cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What the air pressure for front air bags

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
Winnebago Sightseer 2004, 28 foot Chevy engine tires 2257or19.5F tire pressure 75 psi But the air bags have not found any information so far.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
10 REPLIES 10

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
For my P30 motor home - not my Sightseer, my ownerโ€™s manual gave the following ranges:

4,300 LB front suspensions = 10 psi to 50 psi
5,000 LB front suspensions = 40 psi to 50 psi
5,300 LB front suspensions = 50 psi to 80 psi
5,500 LB front suspensions = 60 psi to 100 psi

For the proper adjustment it says to inflate the air bags to the maximum pressure for your vehicle, load the motor home, park it on a level surface and then reduce the air pressure as needed to level the motor home but donโ€™t reduce it below the minimum.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
mike brez wrote:
To do it correctly you need to lift front end off ground deflate bags then fill to desired pressure.

Check out page 10 HERE

Sorry, At no time does Chevy require you to LIFT the front end off the ground to air up the SUSPENSION IN COIL SPRING air bags. I don't get where you read this in your link. The main thing is, this is a REQUIRED part for Chevy P chassis with Chevy installed Air bags. It has to do with getting the front end to correct weight carrying capacity for the weight of the Motorhome. A LOT of people think they are ride suspension and quality of ride air bags. They are not. They must be in working order at correct air pressure for Ride handling and correct alignment. Doug

HERE on page 46

Screen shot

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
mike brez wrote:
To do it correctly you need to lift front end off ground deflate bags then fill to desired pressure.

Check out page 10 HERE

Sorry, At no time does Chevy require you to LIFT the front end off the ground to air up the SUSPENSION IN COIL SPRING air bags. I don't get where you read this in your link. The main thing is, this is a REQUIRED part for Chevy P chassis with Chevy installed Air bags. It has to do with getting the front end to correct weight carrying capacity for the weight of the Motorhome. A LOT of people think they are ride suspension and quality of ride air bags. They are not. They must be in working order at correct air pressure for Ride handling and correct alignment. Doug

No that was a link to psi to weight.
I will have to see if I have the procedure somewhere in my files. It's been awhile sence I had my p30 and ditched a bunch of the stuff I had saved.l
But from memory that is not so great I'm sure I'm mistaken.
2015 Wrangler JKU

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mike brez wrote:

Check out page 10 HERE

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Big Redneck wrote:
Winnebago Sightseer 2004, 28 foot Chevy engine tires 2257or19.5F tire pressure 75 psi But the air bags have not found any information so far.

I think 90psi is about max and hopefully that will give you the proper ride height of 1 3/4 - 2 1/2". If the coils are getting fatigued, as they always do, the air bags, won't raise it much at all, so the only cure is to replace the springs with after market coils, of which Henderson super steer's are most popular.
When you might lose an air bag on the road somewhere, you might as well let the air out of the other one, until you can do something with it. We chose to eliminate them all together and install the heavier coils. Best thing you can do with the front end of a P32 chassis, IMO.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer

Check out page 10 HERE
2015 Wrangler JKU

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I check the air pressure and it was 30. I will pump to 50 now. Thanks
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
It is my understanding that you set your air pressure based on ride height.

1 1/2 - 2โ€ I think, but canโ€™t remember. Measured from the A arm to frame.

I replaced my bags with Supersteer springs and have erased all of that stuff from my hard drive (brain).

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
On my P32 chassis, same tire size, I ran 50#.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I ran 50 front and 70 in the back on my P30 chassis, but the pressure is set by the bag manufacturer, not necessarily the chassis. You could try asking on the Winnie owner's forum over on iRV2.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox