cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route to Oaxaca

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Driving to Oaxaca from Chicago first of January. Any tips or route info would be much appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Go down one and return on another. The best thing about Tetepan's recommendation is that further south is the turnoff to Misol Ha, Palenque and San Cristobal de Las Casas. One of the reasons I like the center route is it is multi-lanes with very few tolls. One of the few places in the country I feel less strain being super cautious. Short side jogs take a person to Sn Miguel de Allende, and Guanajuato Colonial Cities.

It's much the same as a family plan for visiting Disney World. A whirlwind of destinations.

Talleyho69
And the most interesting! They are all things to weigh.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Forget efficiency you need the safest route.

Moisheh

sdickbos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for all your replies. We are going to take our time but would like to take the most efficient route.

tepetapan
Explorer
Explorer
Straight down to the tip of Texas, cross at Los Indios free trade bridge. Follow HWY 180 to the Veracruz city toll road interchange. Head West towards Puebla, catch the north south toll road to Oaxaca city.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
We like the Nogales straight down to Oaxaca route. There are some amazing natural sites along the way.

Are you looking for the fastest route, the most scenic, things to see and do along the way or what?

A good route, but from the east (Chicago) a long way out of the way.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Talleyho69
We like the Nogales straight down to Oaxaca route. There are some amazing natural sites along the way.

Are you looking for the fastest route, the most scenic, things to see and do along the way or what?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
To Eagle Pass Texas

Cross border. Mex 57 and 57-D is an inexpensive, safe 4 lane route.

Decision time approaching Mexico City

I still prefer at San Juan del Rio to head east to Pachuca, then south toward Tlaxcala. Toll road free. Fairly rapid. Then a short zig to the left at Puebla lines you up with the toll highway to Oaxaca.

I still do not trust the myriad of laws and regulations in the state of Mexico. I'd much rather save toll money and potential cop hassles and take my old route above. Every time I hear about the bypass around Mexico City by toll road I hear of three new cops hassles.

Take it easy on the Puebla Oaxaca 2-lane toll road. No matter how fast or slow I drive, there are cars trucks and buses driving faster or slower.

I find driving in downtown Oaxaca to be a bummer. Absolutely no parking spaces within thousands of yards. Taxis are not cheap but buses are. Line your bus route up with a fellow RV'er.