cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice on 19 F350 options

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
First post on this forum. Been on the TT forum for years. Kids are older now and we are selling the TT and Excursion.
Looking into 19 F350 and the necessary options for truck camper. We have not bought a camper yet but figure it will be in the 3k# -3500# range This is our first truck camper but have had numerous travel trailers so not new to rving. Besides camping truck will also be used on the farm doing various chores and pulling a livestock trailer. It will be replacing two older cab and chasis trucks.
The questions I had were:
Axle ratio, since it will be hauling a heavy truck camper is 4:30 advisable or the 3:73? Camper will be used primarily on the beach/ in the sand.Other trips it will be towing a 14 foot motorcycle trailer in addition to having camper in the bed.
Alterantor/ battery combo?
Shift on the fly 4X4 or delete it for the manual shifter? One of the older c/c trucks had the manual shifter and we liked it. Less to break, it lasted over thirty years and still works.
Lastly I was planning on doing the 11400 GVWR upgrade.
Open to other suggestions/ advice.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends
16 REPLIES 16

rickjo
Explorer
Explorer
2 Piece wrote:
Why not get the 14000# GVW package?? My 2018 f350 4x4, dually, 6.7 diesel crew cab, 8' bed has the 14000# gvw package and payload on door sticker say 5525#

My 2019 Crew Cab Gasser has the 14000# option at no add'l cost but my cargo capacity is 6500# !!!. That heavy diesel explains the diff. I have been very happy with the 6.2l V8, particularly since the price of diesel has been running about $0.50 more wherever I have been traveling lately. In Sept., the difference was over $1 in the Colorado mountains. 6.2l hauls my HEAVY Lance 1181 quite easily.

BTW, my aftermarket rear view camera mounted on the camper license plate bracket easily replaced the tailgate cam so I can still see what is behind me when backing up.

Rick
2019 F-350 4WD Crew Cab DRW 6.2 l gas engine (6500 lbs cargo capacity!)
2007 LanceMax 1181 loaded, King memory foam mattress (driver's side locker omitted).
"Leave the trail a little better than you found it."

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
2 Piece wrote:
Why not get the 14000# GVW package?? My 2018 f350 4x4, dually, 6.7 diesel crew cab, 8' bed has the 14000# gvw package and payload on door sticker say 5525#

I am curious about this too.

Why not get the 14,000 GVW?

2_Piece
Explorer
Explorer
2018 F350 6.7 diesel, 4x4, DRW, crew cab, 8' box.
2018 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE.

Those that do not read have no advantage over those who can not.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Shop around. When I was building my Ford truck, I found a dealer within 100 miles who offer $6000 discount under retail.
Ford rebates on top of that.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
IMO get the upfitter switches, it's a cheap option and they are handy. I use one to force my rearview/backup camera on. on the 2017+ they are rather hard to add after the fact.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
11.5k gvw is default, good to know. Guess thats why 11.4 was a no cost "option", lol.
We are getting the gasser and the 4.30.
Getting quotes back now from several dealers. Seeing a 2k range between them. We do qualify for some rebates to.
The dealer with best price was also the most thorough with the quote. He picked up on a glich in the ford program I used on the site and the one he uses to order. I was able to build the truck with out the up fitter switches but his program made the switches a required option based on what I built. It had a minor effect on the price. I like a detailed person handling my order.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You should read our fellow member report from Pismo Beach.
Not only he took his RWD truck with heavy camper on beach drive, but he was pulling a trailer.

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
unlike a certain other posters comments 4x4 is a must if you are going out in the sand and on beaches or off into the snow and mud. You didn't specify the engine but I prefer the 6.7L diesel. My TC weighs 4500#s loaded and my horse trailer depending on how many horses are loaded can range up to 7000#s and I tow it with the TC in the bed. Get the camper package for the front and rear anti sway bars and heavier suspension

SRW with a 3000#+ wet weight TC is going to be near the tire load limits on the stock set up, Dually nowhere close

just my opinion having had both a SRW and A Dually F350 crew cab with 4x4
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

stufarmer
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
in case you didn't know, the 11,400GVW option is actually a paper downgrade. 11,500 is the default for an F350 SRW

True. Default is 11,500 lbs. F350 4x4, at minimum, Lariat Value pkg,(Heated and Cooled Seats are nice) 6.2 V8, 4:30 Locker, Medium Battery option (dual batteries) Up-Fitter Switches, Snow Plow/Camper pkg, 5th Wheel pkg, Cab Lights, LED Bed Lights and Tow Cameras.
I suggest doing your own Bed Line X. The factory standard Halogen Headlights are terrible.
The LED upgrade is worth every cent. Unfortunately it's only available in a Crew Cab configuration. The Fx4 option is truly worthless, just check the Skid Plate option for $100.
Sync 3 is a wonderful thing, so is the Carpet Delete option. As far as Shift on the Fly .. I've never had a problem, plus I prefer the Bucket Seats and Center Console. BLIS option doesn't work with the Camper on, but it's great if you're towing. Adaptive Cruise Control is my new best friend, but it's also only available in Crew Cab.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
in case you didn't know, the 11,400GVW option is actually a paper downgrade. 11,500 is the default for an F350 SRW
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Rustofer
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like you're getting the gasser, with those axle ratios. I have a '17 F350 CCLB 4x4 6.2 and have approx 4200 lb payload. To do it again I'd order the 4.30 axle, dual batteries and upfitter switches. I have BLIS which is useless with the camper on. Love the power-scope mirrors. And the ESOF works well for us. Factory running boards are good - these are tall trucks. And Sync 3. Also the camper package does not give you an in-bed plug: you need the 5th wheel prep package for that.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2017 F350 dually and with 3.55 differential the powerstroke flys all the grades on overdrive no matter if with 6000 lb camper, or 8000 of cargo.
I consider 4x4 waste of money for additional trouble with 3" additional height, but even for hot climate I figured small additional charge for electric cabin heater might be worth it.
The option forced me into dual alternators, but I can live with it 😉

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input/ advice so far. Yeah according to the site you can still get the manual control which I like. No charge or credit to delete the shift on the fly. Were specing an extended cab with 8 foot bed and want to stay in the 350 platform.
So far liking the Lance 850. Wet weight of 2835#.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Have you considered moving up to an F450?