cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Please edit your quotes!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
This information is for everybody on here who likes to quote other members when making a post.

Please learn how to edit your quote to take out all the unnecessary information that came before the portion you wish to quote. It is quite rude and irritating to make quote of a quote of a quote of a quote etc. and expect the members and me to scroll down the page to get past all the stuff we have already read.

All that is necessary is to highlight all the print that does not apply and hit the delete key. Do this before you make the post.

I have to spend considerable time editing posts that should not need editing just because the poster does not know how or is too lazy to do the job right. NO LONGER! From here on in, I will delete any post that has too many quotes in it. I am tired of spending half my time editing posts to make them readable. Too many means those posts that have come before, and are not needed to make the reply seem understandable. Use your common sense and you will know how to do it right.

Thank you for your cooperation.:)
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine
33 REPLIES 33

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many of us have very slow internet , as in cell phone . Some quotes will take several minutes to load out her in the Appalach Forest . The last time that I brought this up several posters said it was my fault and all that I had to do was throw money at the problem , nobody offered to pay for my signal amplifier . So I guess I will suffer or else maybe not buy milk for my twelve children for a week or two !

camperdave
Explorer
Explorer
Unnecessarily quoting an entire post is sort of the equivalent of Grandma accidentally hitting reply all on a group email. Annoying, but not really that big a deal.

Back in the listserv days with digest emails it was much more relevant.
2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
What's also annoying is when some people post a quote that includes an OP's long list of photos and you have to scroll waaay down to find that all somebody said was "I agree" or "nice work" or similar. Pfffft...

The real problem is that this entire forum is decades out of date and needs a major overhaul.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If storage was an issue this forum would not be hosting a topic like "Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?" that's at nearly 300 pages and is the authors personal blog with lots of pictures and lots of bits and bytes. Come on, get real!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Barney, for what it is worth, your last post said it better.

ALL

There are issues with long, unnecessary, convoluted quoting. Three that come to mind right away.
1. Ease of reading. I know of no one who likes to wade through long, redundant posts. Especially when it can be prevented.
2. Storage costs money. While it may seem small, everything, on this vast forum, comes at a cost. There may come a day when this wonderful service will come at a cost to us.
3. Indexing. The administrators may run a cycle to index or maybe there is constant appending to a search. Either means time. the more frivolous data, the more time it takes to search and then for individuals to wade through. If there is no inidexing and a raw search, then the less words to search through, the better and faster the results.

Sounds to me like Barney was helping us.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
I think this is what he's talking about.

I don't see anything wrong with the post you link to! I clearly see the response is the wording at the bottom which I read first and if I am not sure what it refers to I can read as many of the above quotes as necessary for clarification. Looks like a reasonable post to me.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
๐Ÿ˜‰

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
On the other hand, it helps to know how to quote so we know you didn't write that. ๐Ÿ™‚
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Please understand that I am not advocating removing the ability to quote a person or even that sometimes it is not necessary to include two or more quotes to make your reply make sense. That is not what I am objecting to.

All I am asking is that, when quoting a person, you take out all the unnecessary quotes so that we don't have to re-read all the stuff that came before. Simple as that. ๐Ÿ™‚

Stated much better Barney. Folks would be more receptive than argumentative in this form.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is what he's talking about.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like to imagine myself pretty tech savvy and I have often times had a difficult time trying to figure out which part of what quote needs to be cut so that the right person and right parts get quoted. Since it's easy enough to skip down to the response I rarely clip the quote as it ensures that the right part will be just above my reply. We aren't wasting a lot of paper here so unless the servers are overloaded by the volume of letters in a post I am not sure that I understand the concern.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Folks,
Please understand that I am not advocating removing the ability to quote a person or even that sometimes it is not necessary to include two or more quotes to make your reply make sense. That is not what I am objecting to.

All I am asking is that, when quoting a person, you take out all the unnecessary quotes so that we don't have to re-read all the stuff that came before. Simple as that. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS, thank you for being a moderator. As we are all GUESTS, we need to follow the rules of the forum. I suggest that those cry babies that want to write their own rules be eliminated so they can start their own forum, with their own rules. Again thanks for a RV forum that we can all learn from.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

camperkilgore
Explorer
Explorer
Moderators......maybe you could just get the quote option removed from Rv.net.
Tom & Carol