cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2019 Ford F450 options for camper use

Snowcamp
Explorer
Explorer
I'm preparing to order a 19 F450 Lariat Diesel with pick-up bed to replace my 07 F350 for hauling 1160 Eagle Cap. I'm trying to confirm which option packages to add to the F450 that will work with my camper. We keep camper on truck 90% of the time and tow an enclosed snowmobile trailer. Hoping someone has experience with new Ford options and how they interact with camper and can give me opinion on which options to include in new truck order.

I'm a bit concerned about new overall height as my current set up only has about 1.5" of clearance to get through garage door. From measuring trucks on the lot compared to my 07, it appears actual truck bed floor height is the same in current 07 F350 (17" tires) and new F450 (19.5" tires). Per Eagle Cap new 19 F450 will carry 1160 with no modifications but they do recommend 3/4" bed mat.

The Ford descriptions and sales staff I have access to have given vague answers.

The one option I have decided against is the Ford sun/moon roof, as I have had the camper strike the top of my F350 clearance lights a couple times and do not want glass above my head.

The options I'm looking for advice on are:
1. "Camper prep" package ($180) from the description it sounds like all I will get on a F450 with this package is a sticker in glove box that says camper capable.
2. "5th Wheel Hitch Prep Package" ($500). Appears to be only way to get an in the bed 12V plug to plug in camper. On some internet searches I have found some claims that this plug can not actually be used for slide in camper as it will cause the trailer tire monitoring system to not work properly, may not charge camper battery and may cause trailer brake system to not work properly. I would like this option for re-sale but want to be able to use in bed 12V plug for camper.
3. "BLIS" Blind Spot Monitoring for truck and trailer ($540). Appears while carrying camper I may be able to use BLIS for trailer and side of truck warnings.
4. "Tow Technology Bundle" ($1970). Looks like this will give 360 camera system that may have some use while hauling and loading camper and will give trailer tire pressure monitoring after purchasing extra TIPMS valve stems for trailer.

In addition to the Ford options I plan to add Firestone rear air bags, Stable Loads bump stops (top leafs only) and Torklift tiedowns with Superhitch. I use this on current F350.

If you have experience with the new Fords and what is worth adding to 19 F450 truck order let me know.
Thanks
Scott
44 REPLIES 44

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
How much was Ford tailgate camera?
I did not check the prices and I have no intention to put my tailgate back for years to come, so pulling the camera from it was straight forward decision.
But for those who use truck for different purposes, getting 2nd camera might be better option.
At one point I was considering Ford trailer camera, but they are not only expensive, but I would loose the 360 option, I guess.

I use the truck for more than just the TC. It was about $175 which I felt was fair given it will work similar to the tailgate. The 360 option is what I am after. I ordered a 10ft cable that should be here in a few days.
2022 Ram Laramie 5500 60" CA New pic soon
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Dry Bath
Sold 2019 Ford F450 King Ranch (was a very nice truck)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
How much was Ford tailgate camera?
I did not check the prices and I have no intention to put my tailgate back for years to come, so pulling the camera from it was straight forward decision.
But for those who use truck for different purposes, getting 2nd camera might be better option.
At one point I was considering Ford trailer camera, but they are not only expensive, but I would loose the 360 option, I guess.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Snowcamp, congrats on the new truck. I love my F450. I have air bags and might look at stableloads. With only air bags, the truck was rock stable and really a pleasure to drive.

SoonDockin
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kayteg1 wrote:
Congratulations on new truck. Where is the picture?
I guess you've got 4x4 who is listed 3" taller than RWD, but they do stand up pretty much on parking lot.
You will find my topic how I used tailgate camera on camper in this section.

I thought the height difference was only on the single rear wheel F250/F350.

I bought the same camera that is in the tailgate from ford. I have yet to install it, waiting on my cable to show up. I plan to mount it in the rear wall.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on new truck. Where is the picture?
I guess you've got 4x4 who is listed 3" taller than RWD, but they do stand up pretty much on parking lot.
You will find my topic how I used tailgate camera on camper in this section.

Snowcamp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for info. Looks like good camera options. A bit more than Iโ€™m willing to spend right now, funds going to making garage door bigger.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Congrats on the new truck! Camera Source is a good place to buy a camera. They have different cable lengths so keep that in mind if you want to mount it high. https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/ford-oe-fit.html

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Snowcamp
Explorer
Explorer
All,
Thanks for the helpful advice. I went ahead and purchased 19 F450 Silver Lariat. Truck was ordered on 12/23 and received on 3/8/19. I chose not to purchase adaptive cruise or rear heated seats but did get all other options. I chose to go with the upgraded front camper/plow option.

In order to get my Eagle Cap 1160 to safely clear cab antenna I put 3/4โ€ horse stall mat and 1/2โ€ plywood into bed. EC stated only 3/4 mat needed, not the case for me I had to also add the plywood.
For camper tie downs I went with TL Talons which are made from aluminum and stainless steel. I was tired of the rust on my old TL steel tie downs and hope the Talons will solve the rust issue.

On the topic of rust, the primary reason I traded in my F350 that only had 56,000 miles was due to rust so Iโ€™m going to try to keep the new truck as protected from rust as possible. When new truck was delivered it already had some surface rust on rear end and other undercarriage areas. I removed all surface rust then primed and painted black with tractor paint (3 coats). I then sprayed undercarriage with Woolwax. I will now watch to see if this rust protect plan works.

Unfortunately new F450 with camper on is too tall to fit into my RV garage. Next step enlarging door opening to 13โ€™ and changing to steel roll up door. Getting truck was happy day, finding out it would not fit into garage not so happy day..... Yes we did measure garage and used Ford on-line specs to try and determine if new truck would fit, end result is Ford specs are not exact and the slope of my driveway cause new truck not to fit.

So far driving truck with camper on is huge difference for the better compared to my 07 F350. I have only added TL upper stable loads to F450 may still add air bags. New truck is quieter, more stable, turns substantially tighter and has more power.

Next truck project is determining best plan to add camera to rear of camper utilizing the truck tailgate wiring when tailgate removed.

LosAngeles
Explorer
Explorer
I am bummed that blind spot monitoring may weโ€™ll see the wings of a Hallmark pop up. And not work properly.

Hallmark we would get is 83โ€ wide.

Thoughts ?

Thanks.

J.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Like I said, compare MY and don't generalize anything.
My 2006 Ford F350 was C&C. DW refused to ride with me empty as that thing created huge headaches.
The 2017 F350 empty ride is still bad, but way better than previous years and sulastic hangers improved it quite a bit.
And again, new truck not only has lighter bed, what increase payload but seems suspension is stronger as well. It was holding my max 6500lb of camper just fine.
I eventually add hockey pucks to upper overloads, but that was just in case.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
......I will say though that the 4.30 gears are overkill unless you are towing, but in the mountains that I regularly drive, itโ€™s nice to have zero issues with pulling whatever I want. Still amazed how tight it turns. Way tighter than the SuperCab F350 SRW that it replaced.

Yeah, I really wish there had been at least a 4.10 option on the F450 pickups. I rarely tow anything, and havenโ€™t towed anything while hauling the truck camper in at least 10 years. Iโ€™ve spent the last few weeks traveling around in AZ, CA, UT, and NV buzzing up and down grades with ease. If thereโ€™s room to pass while climbing, I pass.

But it could be worse, one other option I was looking at before I bought this truck was an F450 cab and chassis, because you could still get the V10 gas motor on those trucks. The only axle ratio available with the V10 is 4.88. That and the cost of putting a pickup bed on it caused me to rule it out.

Iโ€™ve also said โ€œIโ€™m sure glad Iโ€™m not towing anythingโ€ at least a dozen times on this trip. Usually while on some forest road after driving into an area that has very little room to maneuver a long vehicle. I was making multi-point U-turns even with the wide track front axle.

Kayteg, I know you were just jerking my chain comparing your old cab and chassis F450 with your 2017 350. Night and day difference for sure. In all seriousness, the two F450 pickups Iโ€™ve had have been the nicest riding, quietest, and comfortable trucks Iโ€™ve owned and hauled TCโ€™s with. I actually thought the 2010 F450 ride couldnโ€™t possibly be improved on, it was that good. Ford did manage to squeeze a little more improvement out of the platform between 2010 and 2016 though, so I give them credit for that.

My only complaint about my 2016 is the amount it has to squat before it touches the single overload spring. I have upper Stableloads on it which makes it better, but one of these days Iโ€™m going to take it to a spring shop and have them do what I wish Ford would have done: put a 2 or 3 spring overload pack on it. Then, as far as Iโ€™m concerned anyway, it will be perfect! :C

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1, of course, your F450 was a chassis model which is sprung quite a bit different than the pickup model. You probably wouldn't want the F350 chassis model either.

Not to mention over 10 years older.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:

Ask anyone who has used both an F350 and an F450 pickup (not a cab and chassis F450) to haul a big truck camper that puts the truck over the GVWR which one did a better job. A handful on this forum have, and I doubt any of them would go back to the F350.

I would never go back to my F450 ๐Ÿ˜‰
You should consider comparing MY.
I know older duallies F350 would squat a lot, but when I drop my 6000 lb camper on 2017 model, the truck still leans forward and I have to put planks under front wheels for level parking.
Old F450 would rattle a lot keeping about 2500 rpm at cruising speed, while new diesel cruising at 1600 rpm can't be hear inside and I can enjoy Sirius on Opera channel. :B

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
True that the F450 is an amazing platform if it is a model with 19.5s and the awesome brakes. Sure, I went from a SRW with 19.5s to a DRW, too, but it is hard to imagine a better pickup platform for a truck camper. I will say though that the 4.30 gears are overkill unless you are towing, but in the mountains that I regularly drive, itโ€™s nice to have zero issues with pulling whatever I want. Still amazed how tight it turns. Way tighter than the SuperCab F350 SRW that it replaced.