cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New tires for tow vehicle

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 F-150 4x4 Supercrew with 3.5L Ecoboost and I pull a 2008 Fleetwood Wilderness 240RKS with a dry/ unloaded weight of 5,440 pounds.

We're needing to get a new set of tires for the pickup and I'm looking for recommendations. We are NOT full-timers and pull seasonally, but I use the pickup year 'round. Anything y'all are just thrilled with?

Thanks in advance!
2020 Heartland Wilderness 2500RL
2013 Ford F-150 3.5L Eccoboost Supercrew 4x4, Max tow package
2 Honda 2000 watt Generators
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan
Days camped so far in 2020: 0
26 REPLIES 26

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
Got my Michelin (DEFENDER LTX MS 275/65R18) tires installed. Hope they last! ๐Ÿ™‚

Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:
LVJJJ wrote:
You are in Les Schwab country (Oregon). Buy his Toyo's, been using them for decades, nary a problem, great service

I actually have a set of Towstar trailer tires on my trailer from Les Schwab. So far they've been good tires.

All of my vehicles have Les Schwab tires and I've never had a blowout. Currently the Suburban is running Toyo Open Country H/T's, 10 ply, 80 lb pressure, although I run 'em at 75. TT has Schwab Chinese trailer tires, run them at 55 lbs, never a blow out, plus they scoff at the idea you have to replace them every 5 years, ridiculous. HHR is running Toyo's, even the 65 Chevy Van has Schwab's old standard steel belted radials, maybe 10 years old, no cracks, not going to replace them til the tread is gone, don't need to.

Free tire rotation, balance, flat repair at any one of their stores.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
You are in Les Schwab country (Oregon). Buy his Toyo's, been using them for decades, nary a problem, great service

I actually have a set of Towstar trailer tires on my trailer from Les Schwab. So far they've been good tires.
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
IMHO, yo can not beat Michelin LTX. They wear extremely well. There are 2 different tread patterns available. The A/T 2 version is a bit louder.

X2
I Have been using the michelin ltx for 20 years on 2 trucks. rotate everyother oil change.. 55k to 60k per set

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

treyster
Explorer
Explorer
Tire Rack has a nice chart showing size, weight, psi, load ratings in lbs etc. Just search tire by size and click on one of the results and look at the specs tab. The chart should show up

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I also recommend looking at the tire weight of whatever size you pick. I found tires in the same size (LT265/70R17) from 44 pounds to 65 pounds. The heavier ones will use have a negative effect on fuel consumption, acceleration, and braking. I had some heavy BFG AT KO tires on my last truck. While they looked awesome, the 10 pound lighter Dualer Revo I replaced them with had considerable improvements.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
bartlettj wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I would get an E rated LT tire. I've tried lots of brands without noticing a whole lot of difference.

E rated LT tires require 60+ psi, so you need wheels that can stand them,and you will need to get your tpms limits updated so you don't get over pressure warnings.

Actually E rated are 80 psi. Never mind I just reread it, 60+ psi would be up to 80 psi.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever tire you get go with LT tires in a "C" or "D" rating. "E" would just be too much unless you have the HD payload pkg.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I would get an E rated LT tire. I've tried lots of brands without noticing a whole lot of difference.

E rated LT tires require 60+ psi, so you need wheels that can stand them,and you will need to get your tpms limits updated so you don't get over pressure warnings.

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
I bought Michelin LTX M/S2 4 years and 60k miles ago for the Suburban. They have been fantastic in every condition. They do look humble, but wet, dry, and snow performance is great plus good fuel economy and quiet comfortable ride. I also ordered the above tire to replace them and should get installed later this week.

Excellent!! Thanks for the good report!
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan

APT
Explorer
Explorer
LeBout wrote:
I opted for the Michelin DEFENDER LTX MS 275/65R18. Costco was selling them on a special price ($70 off and 1 cent per tire for installation). Deal ended tonight so I pulled the trigger. Hope I'm happy with 'em. ๐Ÿ™‚

I bought Michelin LTX M/S2 4 years and 60k miles ago for the Suburban. They have been fantastic in every condition. They do look humble, but wet, dry, and snow performance is great plus good fuel economy and quiet comfortable ride. I also ordered the above tire to replace them and should get installed later this week.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
After going through a set of supposedly top end tires in less than 40,000 miles, I forgot all the hype and went for the longest warranty.

I found a set pro-rated for 75,000 miles. That was over two years ago. So far, so good.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

LeBout
Explorer
Explorer
TUCQUALA wrote:
Look into Cooper, their LT's also have mileage warranties. And, American made, almost all of them.

Out-the-door price on the Cooper tires was $1164.41. I like Coopers and have them on my wife's car, but the Michelins at Costco came to $900 out-the-door so it was hard to pass up.
Eastern Oregon, USA

Our Trailer
Our Floorplan