cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailair Flex Air, MORryde SRE4000, opinions please.

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I are considering some long trips. One in particular is to Alaska. We have a 2012 Ram 3500 HO (high output). Tow a 2010 Laredo 316RL. That said I am looking at two specific upgrades. I am considering a Trailair Flex Air pin box the MORryde SRE4000,and would appreciate inputs, pro and con. What are the real benefits or either, or both? Obviously looking at about $1500 in parts so is my rig going to benefit? I would appreciate your inputs!
6 REPLIES 6

sjturbo
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I currently have the equaflex which has seen better days.

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I install the sre4000 to replace the equaflex and it work a lot better.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
My 3 axle Carriage has factory installed Mor/Ryde 4000 RE - it really works well compared to a conventional equalizer spring ride, making the suspension โ€œsemi independentโ€ kinda...

Both my irrelevant old Dodge (2006) and Kenworth have pretty soft riding full rear air suspensions so I have not gone beyond the Mor/Ryde rubber sheer spring action pin box. It really settled down the chucking when towing with the pickup. The KW weighs almost the same as the trailer so there is evidence in the dust in the slide area of the pin box of fore and aft motion it is not felt much in the cab.

On todayโ€™s roads you cannot isolate fragile loads and interiors too much ...

2naEagle
Explorer
Explorer
I have the SRE4000 on my 5th wheel and do highly recommend them.
I also have a MORryde pin box and love it. The best thing I have is the Trailer Saver BD5. After having a air ride hitch I don't think I can ever be without it again.
Here's a comparison of the CRE3000 and the SRE4000. The SRE4000 is definitely a lot beefier.

2020 F350 Limited CCSB SRW
2017 North Point 315RLTS
2021 Jayco Greyhawk 29MV

lenr
Explorer II
Explorer II
We pull a 27' fifth wheel (~9400 lb.) with our 2012 F-350 SRW CCSB. We first installed a MORryde pin box to reduce chucking. I'd say it reduced the horizontal chucking by 50%. MORryde doesn't do anything for vertical motion like the other pin boxes do, but it doesn't cost much and works pretty well on the horizontal motion. However, we love the MORryde 4000. Wow, what a difference from before with a Lippert Equa-Flex Equalizer (which didn't seem like it helped at all.) If doing it again, I would install the MORryde 4000 before I did anything else because it made such a difference. In addition, I would also assume that the jarring to the trailer is dramatically reduced. In our case we always would have to re-position the microwave plate after every trip--after the 4000 installation, we only have to re-position the plate about 1/4th of the time. The 4000 system does need a lot of vertical motion so some trailers need a sub-frame installation. We had MORryde factory Riser Tube installation done on our trailer to get the clearance (that we also needed to level the trailer.) We still have the jolt from the pickup truck axles hitting tar bumps and bridge transitions. A pin box that allows for vertical motion might help reduce that, but I'd absolutely start with a 4000 system before doing anything else because it is so effective at reducing shock to the trailer.

fredcrowley
Explorer
Explorer
I have both installed on my 2014 Forest River Sierra 5th wheel bought new by me - 43' long, hitch weight 2900#, RV weight loaded 16,000#. I tow it with a 2018 Ford F-350 dually 6.7L diesel. we are full-timers travelling extensively throughout the US and Canada.

The trailair hitch assembly (air bag + shock) really reduces the "chucking". The level of chucking is highly dependent upon the road surface. Even with this hitch assembly, transitions from asphalt to concrete surfaces, frost heaves, and pot holes, can still be felt but not close to being as severe without a cushioning hitch. In my opinion, the cushioning effect of the hitch reduces strain on the chassis of the 5th wheel. Monitoring with the rear view mirror in the truck, I can see the rig's nose moving up and down on rougher roads. With a solid hitch, those shocks are administered directly to the 5th wheel chassis.

I have the MoRyde SRE4000 suspension on the rig as well. The MoRyde system has much more robust sprint hangers and spring equalizers than the stock suspension, plus a reinforcing cross member from the spring equalizer points. The greasable bolts and bronze bushings are much more robust. I had this installed on my rig at about 4K miles. The stock nylon bushings for the spring bolts were pretty much shredded and worn out.

I've since put about 60K miles on the rig (with the trailair hitch and MoRyde. Check everything out several times a year - no problems at all. In my opinion they are well worth the expense.