cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV Covers in snowy areas.

4gone
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has experience with an RV cover that functions well in a snowy climate. Pro's and con's? What brand, model of cover?
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31G
2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Even Brake
Firestone air bags
Blue Ox Alladin tow bar
Hankook Tires
35 REPLIES 35

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:
When I bought my new one, I made sure it would fit in my barn so snow or bad weather is a non issue. In fact, it stays inside all the time when not in use. Mine is 5 years old now (build date) and looks like new.

Amazing how well they hold up when out of the elements.

So your cover suggestion is for the OP to store his camper in your barn?
Or that he should build a barn?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
During the winter is he only time I put a cover on ours. Never had an issue. Just be sure to Ladd all corners Anne protrusions that could poke a hole in the cover.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
For the last 2years I have used a 36x14 ft billboard tarp. Total cost was about 30.00 shipped. Super tough and already has anchor points built in. It's heavy, but it's worth using because it's not going to rip, or let water thru.. Period. And for the price, I'm getting a new one this year and using the old one for covering firewood stacks. Billboardvinyls.com
Proud father of a US Marine

computermonkey
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
Mitch,

But, if I headed that advice, I'd probably be on my 2nd or 3rd trailer by now... I park mine at home, under some trees, so to say the least, it gets pretty dirty..

This was several years ago and the cover was about 10 years old at this point. I have since gotten a new one, but the trailer still looks great!

Mitch

tenbear wrote:
Never used a cover on mine and we gets lots of snow up here in Vermont. Have never had a problem with the roof and it has been 12 years.

SidecarFlip wrote:
When I bought my new one, I made sure it would fit in my barn so snow or bad weather is a non issue. In fact, it stays inside all the time when not in use. Mine is 5 years old now (build date) and looks like new.

Amazing how well they hold up when out of the elements.

Hi All,

There are several post I saw where cover have been used with success. Can you please share the make and model of your cover.

We live in Oklahoma, hot sun in the summer. Our first camper we had you could see the damage. I wanting to protect the truck camper better. Do not have a way right now to build a car port or shed to storage it in.

Thanks,
New
2013 RAM Crew Cab, 3500 4x4
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 wet bath
Old
2016 Eagle Cap 960
2004 Jayco Talon ZX
1998 GMC Suburban with a Cummins 6BT conversion.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:

My neighbor used to shrink-wrap just the top of his class c - left the door available so they could go inside and check on it. Worked great! If you were going to do the whole RV, I'd add a few buckets of Damp-Rid to the inside, just in case.
I've been considering doing just that. We don't even need the Damp Rid up here in the inland northwest.

The neighbor removed it carefully in the spring; and was able to use it several years afterward. I think he sold the Class C before the shrink-wrap actually wore out? He also put that on an old boat lift with a canopy that had been shredded by the wind - to my knowledge, it's still in use years later! That stuff is tough!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
d3500ram wrote:
What about shrink-wrapping an RV like they do to boats when they are pulled from the lake?

My neighbor used to shrink-wrap just the top of his class c - left the door available so they could go inside and check on it. Worked great! If you were going to do the whole RV, I'd add a few buckets of Damp-Rid to the inside, just in case.
I've been considering doing just that. We don't even need the Damp Rid up here in the inland northwest.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
d3500ram wrote:
What about shrink-wrapping an RV like they do to boats when they are pulled from the lake?

Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

x96mnn
Explorer
Explorer
I would stay away if the soul purpose is because of the snow.

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
4gone wrote:
Ok, basically I think majority has agreed with my opinion. We've had RVs for over 20 years this is our fourth world. We had our last one for 11 years with no cover and never have an issue with the exception of Stripes fading overtime. I asked this question in two different forums and the general consensus is no cover. I've never really considered one just for the work of getting it on and off. My thought was it would go on one in December and not come off until probably March but my other worry was if I wanted to clear the roof it would make it exceedingly difficult. I also use the generator if we lose power at the house and I could see that being a potential issue as well. If I had a hundred people come on and tell me the virtues of having one I may have looked at it differently. Thanks for the replies.

I live in mass also I can't believe you wouldn't put a cover onWe have been putting it our travel trailer every year in the past
Since we bought a Class A inside storage from now on there is to much money invested not to with new England's rough winters

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Inside storage

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
pianotuna wrote:
Mitch,

I've never seen a cover on an RV in Regina.
The business where I store my RV has 7 acres of RV's. There is not ONE that is covered.

I think covers are good way to separate an RV'er from the money in their wallet, and an even better way to damage the skin of an RV when there is wind causing the cover to move and abrade the finish.

Appreciate the comment Don.

But, if I headed that advice, I'd probably be on my 2nd or 3rd trailer by now... I park mine at home, under some trees, so to say the least, it gets pretty dirty..

This was several years ago and the cover was about 10 years old at this point. I have since gotten a new one, but the trailer still looks great!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
Been soft covering for 12 years. Would have had a car port built if I could, but I can't.

Pros, keeps the trailer clean and out of the sun.

Cons, cost, hassle of putting it on, taking it off, and storing. The key is securing it enough and covering anything that can cut it.

One year the cover rubbed the rubber roof edges on my Starcraft when I didn't have the cover secured from the wind very well, didn't do any permanent damage but had me worried for a bit. Think it just rubbed the white oxidized layer off, the white **** you wash off, I think.

On my new trailer some grit got blown under the cover once and the upper corners had it ground in. Again when the wind got under it due to not being tied down enough which is hard to due on a trailer with round edges. It's all fiberglass so it buffed right out.

As I write this I wonder if the cover is worth it. 10 years with no damage vs 2 with. Got a month to decide.

Observations, had a cheap Adco cover, it shredded in less then 2 winters and if you wait to long to get one they are out of stock!

The good Tyvek one I had worked well, lasted 6 years before it just disintegrated. It was light and easy to work with, still got holes in it from anything remotely sharp but held together.

Currently have a Calmark. Expensive, heavy to work with and bulky to store. It does hug the sides well due to it's weight, very thick and soft. 3 years now and no sign of holes from sharp edges.

I would suggest getting Tyvek if you want to cover. The Calmark is a better cover but it's too hard to work with. Might be better with a roof you can walk on, I can't walk on mine.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
mine never left a single mark.

Same here, on 3 different trailers since 10 from late Nov until late March, 4 if I count the 2009 Popup we had for 1 year. Our average is 32" of snow per year. What are these people buying for covers that leave marks? The ones with 80 grit sandpaper for the underside?

I guess car covers scratch up the finish also? Funny how the cover on the black 76 Vette I had didn't mark anything, and it was on for about 5 years straight until it literally fell apart from UV exposure.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
If covers are so wonderful why do RV dealers not use them?

Removing a cover at -30 would be quite a task.

Probably the same reason car dealers don't have their inventory in a large garage. They are on display to be sold. Many people buy cars, take them home and keep them in a garage.
It's up to the consumer to decide how to care for their vehicle.
Why do people wax their RV's and cars? The dealer doesn't do it, unless you pay a small fee. ๐Ÿ™‚