cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Do You Keep The Waste Compartment Pipe From Freezing?

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you who are year-rounders or camp or transit in cold weather, how do you keep the waist discharge compartment piping from freezing? My compartment does not seem to be heated, is yours? If not, what do you do to keep.the waste in the pipes from freezing?
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.
10 REPLIES 10

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
You can also use a TC30 plug and a 200 what space heater.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
100w light bulb in a clamp-on work light. One in each compartment.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
These work real well and do not put out light. I used a 4/O box and keyless fixture with a cord mounted in 3 compartments where water pipes and the sewer are most exposed.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I added a 120 volt outlet and use a thermostatically controlled heater.

Don't forget to protect the fridge as well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
F4, if you have a basement with the tanks in it, it probably has a duct from the furnace for heat. We have boon docked in the winter, while snowmobiling, with the MH. The temperature in the basement remained in the mid 40s, even at night. We found that heat seemed to migrate to the basement without any motive force. Your mmv.
Wildmanbaker

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a thermostatically controlled heat tape and wrapped it around the waste valves. My waste compartment is separate from the water compartment so in the water compartment I put a small forced air heater.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok my wet bay (Both fresh and waste) is heated by the furnace which I don't use

So I have a string of C-9 Christmas Tree Lights. 30 lights each 9 watts (these are the old outdoor lights look like the more common C7 (Night light size) but bigger) note DO NOT go to 15 watt lamps they will melt plastic the C9s do not.

I have a 100 watt rough service lamp on the end of the string in the waste compartment this is caged. I have a 150 watt "World's smallest space heater" if it gets real cold.. at 11 degrees (Outside) the cold water pipe froze.. Middle of the run (Pex does not mind that) next AM when it got up to about 22 it thawed and I could flush the toilet normally again. hot did nto freeze.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

F4Jock
Explorer
Explorer
Great idea! Thanks!
Patti, Jack, our GSD Gunner the Wonder Dog and our multtude of cats.
1998 National Tropi-Cal on a 1997 Ford F53 chassis with 460 Ford power.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have stayed in below zero temps and we just put a thermostatically controlled INCANDESCENT 100 watt trouble light in the wet compartment. The trouble light is what was used in garages and provides a place to install a bulb that has a wire cage around it for protection. This 100 watt bulb provides enough heat to keep all of the water lines, our water pump, and our drain connection from freezing. We usually keep the fresh water tank topped off and only hook up once a week or so to empty the waste tanks. Since the water hose is only hooked up to top off our fresh water tank, we don't have to be concerned about it freezing.
Thermostat outlet plug for light