud. No lemon law covers the box. Mag-Moss states that a product must be able to be used for the purpose sold, it doesn't exclude rv's. This is the voice of experience attempting to help a fellow rver. Yes it is a long process and the manufacturer will break the law trying to repair the coach. There are inspections to take the coach to and hoops to jump through but it works. Took me almost a year for a settlement.
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Tntman wrote:
What you can do is use the Federal Manuson-Moss Consumer Protection Act. Basically it states if a product is out of service 30 working days, the manufacturer must buy it back. Attorney on a contingency basis can solve your problem with one letter and get paid by the manufacturer. There is NO lemon law on the house portion just the chassis. I doubt the Texas attorney general will be able to help. Document everything involved with the coach and keep a complete timeline of .

The act makes no such statement pertaining to motor vehicles. Several state Lemon Laws do incorporate that provision as a potential. In 40 years as a new car dealer I never saw even one vehicle case litigated using Magnussen-Moss. Many lemon law cases though.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tntman wrote:
What you can do is use the Federal Manuson-Moss Consumer Protection Act. Basically it states if a product is out of service 30 working days, the manufacturer must buy it back. Attorney on a contingency basis can solve your problem with one letter and get paid by the manufacturer. There is NO lemon law on the house portion just the chassis. I doubt the Texas attorney general will be able to help. Document everything involved with the coach and keep a complete timeline of .

Finding someone to take on a company the size of Forest River on the cuff? Good luck. They know exactly where they stand, have been in this situation more than once, and have an in house legal department larger than most law firms. They do not "buy back" many RVs, be they motorized or towable. They will have you return it to the factory on their dime for a repair before they'll buy one back, but once a letter is sent that's it. Any hope of resolution through Coachmens normal support ends once its turned over to the legal dept. The OP had better have deep pockets. Its not a decision to be made without a lot of thought.

Getting the warranty extended is a hit and miss proposition with Forest River as is their warranty support in general. They are very inconsistent. It depends on which way the wind is blowing. Usually the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

OP...forget the phone calls. Start hammering these people with emails but be civil about it. It may take some time. These are the warranty reps for Coachmens class A division. At least they were as far as the last website update or brochure printing. They change personel faster than most people change their gutchies.

Stephanie Wambaugh
SWambaugh@forestriver.com

Tim Buss
TBuss@forestriver.com
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Tntman
Explorer
Explorer
ALL WHO WANDER ARE NOT LOST,
Mike, Jill and our dog Goshe
Our Booger dog is with us in a custom urn, miss ya Boogs
2003 Tiffin Phaeton, Roadmaster tow products, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
Good Sam, SKP, FMCA F292654

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 get off the couch and get busy. they are not worried about you.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The OP needs to get hold of Coachmen direct and make a list of when and who he talks too at Coachmen and also times and dates and who he has talked too at his dealer. Texas has a very good Lemon Law and letting them know you may file will usually get the Legal Eagles at the OEM involved very quick. Doug

PS, Yes you should be able to get your warranty extended for the time that it has been at the dealer. Usually they go in 3 month increments.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Matt_Colie wrote:
I do not know about Texas....
But, look up the state's attorney general. Many states have laws that say that if something is sold with a one year warranty, that means that the buyer gets at least a year's worth of problem free use. So, if you brought it into or informed a dealer or seller's agent that there was an issue, your problem free use time is on hold until the referenced situation is corrected.

Do I have to tell you why this happened?
Yes, there have been dealers that were slimy enough to hold on to a defective item until the warranty expired and then told the buyer that it was out of warranty he he now owed then gonzo dollars for making it the way it should have been.

Matt (Who did warranty for both OE and aftermarket products)

Nonsense. The warranty is on your RV from the DATE, YOU took it to the dealer. So, if any dealer(I have never heard of this in the RV industry) held the unit till out of the original 1 year start date, it would make no difference. The Unit will be tagged from the date the unit was written up by the Dealer Service center. Besides, 1 call to the OEM, will get them to get you to another dealer if a dealer attempted to do something like that. Doug

PS, in 40 years and still in RV Service, I have NEVER heard of a 1 full year of problem free use as a law.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I do not know about Texas....
But, look up the state's attorney general. Many states have laws that say that if something is sold with a one year warranty, that means that the buyer gets at least a year's worth of problem free use. So, if you brought it into or informed a dealer or seller's agent that there was an issue, your problem free use time is on hold until the referenced situation is corrected.

Do I have to tell you why this happened?
Yes, there have been dealers that were slimy enough to hold on to a defective item until the warranty expired and then told the buyer that it was out of warranty he he now owed then gonzo dollars for making it the way it should have been.

Matt (Who did warranty for both OE and aftermarket products)
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.