cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to hurry

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sometimes one has to hurry, rather than doing it "properly"!

DW & I have to drive from Georgia to Washington state in December. The kicker is no RV, camping, or time for (extended) fun. Neither are we as young as when we did those all night crazy road trips...

So I'm looking for tips, beyond not driving as long as possible.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide
25 REPLIES 25

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Start early in the morning, and keep your stops short. Also be aware of your fuel, there may not be services or many miles. Your looking at 700/800 mile days. Of course keep an eye on the weather. Even with the Subaru winter weather wont be fun or fast.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
Change cars? Fly instead?? Ha!

Seriously, the fine details of logistics for this kind of thing are far too complex and personal to go into on a forum like this. I intentionally limited the details to keep the conversation on topic. Driving long distances is something most of us do and the suggestions can also help others later.

Timing and such are still very much up in the air. We are trying to figure out how much time and pain we are willing to take and what bits of fun we can squeeze in to compensate. That's why I'm asking for input! Right now things are flexible so I can take advantage of new ideas.

I've started route planning on www.furkot.com (heard about it here,) because it lets you set drive time and/or mileage limits. Lots of 'what if' opportunities! Shortest route looks best unless storms brew up. Weather can foul any plans!
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
I will also add to get yourself some good audio books that you will both enjoy. I've done a lot of long solo road trips and a good audio book really helps the time pass. The Audible App through Amazon is very easy to use, and you can sign up with a membership to get I think 2 free books. Just cancel the membership after the month is up so you aren't charged again.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, I'd forgo the Subaru and rent a GM Suburban 4x4. Yes it will suck more gas, but you'll be a lot more comfy, tow the U-haul trailer and as pointed out you may encounter snow and chains may be required. The Subaru while it is a 4wd and get better mpg's, won't tow a trailer w/o a lot of sway (IMO) and really work the lil boxer engine. As long as the 2 of you are ok w/ it, I agree w/ others about 2-3 on, 2-3 off. Try to avoid major cities during rush hour. Watch the weather and have fun.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Atlanta to Spokane is about 2500 miles as per google maps. Thats up to I-90 and across. Snow country. If you divert to I-20 to I-5 then it's 3400 miles, roughly.

700 mile days gives you 3 1/2 days going north and 5 days going south. You should add in I-5 roadbed condition which I hear is something that most third world countries would be ashamed of. That could slow you down more.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
Even though we may pay 5-15 cents more per gallon, we prefer to stop at truck stops to get fuel, potty, and food/snacks. I hate one hole bathrooms and two pump gas stations. The wife and I (68) do stop every 2 hours to stretch but generally for only 5 minutes not 10, unless it is also a fuel/pee stop. Going via CA adds about 800 miles to your drive or another 12+ hours of driving even at freeway speed.

On the first day I do not mind 14-16 hour drive days but then I like a 10 hour next day with a good meal and restful nights sleep. We bring our own pillows just to help ensure the restful sleep. I will also use a sleep aid if I am having trouble winding down from the days drive. Then I will be ready for another 14-16 hours.
Turret Class traveler

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
No way around it. It's a lot of time sitting in a car. If you have limited days, it means long hours each day.

Yeah, snacks and drinks along with switching off but it's just a lot of time in the car.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
If you run into snow you'll need chains. Personally, in December I'd stay as far south as you can (I-10) to California then I-5 north. I-40 gets some pretty serious snow storms.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
No Uhaul, 2 drivers.

I am very familiar with winter driving, including northern tier and mountain weather. Such warnings and backup plans are well understood.
Rick,

PullRite Superglide

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
RickLIght wrote:
* We will be in a Subaru wagon helping my daughter move.

* I know we will be driving long hours. My question is more about how to do so, as safely and comfortably as possible.

agesilaus wrote:
We did it by being on the road at 7 AM at the latest, minimizing stops, no long lunch breaks, and driving until 8 PM. You gain an hour driving west for each time zone so we were on the road 14 hours a day. Eat in the car.

I hear your plan, 3 days of pain and a week of healing. That sounds like what I'm trying to avoid.

Trip planning tips are great but not my major focus. I figure interstates are the smart move, that is what they were designed for.

• "A" to "B" trips just stay on the I's

Avoid big towns at rush hour - this requires you to plan a little

Figure what your times are - How long you will go - How often you will stop - where you will fuel up

Not going to haul much in the Wagon -

Carry snacks - water.

If you get tired STOP - sometimes a little exercise/walking/stretching will get you back on track other time you just need to STOP.

Hook up your Phone to WAZE - Great map - lot's of info as you drive - I use an Earpiece with it and it really Helps.

Light Meals so as to not need a nap.

Paper Map/Atlas

Good Co-Pilot.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
Take a cooler, with drinks and protein snacks and carb snacks mixed. Stock up before you leave, it will save a ton of $$$.

Take whatever your choice of caffeinated beverage is, in the cooler or a thermos.

Get one decent meal a day, at least.

If you can figure out a way to do it, put a potty of some kind in the vehicle. That way you can plan your stops to beat traffic and stretch, not just to pee.

Switch off drivers at every stop, preferably every 2 hours. Take a 10 minute break to stretch your legs.

Wear compression stockings (if you can get them) and/or do heel/toe pumps to prevent leg swelling issues and even worse reduce the possibility of DVT.

Plan your timing as much as possible to avoid rush hours through cities. Leave very early or drive later as needed.

Each person drive at his/her best time of day--morning or night, whatever. Nap in the middle of the day if it helps.

Have both parties paying attention through cities, the passenger does most of the navigating and the driver can focus on driving.

Get the Waze app. Use it and Google Drive to check traffic.

Find the state DOT web sites and check for construction and expected delays ahead of time. Plan your route to avoid major lane closures, or hit them at low traffic times.

Use GasBuddy for availability and pricing. Stick with large facilities for fast in/out.

And most of all, STAY SAFE!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

moonstone
Explorer
Explorer
If you have more drivers than vehicles it is always nice to switch drivers every few hours. Hubby is a relaxed driver & loves driving so our non-camping road trips are always a marathon. When we drive to our condo in Florida (from north of Toronto) we do the 20hrs of drive time in a day and a half. We like to start early (4-5am) and stop around 9pm on the first day, or later if we are not near any decent accomodations. We do as hubby calls them 'all-in-one-stops', that is gas-eat-pee, now that we dont have children travelling with us.

I pack a small(ish) cooler with cans of pop/soda with caffeine, a couple of frozen water bottles and some snacks. I try to avoid sugary snacks as they will cause a blood sugar spike followed by a crash & sleepiness. As someone mentioned vegies, with or without dip, are good, as is cheese & slices of Kolbassa with crackers and some nuts. If it's a multi-day road trip I pack some freezer ziploc bags to fill with ice for the cooler for subsequent days.

A few years ago we were in Florida and our son phoned to ask if we could drive home to his place(near Toronto), pick-up his truck & work trailer and then drive it to Calgary (a 3350 mile trip) ASAP! We left FL early the next morning, stopped at his house to get his truck, then at our house to drop off our car, unpack & repack and hit the road again. Talk about a numb bum! Thank goodness we didnt have to drive home again -his company flew us home.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walaby wrote:
So, if helping your daughter move, are there two cars or all driving in one?

Does that mean you have three drivers? Would certainly make it easier.

Mike

And will there be any U-Haul trailers or such
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Oh my, I feel your pain. A friend an I had to do a run from east TN to SLC Utah. We did it with one over night stop, 1800 miles. We are in our 60's. I advise you to have plenty of snacks on hand as chewing helps keep you awake, nuts, cookies, carrots, whatever. Also, if you don't have Waze on your phone get it. It alerts you to accidents, back ups, cops and will give an alternative route if needed. Good luck.