cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please edit your quotes before posting!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This information is for everybody on here who likes to quote other members when making a post.

Please learn how to edit your quote to take out all the unnecessary information that came before the portion you wish to quote. It is quite rude and irritating to make quote of a quote of a quote of a quote etc. and expect the members and me to scroll down the page to get past all the stuff we have already read.

All that is necessary is to highlight all the print that does not apply and hit the delete key. Do this before you make the post.

I have to spend considerable time editing posts that should not need editing just because the poster does not know how or is too lazy to do the job right. NO LONGER! From here on in, I will delete any post that has too many quotes in it. I am tired of spending half my time editing posts to make them readable. Too many means those posts that have come before, and are not needed to make the reply seem understandable. Use your common sense and you will know how to do it right.

Thank you for your cooperation.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
30 REPLIES 30

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Thats a (very good) feature on other websites rv and non rv).
IMO a good example of Barneys point is someone posted several pictures in a reply or a OP....then some has to click on "quote" with the same bunch of pictures. No need to post the same dozen pictures again and again and ...... especially if their not sized to the page.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Most other forums I frequent just omit all but the current comment being quoted. Is that not possible?

Also, speaking of quotes.... one that has always just driven me NUTS is when the first response to a new post quotes the post. What is the point? Obviously, you are responding to what was written in the first post.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Barney. Probably the most ridiculous extreme is when someone quotes an exceptionally long post, and their reply 'x2'. It does get irritating.

Good on ya Barney.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Barney is entirely correct... quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes within quotes is entirely unnecessary, difficult to read, difficult to keep track of who has said what when, etc.

It also is not necessary to quote if you are referring to the post directly above yours. That is just like talking to someone in person and repeating everything they said before replying.

Just use the KISS principle.... Keep It Simple Sam. 🙂 Proper etiquette does not stop at the forum's door. 🙂

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck with your endeavor . I do have to say, you are the quickest trigger on this forum for shutting down a thread or deleting a post.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Barney - (IIRC) the late Moderator Sir Francis Drake "took issue" with the same issue many years ago.

He eventually relented in/on his quest to do the same.

Good luck..:W

~

I knew Sir Francis Drake and he was a tough cookie. However, I am probably even more so. I will not relent, just delete! :B

jerem0621, I understand.:)
Barney
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Barney - (IIRC) the late Moderator Sir Francis Drake "took issue" with the same issue many years ago.

He eventually relented in/on his quest to do the same.

Good luck..:W

~

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really difficult on mobile but I will try to comply.

Thanks for the heads up.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Folks,
Please understand that I realize that sometimes it is necessary to include two or more quotes to make your reply make sense. That is not what I am objecting to.

All I am asking is that, when quoting a person, you take out all the unnecessary quotes so that we don't have to re-read all the stuff that came before. Simple as that. 🙂
Barney
Not towing now.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Barney is my favorite Moderator to be "Modified" by. 🙂
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Good point Barney! Some other forums I frequent have some who will quote a post in its entirety and not even reply but just put a thumbs up or something else. It’s especially annoying when the quote includes lots of large pictures. If you’re sitting at home with fast internet and a large monitor it’s not too bad but if you’re trying to get answers to a problem using your phone or tablet on the road it is definitely a problem.

And please read what you're posting. Some posts are unintelligible and make no sense whatsoever.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
3 dog nights wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
This information is for everybody on here who likes to quote other members when making a post.

Please learn how to edit your quote to take out all the unnecessary information that came before the portion you wish to quote. It is quite rude and irritating to make quote of a quote of a quote of a quote etc. and expect the members and me to scroll down the page to get past all the stuff we have already read.

All that is necessary is to highlight all the print that does not apply and hit the delete key. Do this before you make the post.

I have to spend considerable time editing posts that should not need editing just because the poster does not know how or is too lazy to do the job right. NO LONGER! From here on in, I will delete any post that has too many quotes in it. I am tired of spending half my time editing posts to make them readable. Too many means those posts that have come before, and are not needed to make the reply seem understandable. Use your common sense and you will know how to do it right.

Thank you for your cooperation.:)
Barney

Well said ! Point taken!

(you new someone would do it)

Your post is a good example of a perfectly good reason for including a quote. It is on a new page and also is a long way from the post you are replying to. In addition, you only quoted me and not any possible others who also quoted me.
Barney

Barney, in this post, you double quoted. Kinda funny. DELETE DELETE DELETE

FWIW, I always try to condense quotes down to just what I'm directly responding to (when applicable). However, its far more difficult to do it on a mobile device due to the lack of mobile formatting of the website. If RV.net would get with the times and make their website "mobile friendly", this would be less of an issue. Most popular forums already do this.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

lostbytes
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, what's really needed is for this forum software tweaked to the point that it will not publish the reply till the recent quote is used and not the 5+ before quotes before that. However, cost money to tweak it tho.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
There's bigger problems on RV.net than over quoting - some apparently obvious in this thread. But thanks to Barney for trying where he is able to.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS